What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Timbo

Staff member
It's not sold for "events"? What's it for then??

Is that seat associated with standing seats for the soccer, or part of some other event space?

Makes you wonder why they installed seats behind a concrete wall.

Suitman

Post Whore
Is that seat associated with standing seats for the soccer, or part of some other event space?

Makes you wonder why they installed seats behind a concrete wall.

Nothing to do with the safe standing area for football. These seats are at the opposite end of the ground.

adamkungl

Immortal
I read an article a few months back about how Sydney and Melbourne were both a a point in their development that they had to choose what type of city they would be
It basically said there was 3 types of "large" city based on how they contain their population

1. New York - A huge CBD
2. London - many smaller CBD's
3. LA - a small/medium CBD and lots of urban sprawl

It insinuated that Sydney was going the path of LA, which was probably right, but I'd say with Parramatta being developed its trying to follow the London model

Melbourne was closer to the NY model with the crazy amount of development, especially skyscrapers, going on in the CBD, but it's sprawl is still growing by a fair bit as well

I could see Sydney approaching NYC kind of model.
Long term I expect a LOT of vertical movement adjacent to the CBD. I think we'll see the CBD gradually crawl its way down Elizabeth St towards Green Sq and along Parramatta Rd well past Ultimo. Parramatta Rd's streetfront is ripe for redevelopment. A lot of very dated and vacant property along there.

But then again, we also have the 'second' CBDs of Parramatta, Chatswood, and potentially other hubs

taipan

Referee
I can see Bankwest, the new SFS and ANZ( whenever)
giving a huge boost to NRL and A league crowds ,and even Union.
It just bugs me ,we haven't had these bells and whistle stadiums in place years ago.We wouldn't be whining about crowds .
Govt's/sport administrators of the past in Sydney need to hang their heads in shame.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I can see Bankwest, the new SFS and ANZ( whenever)
giving a huge boost to NRL and A league crowds ,and even Union.
It just bugs me ,we haven't had these bells and whistle stadiums in place years ago.We wouldn't be whining about crowds .
Govt's/sport administrators of the past in Sydney need to hang their heads in shame.

Well it certainly takes a way a big excuse we have been using. Time will tell if it is the panacea we ae hoping for to sub 15k crowds. It is long overdue, in part because clubs have, and many still do, rely on pokies to bail them out rather than having to grow their customer base, and the NRL's reluctance to set any min criteria.

taipan

Referee
Well it certainly takes a way a big excuse we have been using. Time will tell if it is the panacea we ae hoping for to sub 15k crowds. It is long overdue, in part because clubs have, and many still do, rely on pokies to bail them out rather than having to grow their customer base, and the NRL's reluctance to set any min criteria.

It takes away a decent part of the excuse, transport issues remain the big unknown until 2022.Think scheduling will remain as is, and the only hope to get a better weekend schedule is in fact adding two teams.
Reduce the number of teams by chopping 2 Sydney teams, you reduce the ability to secure family friendly times, because TV will still want the Thursday night,Friday 6pm and 8pm time slots, leaving only 5 to spread over the weekend as is the situation now.

The code has to be consistent with criteria, they can't be seen to push down harder on Sydney clubs, than current interstate clubs.

The criteria will be set IMO ATT.,the club figures from now till the time for TV negotiations is set.The financial stability from now til then, growth in members, crowds, plans for infrastructure or what's in place ATT.
And the attendances at Bankwest,SFS and possibly ANZ will establish a platform for attendance criteria..

The Sharks in fact are looking at having at least one home game away from home, to boost attendances, and garner further support and boost finances.It is pretty hard to see they can achieve big increases in crowds whilst they have the current stadium setup, and would achieve so with far better local facilities.
I'd be having a game at Suncorp against the Donkeys, or against the Storm in Adelaide.
Cash in the bank is better than a beer with Frank.

Clubs are or should be gradually weaning themselves off ,large handouts from the Licensed clubs.
The clubs that have been under the relocation threat interestingly, do not rely on poker machine monies to anywhere near the extent of those considered safe, that do.

Ch10 is still struggling to get decent ratings ,as evidenced by some of the crappy shows they come up with.I'd imagine CBS saying to themselves, we've got to get better TV ratings at peak hour and only two sports in this country can give us that, and the associated ad revenue that is secured as a result.

Greenburger and Beatles need to be buying beer and steak sandwiches for these CBS guys ,to let them know what the NRL /rl can offer.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The code has to be consistent with criteria, they can't be seen to push down harder on Sydney clubs, than current interstate clubs.

