What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Game_Breaker

Coach
I read an article a few months back about how Sydney and Melbourne were both a a point in their development that they had to choose what type of city they would be
It basically said there was 3 types of "large" city based on how they contain their population

1. New York - A huge CBD
2. London - many smaller CBD's
3. LA - a small/medium CBD and lots of urban sprawl

It insinuated that Sydney was going the path of LA, which was probably right, but I'd say with Parramatta being developed its trying to follow the London model

Melbourne was closer to the NY model with the crazy amount of development, especially skyscrapers, going on in the CBD, but it's sprawl is still growing by a fair bit as well

Sydney also has North Sydney, so it's kind of a mix between London and LA

Rooster8

Juniors
I read an article a few months back about how Sydney and Melbourne were both a a point in their development that they had to choose what type of city they would be
It basically said there was 3 types of "large" city based on how they contain their population

1. New York - A huge CBD
2. London - many smaller CBD's
3. LA - a small/medium CBD and lots of urban sprawl

It insinuated that Sydney was going the path of LA, which was probably right, but I'd say with Parramatta being developed its trying to follow the London model

Melbourne was closer to the NY model with the crazy amount of development, especially skyscrapers, going on in the CBD, but it's sprawl is still growing by a fair bit as well
Have a look at Sydney's 2050 plan. Essentially they want to transform the entire CBD region plus surrounding industrial areas including Pyrmont and White Bay into a built up jungle. So i'm feeling Sydney wants to be a NY inspired city, with their shit transportation as well.
sydney-2050-april-2-three.jpg

4bca15cd-c464-4dee-82d7-0c4124e3b53d-960.webp

sempmrh

Juniors
So is Bankwest Stadium actually finished? I thought there was supposed to be another white layer on the roof.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Have a look at Sydney's 2050 plan. Essentially they want to transform the entire CBD region plus surrounding industrial areas including Pyrmont and White Bay into a built up jungle. So i'm feeling Sydney wants to be a NY inspired city, with their shit transportation as well.

I’d rather be an NY than a LA. NY actually has decent transport, LA’s is awful. That said, would prefer the London model, especially given syd he already has a bunch of satellite CBDs in Chatswood, Hurstville, Parramatta and potentially Badgery’s creek when the new airport happens.

greenBV4

Bench

Sydney's CBD currently has height restrictions though doesn't it? due to its proximity to the airport?

Plus Sydney's urban sprawl is already MUCH bigger than new yorks, I thinks its a bit late for that model

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench
ANZAC Bridge was a pretty bold choice, and it’s only 24 years old. Sure, it’s not “iconic”, and never will be sharing the city with the Harbour Bridge. But it’s a nice design

images

there's one thing Sydney definitely gets right, and that is building nice looking bridges!

in comparison, Melbourne's two "big bridges" (Bolte and West Gate) are, IMO, boring as batshit..
(probably doesn't help that the first west gate fell over)

Brisbane talks up their story bridge but its nothing special either

Rooster8

Juniors
Sydney's CBD currently has height restrictions though doesn't it? due to its proximity to the airport?

Plus Sydney's urban sprawl is already MUCH bigger than new yorks, I thinks its a bit late for that model
Flight path avoids the CBD. Aircraft on 34R take a sharp right turn to the NE after takeoff.

Yeah I don't think the towers will go that high, that was just a rendering I found in a doc. But wouldn't be surprised if the council approves that many towers in CBD and surroundings.
flight-paths.JPG

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
The height restrictions won't last forever, and in 10-15 years time Sydney will have a very different and vastly improved public transport system.

Melbourne is putting most of its development into a single CBD, however it is nothing like New York. There is very little density in Melbourne's CBD, the streets and laneways are all widely built to cater for trams, and the skyscrapers are spread out through the city. Brisbane's CBD is more dense (albeit smaller) than Melbourne's.