WRL - RU try again

Discussion in 'International' started by siv, Jan 27, 2019.

1. siv

siv Bench

Well our RU folk again fired a shot across the RL bow

They are thinking of promoting a 6 nations winner v A-NZ-SA-Arg RU Championship winner the World Rugby League

This will backfire for them now. RL can now use this as clear example that it is just a RU match using the word League to mean competition and nothing to do with RL sport

2. Disinterested third party

Disinterested third party Bench

3. Pommy

Pommy Coach

You would think in Australia, NZ and the UK at least there’s a good case to take this to court? Surely the established governing bodies have some kind of trademark on the term ‘rugby league’

Stallion likes this.
  4. siv

siv Bench

Depends if RU have a copyright on the word Rugby - which I think they shouldn't as it is a name if town first and foremost

5. miguel de cervantes

miguel de cervantes First Grade

After the whole jeu a xiii, the French ruling is something along the lines of the word "rugby" can't be claimed excusively - ie rugby union can't stop league using the word rugby. This doesn't stop union using the word league, though that would be weird.

There is already a Challenge Cup for union in Europe.

The new union pro comp in the states is called the Major Rugby League, but that is obviously sort of an American thing to call sports comps like that. Could you stop them? Probably not a reasonable grounds to do so.

I've always thought league should promote itself as simply "rugby" when appropriate, and Im sure this sort of "simplification" already happens implicitly in new markets and such.

This is going to be another one of 'those' threads....

adamkungl likes this.
  6. taipan

taipan Coach

I can feel an ulcer coming on.Never ends this sort of confusion and ru authorities would be well aware of the implications.

Stallion and DlEHARD like this.
  7. miguel de cervantes

miguel de cervantes First Grade

Let's not forget that the

[​IMG]
    already exists. They will be shocked and dismayed at such developments!!!

adamkungl likes this.
  8. DIOGENES

DIOGENES Juniors

I guess a major issue is that googling “Rugby League” could take you somewhere you don’t want to be

9. DIOGENES

DIOGENES Juniors

Then again mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery

10. TheEroticGamer

TheEroticGamer Juniors

Can they focus on making amends to French Rugby League for working with the nazis instead.

11. madunit

madunit Super Moderator Staff Member

Looks like a blatant attempt to get Australian's watching Union again.

I'll be surprised if this is allowed to go ahead with that name.

Stallion likes this.
  12. madunit

I can't believe that website s still in existence. Is it still a functioning body?

13. madunit

14. Whatwhere

Whatwhere Juniors

There isn't a set name for the concept yet. It's being referred to as the 'World League' not World Rugby League. Show me the news piece that states otherwise. Without that you're twisting facts to demonstrate a colossal chip on your shoulder. It's not even certain anything will come of it or what structure it will take. There's a lot of ideas being thrown around but that's it.

May be you're confusing 'World Rugby' the organisation behind it and the proposed 'World League' concept as being the likely name but that just speaks volumes to your lack of comprehension skills.

Again, no title has been at least publicly reported as yet and even then considering World Rugby as part of their sanctioning agreement with Andrew Forrest's group was that they couldn't use their original 'World Series Rugby' name I'd suggest that WSR will be more than likely their preferred name well before your concocted WRL.

15. Whatwhere

Whatwhere Juniors

16. Hello, I'm The Doctor

Hello, I'm The Doctor First Grade

It is our choice to keep the name of our closest rival and only distinguish ourselves with a work that is actually know across the world to mean “competition”. For this, we take the good and the bad...

If they cant stop us using “rugby”, we definitely cannot stop them from using “league”

If they think they can get an advantage and our detrement calling themselves Rugby League, that is their good planning and our shitty choice.

This is just the reality of continuing to call our sport Rugby Competition. People are naturally gonna think we are a rugby competition....

deluded pom? likes this.
  17. Whatwhere

Whatwhere Juniors

Except they aren't calling anything 'Rugby League'. They are working through a concept titled 'World League' but there's absolutely no guarantees that 1) That it will be the name of such a competition and 2) Whether this ever goes beyond the concept phase.

southwalesrabbitoh likes this.
  18. deluded pom?

deluded pom? Coach

When Ii read the thread title I thought rugby union had done the dirty on the Welsh Rugby League

southwalesrabbitoh and RedVee like this.
  19. deluded pom?

deluded pom? Coach

The people involved with RL aren’t that forward thinking unfortunately. They have missed the boat previously with other concept names they should have secured the naming rights to. The Rugby World Cup being the most notable.

20. DlEHARD

DlEHARD Juniors

Australia and New Zealand unions should know better than to stoop to this.

Stallion likes this.