My criteria comment was more to do with min stadium standards rather than attendance levels. If the NRL set these it would have benefited all clubs as they would have had to sort out their facilities or moved to centralised ones in the same way it has in UK. It would also help with expansion clubs eg Perth get Bankwest Park finished off.

eg
Min 25k capacity
Min 80% seating
Min 75% undercover
Min female toilet facilities
etc etc

taipan

Referee
My criteria comment was more to do with min stadium standards rather than attendance levels. If the NRL set these it would have benefited all clubs as they would have had to sort out their facilities or moved to centralised ones in the same way it has in UK. It would also help with expansion clubs eg Perth get Bankwest Park finished off.

eg
Min 25k capacity
Min 80% seating
Min 75% undercover
Min female toilet facilities
etc etc

Couldn't argue with that set of standards.Especially in this day and age, when females are becoming more interested in the game.
The only thing I would add, clubs who at present have less than those figures, be given a decent lead in time(ie at least an additional 5 years from the end of the next TV deal) to get to these levels.

Timbo

Staff member
Couldn't argue with that set of standards.Especially in this day and age, when females are becoming more interested in the game.
The only thing I would add, clubs who at present have less than those figures, be given a decent lead in time(ie at least an additional 5 years from the end of the next TV deal) to get to these levels.

We've kind of known that for a while though, haven't we?

Not taking a shot at you here - but do you really think five years would be enough for Brookvale, Shark Park, Kogarah, etc to get up to scratch?

Not taking a shot at you here - but do you really think five years would be enough for Brookvale, Shark Park, Kogarah, etc to get up to scratch?

It’s probably not enough time, but at least it could be said they were given an opportunity. I’d makes 5 years to secure funding to bring them up to standard.

siv

First Grade
5 years sets a timetable

If not up to scratch then games need to be relocated

Anyway it sets a standard and timetable for regional venues or minor ground upgrades

All NRL venues should hold 10k minimum. Including country venues

taipan

Referee

5 years additional on top of the next 5 year Tv deal=10 years IOW from 2023-2033
5 years only ,Buckley's chance.
Maybe that time framework could come down.

If the criteria is laid out end 2020, that's an additional 2 years remaining on the current TV deals.
Minimum 10 years up to 12 years to get ones sh*t together, surely is reasonable to seek co tenants/Govt grants/private enterprise secure funding ,when some infrastructure already in place..

Think it will be narrowed down to Brookvale/Shark Park/Penrith.
Possibly 20,000 all seaters realistically have a better chance than 25,000 from a cost perspective and the restrictions of their locations.And in 2 cases council input.

The Sharks new Leagues club supposedly will be operational 2021 and the retail centre I guess 2022.Leagues club should be reaping far bigger revenue and profits as a result.A bigger capacity stadium will be financially beneficial to the Leagues club, with more game attendees using that facility.

And if they grab A Southern A League franchise as a co tenant, that's a further possible option.

Timbo

Staff member
5 years additional on top of the next 5 year Tv deal=10 years IOW from 2023-2033
5 years only ,Buckley's chance.
Maybe that time framework could come down.

If the criteria is laid out end 2020, that's an additional 2 years remaining on the current TV deals.
Minimum 10 years up to 12 years to get ones sh*t together, surely is reasonable to seek co tenants/Govt grants/private enterprise secure funding ,when some infrastructure already in place..

Think it will be narrowed down to Brookvale/Shark Park/Penrith.
Possibly 20,000 all seaters realistically have a better chance than 25,000 from a cost perspective and the restrictions of their locations.And in 2 cases council input.

The Sharks new Leagues club supposedly will be operational 2021 and the retail centre I guess 2022.Leagues club should be reaping far bigger revenue and profits as a result.A bigger capacity stadium will be financially beneficial to the Leagues club, with more game attendees using that facility.

And if they grab A Southern A League franchise as a co tenant, that's a further possible option.

I'd have thought that was the best bet for Ronson Field to get an upgrade, but with the new team at Campbelltown you have to wonder if there will be future expansion into Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Yes totally agree, it needs NRL support, stick and carrot approach. Time to improve and NRL support with political lobbying, grant applications and even loans or co investment from the game.

10-12 years too long imo. NRL will go through alot of leadership changes in that time and clubs will hang off doing anything in the hope the next leadership changes its mind. Id set 5 years for improvements and a clear plan for achieving the criteria. Doesn't have to be finished in 5 years but must be a realistic commitment to do so within a reasonable timeframe. You get more leeway if you've actually done something in the 5 years. So id Shark Park got a new main stand but not yet sorted the end out then that would be a consideration in more time being given.

Latest posts