What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman??

Como Connection

First Grade
Well I'm 64 years a saint.
Poppa clay was my hero
Personally I think our team is better off, with Widdop gone.
His efforts against the Broncos nearly cost us the game.
Agree, the team can settle down now and move ahead.
Widdop played poorly in the first three games in my opinion.
CC

Maybe Norman was signed for 2019 because the club administration were concerned Widdop’s shoulder was suspect after sustaining such a bad shoulder injury in 2018.

It also means Field is now a chance of playing first grade if we sustain any further injuries in the halves.

With Norman playing as the organiser, Hunt can concentrate on his running game.

Dragsters

First Grade
Maybe Norman was signed for 2019 because the club administration were concerned Widdop’s shoulder was suspect after sustaining such a bad shoulder injury in 2018.

It also means Field is now a chance of playing first grade if we sustain any further injuries in the halves.

With Norman playing as the organiser, Hunt can concentrate on his running game.

Nice to have depth in that position...

Water11

Juniors
There's obviously something about him that is simply more than a field goal merchant. He's been to 2 clubs who always try and attract quality skilled attackers, so why he hasn't achieved that yet is something that may be him waiting to grow older and it becoming a consistent weekly performance and gaining confidence. It's now even a longer waiting game with the crap setup he's (we're) all involved in.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Just heard on Macquarie sports radio
He and segaryaro were in a car with Corey driving and they were both texting each other.and put it on Twitter. Corey's best bet is to stop hanging around with segaryaro.

Otherwise we’ll see Jai limbering up sooner rather than later

Old Timer

Coach
As I have said before Norman is a "mercurial" type of player.
They have great moments and monumental fails.
Listening to coach talk about Norman makes me think back to Andrew Walker.
Andrew could have been anything but had some brain snaps both on and off the paddock which true professionals just don't have.
There is beguiling immaturity to them which somewhat suckers you into being more forgiving of them.
Can he play footy, sure he can, can he own the big moment, sure he can and in fact he wants to, does he let fear or apprehension interfere with him, no he doesn't but in the end does he have the potential to piss it all up against the wall, yes he does and that will be the fear we live with rather than his football ability because if he does implode through stupidity he will take the entire team with him because they all like him.

Slackboy72

Coach
I suspect he doesn't get the wraps for his attack from some is he lets the players outside him get the ball earlier rather than running sideways looking to put someone into a hole with every short ball. He seems to have a lot more time than he needs but that doesn't mean he should go to the line more often. Given the fact that Lafai bombed a try and the linesman incorrectly called Pereira's try back he could have had us up by a healthy amount just by feeding Lafai and Pereira early and letting them do what they can with time and space.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Just on Norman , so far he seems to have a calming affect on the team , when we need a big play .... I'm starting to warm to him ....
I agree Hazz......just starting to feel that his confidence is growing and he will start controlling the game again like he did in his earlier days with the Eels.....just watched the replay and he did some really good things against the Knights

Last edited:

getsmarty

Immortal
Match-winner Norman 'a joy to coach': McGregor
Author
Brett Keeble NRL.com reporter
Timestamp
Sun 7 Apr 2019, 10:25 PM

Fortune favours the brave. So says Dragons coach Paul McGregor after Corey Norman’s second match-winning field goal in as many games.

His left-foot strike proved the difference in their 13-12 golden-point victory over Newcastle at McDonald Jones Stadium on Sunday night.

The mercurial playmaker drilled a 42-metre field goal with just over two minutes left in extra time to give the Dragons their second win of the season and hand Newcastle a third straight loss.

Ten nights earlier, Norman’s left foot gave the Dragons a 25-24 win against former club Brisbane.

"He’s a joy to coach because he’s an energetic kid that takes footy serious, but in and around that, he can have a bit of fun as well," McGregor said at the post-match media conference.

"He wants the footy at important times, and that’s what your better playmakers do.

Match Highlights: Knights v Dragons

"They want to go after the game instead of trying to hide away from it, and that’s one thing that he’s done in the last couple of weeks.

"He’s wanted that footy at the right time, and he’s come up with two clutch plays."

Norman missed with his first two attempts against the Knights – in the 79th minute then just before half-time in extra time – but did not go missing when a third chance came his way.

Newcastle made a meal of their chance to break the deadlock on the previous possession, then the Dragons worked their way into range and ensured the ball was in Norman’s hands on the last tackle.

