What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving forward

Tiger05, your post #29, you forget and someone did say it after last weeks game. Liddle came on at the end of the game, he was a fresh player and looked fantastic. You make it sound like he’s being doing it all year and last year even, he hasn’t he’s been injured too much and yes, he is a standout in reserves but again, he hasn’t played all year there either.

Vic your post #35, I too want him to succeed long term but I think he’d be better having 4 or 5 games in reserves for 80 minutes rather than 15 or 20 in 1st grade, then hopefully his body comes through it and only then would I like to see start in 1st grade.

We have had a number of young guys coming through the lower grades but moved on because of Farah, none, and I mean none have kicked on as 1st graders. We know that this is Farah last year and we certainly need Liddle to be the replacement.

Tiger05

First Grade
Tiger05, your post #29, you forget and someone did say it after last weeks game. Liddle came on at the end of the game, he was a fresh player and looked fantastic. You make it sound like he’s being doing it all year and last year even, he hasn’t he’s been injured too much and yes, he is a standout in reserves but again, he hasn’t played all year there either.

I agree with this comment but he has done this more than once. He has done it in reserve grade consistently as well. Robbie doesn't have that ability now.

I don't get a lot of the comments on here. We have a player with the potential to be really good in a key position - Liddle at 9. Robbie at the moment is clearly not really good. Yeah he is one of the most creative dummy halves in the game but he lacks pace out of dummy half and still comes up with poor options. He is an average NRL hooker. Liddle could be one of the top dummy halves in the comp.

We don't have many players with speed and skill - Brooks, Liddle and Mbye all have that ability. They also all have flaws but we have to give these guys a chance.

If we put some better players around them they might be able to get the job done.

I agree that the jury is out on Liddle. It's out on Brooks and Mbye as well. We have to give these guys a really good chance though.

I'd love to get a gun fullback, get Reynolds off the book and play Mbye at 6 but that isn't going to happen.

Vic Mackey

Referee
FTR I think Robbies been pretty good this year, and better then last year when he was also good. My wanting Liddle to get more minutes has nothing to do with thinking Farah isnt upto it. Its simply because I dont see the point in playing a 35 year old for 14 more weeks when we have a 22 year old waiting in the wings who when on the field has been impressive.

Liddle has been branded a poor defender yet Ive never seen this. Robbie is a solid defender however he is also a 'holder' (he is on the record saying this) he basically holds guys chest high and lets other defenders bring them down, then tres to wrestle him onto his back. He's probably never made a legs tackle in his life. This isnt having a go at him, its how modern defences work and the same as Cam Smith defends. JL is a legs tackler, and everytime Ive seen him he's been pretty good.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I think we need to put Liddle in at 9 and push Farah to interchange. WT have to make a call on Liddle with his contract ending this season. We know Farah is retiring at seasons end, we still don't know if Liddle is it. Only one way to tell. It will also inform our recruitment for next season. Do we have to get a main role hooker or just a back up. Big difference in $$$$ and maturity.

super_coach

First Grade
Liddle has had a really bad run with injuries, but he is not the first player to have a really bad run, Benji Mal Meniga are a couple to come to mind and they ended up pretty good careers. Even our own Chris Lawrence and he doesn’t attract the same criticism. I am sure if Liddle was up for grabs there would be plenty of interest

stryker

First Grade
It just doesn't make any sense. We need some more quality within our team. Robbie has been a quality player in the past but he isn't a top line dummy half today because his service is poor, he still comes up with bad options and he lacks pace out of dummy half. Liddle will probably never have Robbie's play making ability but neither does Damian Cook.

Liddle now though is already a better option than Robbie. He has an impact when he comes on. If we can get 40 quality minutes out of Liddle per game we need that desperately.
If Liddle played 80 minutes for us with no interchange we'd lose big. His defence is shoddy, his creativity is limited to quick scoots and his game management experience practically zero. He is younger and faster than Rob but certainly not a better player. He is not even a proven first grader yet.

Fordy20

Juniors
I think we need to put Liddle in at 9 and push Farah to interchange. WT have to make a call on Liddle with his contract ending this season. We know Farah is retiring at seasons end, we still don't know if Liddle is it. Only one way to tell. It will also inform our recruitment for next season. Do we have to get a main role hooker or just a back up. Big difference in $$$$ and maturity.

Should just re-sign him anyway and up his minutes off the bench until Robbie has hit 300 games and then start giving him the full 80. He's flying under the radar at the moment, but there is a dearth of good hookers running around and it wouldn't take much to get him snapped up and we'll be left out in the cold with no first choice hooker starting next season.

Shredder

Juniors
Robbie was brought back here as a back up. It was said over and over in the press conferences.

Liddle is seen as the number one hooker at the club.

He just doesnt get on the pitch enough. And when he does he still doesnt do enough to prove it.

If he wants $100k to hang around, Im happy to take that risk. But if we are paying a guy who up until now has averaged what 5 first grade appearances (half games at best) a year $300k a year then we have learned nothing.

tiger102

Juniors
1557446764690-59775325_2148680541914125_8574787548017065984_n.jpg

Courier Mail Brisbane, Let’s test Esan Marsters on the open market and see what he is worth

Perth Tiger

Bench
We don't really want to be stuck in the situation of playing players to play against us like before.

Would Packer even be able to get a Visa to play in the ESL?

Pezz70

Juniors
Manase Fainu is the hooker I think you are talking about. There is some good players out there at there clubs may be looking to of load. Mybe would make a good utility player IMO.

Add these guys as well.
  • Euan Aitken (Can’t get a start with Lafai/Lomax)
  • Jamayne Isaako (In reserves)
  • Dylan Edwards (Cleary wants gone)
  • Jaydn Su’A ( Qld Cup)
Dylan Edwards ??? Not a big enough body at the back.

The unknown

Juniors
Dylan Edwards can't even get a start at Penrith anymore and looks terrible. I think that acl injury ruined him because I do remember Penrith fans blowing their load over him at one point

But that's Penrith fans for you. Matt Moylan was the 2nd coming of Jesus until he moved to the Sharks now he's the worst player in the game. Just ask them

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
I would be shopping Liddle to other teams for next year. He is a talent no doubt but we were saying three years ago that he needed to up his minutes and nothing has changed. Liddle might go on to be a star else where but he won't be one for us, not the way he is right now anyway. . Robbie has a lot of faults but durability and his ability to play a full 80 are't them. If we play liddle that means we either play a utility off the bench or a second hooker and we don't have a pack that is good enough to carry that burden.

Last edited:

Mario chalmers

Juniors
I would be shopping Liddle to other teams for next year. He is a talent no doubt but we were saying three years ago that he needed to up his minutes and nothing has changed. Liddle might go on to be a star else where but he won't be one for us, not the way he is right now anyway. . Robbie has a lot of faults but durability and his ability to play a full 80 are't them. If we play liddle that mans we either play a utility off the bench or a second hooker and we don't have a pack that is good enough to carry that burden.
Disagree totally. How many final series has Farah played in? He's part of a losing culture.

Liddle has had bad injuries but has shown his class in reserve grade. Must be offered a new contract IMO.

Latest posts