What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Norman is overrated.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
So let me get this straight and according to the forum

Norman is overrated
Hunt is overrated
McInnes is overrated
Widdop is overrated
K. Sims is overrated
Dufty is overrated
Aitken is overrated
Graham is past it
Our wingers are useless
Lafai is past it
Lawrie isn't a first grader
Host is making up the numbers
Latimore is a plodder
Vaughan is turning into a plodder
Leilua has lost too much weight

Only Friz and T. Sims worth anything.

FMD, lets just throw our season away and not tune in again 'till 2020.

To clarify:

1. Yes
2. Definitely not
3. Yes
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. No
8. Yes
9. Definitely yes
10. No
11. No
12. Yes
13. Yes
14. Too early to say
15. No

Hope this helps,

possm

Coach
8 Vaughan 9 Hunt 10 Kerr 11 Host 12 Lulieu 13 Mcinnes 1 Dufty 2 Periera 3 Lomax 4 lafai 5 Ravalawa 6 widdop 7 Norman. ..14 Graham 15 Lawrie 16 Timm 17 Robson. Because we need some tall timber against the Burgess bros.yes I am dreaming MARY won't do this. ... ...... .......
Hunt is not a hooker, he lacks the defensive skills and durability to face up to the big middle forwards. The answer is clear, it is a hooker rotation of McInnes and Robson and the only reason why I believe Mary would be hesitant to give Robson a run is that he may have already indicated he will not be here next season.

Hunt is ok jumping into dummy half to execute particular plays but is far more valuable a halfback. The game plan is the problem, Hunt should be allowed to just pay what he sees in front of him; he has been more value to the team when confidently taking opportunities he sees.

Widdop is moving on and we have signed Norman long term. It would be no good at all to give up on Norman now, only to revisit the same issues in 2020. The coach needs to devise plans so that all of our spine needs to be encouraged to use their skills and for those skills that need developing, extra work with corrective drills need to be put in place until a satisfactory result is achieved.

JDHD

Juniors
So let me get this straight and according to the forum

Norman is overrated
Hunt is overrated
McInnes is overrated
Widdop is overrated
K. Sims is overrated
Dufty is overrated
Aitken is overrated
Graham is past it
Our wingers are useless
Lafai is past it
Lawrie isn't a first grader
Host is making up the numbers
Latimore is a plodder
Vaughan is turning into a plodder
Leilua has lost too much weight

Only Friz and T. Sims worth anything.

FMD, lets just throw our season away and not tune in again 'till 2020.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a single player that the forum was totally united on their quality who wasn’t playing for another team

hazzbeen

Bench
Not sure if he is overrated or not , all I know is if we get belted by South's this week , Norman will be thinking what the F**K have I done coming here ....

LINESPEED

Juniors
Not sure if he is overrated or not , all I know is if we get belted by South's this week , Norman will be thinking what the F**K have I done coming here ....

Certainly Bennett will be out for revenge - and will have the Rabbits fired up accordingly

With Widdop at the back now I just can’t see where our penetration will come from - and after 5 years of Waterboy’s personally crafted teams ( I use the word ‘crafted’ very loosely - manual rather than cerebral dexterity implied), lo and behold, we probably have the worst attacking 2-5 in the NRL ATM?

Everything about our 2-5 aligns with his psychological profile:
Fumbling
Inexperienced
Talentless
Onedimensional

The game IS about scoring points?

Last edited:

Belta

Juniors
There is no-one in Rugby League who's opinion I respect more than Sterlo's and I agree with him in this, I said it myself in an earlier thread. It seems so obvious and the only thing that makes sense is to re-instate the spine that absolutely killed it for us last year. When I first heard of the changes to accommodate someone who lead the wooden spooner's nowhere and heard some fans and commentators saying wow great idea, I thought I'd woken up in some crazy mixed up parallel universe and f**k me, the nightmare continues.

The truth is Norman is rated as being a good 5/8 and a good organizer but he's not. Even Brad Arthur finally realized that mid season last year and moved him to fullback ( where he fared no better ).
Sure he's a talented individual player and can pull off the occasional miracle play but he's just not in Widdop's class, not even close. I'm not part of the anti - Mary brigade but he's stuffed up with Widdop and Norman. The sooner he sorts it out the better,

Sterlo’s my fav league analyst. I idly listen to the views of others but I really sit and take note of Sterling’s comments. In this latest thread he highlights the importance of the short kicking game and how Widdop is up with the best one or two in in the game in the short kick department. This hits home with me. His comments about the speed factor being vital in the fullback role is also on the money.

It’s one game in and I think they should persist with Norman at 5/8 for more than just one game (ala the Mann at fullback cameo) but after Sterlos rant I’m more than just a little concerned.

nontime111

Juniors
the saddest part is, If we only let Widdop go at the end of last season

wed have Dufty at fullback so Field or Robson could get a crack at supersub to show their talent and if theyre good enough get em in there also....
I think Norman will come good probably this round

Loving Ravalawa!! that debut rough as it was was pure poetry hes an excitement machine!

wed have Dufty at fullback so Field or Robson could get a crack at supersub to show their talent and if theyre good enough get em in there also....

Loving Ravalawa!! that debut rough as it was was pure poetry hes an excitement machine!
I think your point about Widdop is very pertinent.
Why beg him to stay another season if he wants out.
Let him go and move on.
It would certainly not clog up the up and comers - especially Robson.
I understand why Widdop is popular but your club captain racking off mid contract is not a good look.
I have no idea why he is captain this year at all.
Makes very little sense to me.
We should be looking to the future.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
I think your point about Widdop is very pertinent.
Why beg him to stay another season if he wants out.
Let him go and move on.
It would certainly not clog up the up and comers - especially Robson.
I understand why Widdop is popular but your club captain racking off mid contract is not a good look.
I have no idea why he is captain this year at all.
Makes very little sense to me.
We should be looking to the future.
Your BOD is looking toward the future and it's Mc Gregor and they had to keep Widdop as nobody anyways decent is ever going to come whilst he is at the helm
Predominantly all we do is pick up cast offs, cheapies, supposed to be's, bad boys, depth and without Widdop this year it would be an absolute train wreck.

Wittenberg

Juniors

I don’t get the Field love. Fast and scored some scintillating tries in lower levels but small and would be Dufty volume 2 in defence.

TruSaint

Referee
Widdop to fullback is a master stroke. We have weakened two positions not one. Cronk is not playing next year so Easts should move him from halfback so that the transition for 2020 can be smooth. That would be a natural move according to many on the forum.

well said

possm

Coach
Our original target was Hayne so when that fell through maybe we should have targeted a fullback instead of Norman. Then sign a replacement for Widdop at the end of the season.

Latest posts