McGregor: Korbin wanted to stay out there

"I guess I took it upon myself to step up and have a crack," Norman told reporters after the game.

"I think I said it last week, I don’t have a very good success rate at field goals, but somehow they’re just going over at the moment so I’ll take it.

"Obviously I’m going to back myself. I missed the first two, so for that third one, obviously I’m going to step up and believe I’m going to hit it.

"The first one I kind of rushed, the second one I thought I hit well and I thought it went over, and the third one, as soon as I hit it I looked up and it was a lot straighter."

Taking some of the gloss off the win, prop Korbin Sims will have scans on Monday after suffering a suspected broken left arm.

NSW and Australian back-rower Tyson Frizell scored a crucial try in a successful return after missing the previous two matches because of a lacerated testicle.

Frizell was not replaced after joining the game in the 24th minute. He made an immediate impact by stripping the ball from Mitchell Pearce and scoring under the posts.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/04/08/match-winner-norman-a-joy-to-coach-mcgregor/

Buz-V

Juniors
If you have a close look at him, Before he gets the ball, He is scanning the opposing defensive line well before he gets the ball. Then when he gets the ball he already knows what he is going to do. That is why he seems to have so much time and that is giving our outside backs a lot more time. He has definitely helped our attacking structure. If only we had an outright speedster out there.

Gareth67

First Grade
If you have a close look at him, Before he gets the ball, He is scanning the opposing defensive line well before he gets the ball. Then when he gets the ball he already knows what he is going to do. That is why he seems to have so much time and that is giving our outside backs a lot more time. He has definitely helped our attacking structure. If only we had an outright speedster out there.

Agree with that Buz-V , he does seem to have so much time when taking his kicks , so as he himself said - he is bound to nail one sooner or later . It’s a lovely feeling to know that we now have a player who can actually close the game down , rather then playing the ball through to the 6th tackle and getting nowhere .

Bench
I was not happy when he signed, but now after the last two games I think he is going to be very good this year.
In the past those type of games against the Broncos and Knights we would usually lose.

blacksafake

First Grade
As I have said before Norman is a "mercurial" type of player.
They have great moments and monumental fails.
Listening to coach talk about Norman makes me think back to Andrew Walker.
Andrew could have been anything but had some brain snaps both on and off the paddock which true professionals just don't have.
There is beguiling immaturity to them which somewhat suckers you into being more forgiving of them.
Can he play footy, sure he can, can he own the big moment, sure he can and in fact he wants to, does he let fear or apprehension interfere with him, no he doesn't but in the end does he have the potential to piss it all up against the wall, yes he does and that will be the fear we live with rather than his football ability because if he does implode through stupidity he will take the entire team with him because they all like him.
I think you've summed him up well OT.
Lets hope he's just a late bloomer in the maturity department & it's all positive from now.
Andrew Walker, Well couldn't he play.

j0nesy

Bench
I liked the signing at the time - a good replacement for Widdop. He’s now got the opportunity to play a full season a 5/8th. I’m not getting hyped up about the two field goals, although I do respect his confidence. There is a lot more to playing 5/8th than kicking field goals. The team and Corey have a very long way to go with their attack, especially close to the line. We should have put Newcastle away and run away with the game mid way through the 2nd half. I like Norman but he needs to keep working hard at training and stay out of trouble and it should start to come together later in the season.

BLM01

First Grade
I liked the signing at the time - a good replacement for Widdop. He’s now got the opportunity to play a full season a 5/8th. I’m not getting hyped up about the two field goals, although I do respect his confidence. There is a lot more to playing 5/8th than kicking field goals. The team and Corey have a very long way to go with their attack, especially close to the line. We should have put Newcastle away and run away with the game mid way through the 2nd half. I like Norman but he needs to keep working hard at training and stay out of trouble and it should start to come together later in the season.
I dont care what Corey does of field as long as he is not banned as is building nicely on field.
And Mary says he is easy and great to coach..probably cause he says nothing as Corey would likely tune out when Mary gets on the podium and think to himself I will attack my way..not yours.
We did have what would have been a fair try called back due to a forward pass..not. Nothing mentioned about that when all were saying 1 of our tries were lucky Frizz stealing he ball so Newcastle may of been the better team.
Mary has got his 80 minute performnces he wanted by telling them to tuck the ball under their arm and dont give silly penalties away etc. Now it is time to let them play schackle free football again.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
sorry mate you cant turn a nissan bluebird into a ferrari no matter what you try ......
Au contraire...

images