What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving forward

Fordy20

Juniors
I agree 100% Stryker.

I for one will not be unhappy if he goes and if he goes great somewhere else, good luck to him.

I'm concerned that we don't have a hooker for next year locked up. Should be sniffing around Lawton.

Tiger05

First Grade
Woah woah woah.
Your second sentence is a distortion of the truth. In fact it is bullshit.
Your last sentence is naive.
The kid has shown very little worth a lengthy contract. 2 years max for mine and if he is injured again goneskis.

I think a big part of our lean years was because we overpaid Robbie and Benji. I don't think they are playing at a much lower level now compared to in the past but they are being paid a lot less. Benji if anything is proving that he can lead a team around. He has lost some pace but he does a lot of stuff better. Robbie is still a good player.

I disagree on Liddle. I think he has ability. It's going to be a judgement call in relation to how good you think he can be. I'd push for a 2 year contract. A one year extension to me wouldn't be smart.

Tiger05

First Grade
in the lean years there were 13 on the field at any 1 time 17 named every game but because 2 players were overpaid that gave us the lean years. :head_bandage:You keep saying it enough, you will believe it.

It was probably a factor. Best case those guys didn't deliver and I like the guys.

stryker

First Grade
To blame Robbie and Benj and their salaries for Wests Tigers unsuccessful history is foolhardy.
For starters, id argue these two brought in a minimum of 10 x the money it cost the club to employ them through sponsorship exposure.
For seconds, it was the influence of these two that attracted higher profile players to this joint.
Some argue we only made 3 finals series with them...how many has the club made without them?
The fact is and it upsets people to hear this...our club is unsuccessful because it is the product of 2 unsuccessful clubs merging and then being run for the better part of 2 decades by incompetent, self serving arseholes from board members to the CEO's through to coaches. We have players come here for retirement pay and we have juniors who see us as an easy pathway and stepping stone to a contract with a prestigious and/or successful club.
Even through all of this, these two have come back to us. If anything they deserve knighthoods for dedicating their careers to this place but instead they get highly crticised by their own. I dont get it and think its sad.

Tiger05

First Grade
Stryker - I love both of them. I'm just trying to be honest regarding the fact that we under performed for a while and Robbie's salary and the whole JT debacle really f**ked the club up.

As for stating they bought in more money I think that is irrelevant. We haven't been successful for years.

I think we are unsuccessful beacuse we haven't been able to put a quality team on the park. That comes down to recruitment and retention and that comes down to managing the cap.

Shredder

Juniors
In my view our lack of success is due to our historical selection of shit coaches.

Whether the coach controls recruitment or not, he still has a say. Buck stops with the coach.

stryker

First Grade
Stryker - I love both of them. I'm just trying to be honest regarding the fact that we under performed for a while and Robbie's salary and the whole JT debacle really f**ked the club up.

As for stating they bought in more money I think that is irrelevant. We haven't been successful for years.

I think we are unsuccessful beacuse we haven't been able to put a quality team on the park. That comes down to recruitment and retention and that comes down to managing the cap.
Your view is far too simplistic.
We have had plenty of sides who should have competed in semi finals. 2011-12 were our premiership window years and as an organisation those opportunities were squandered. At least one of those years should have resulted in a GF appearance.
Since then we have been an embarrassment. To lay the blame on 2 players is incorrect. It was a combination of a dozen factors not least of which was the sabotage of greedy players and their managers who derailed season after season with infighting.
Fast forward to 2019 and we have these 2 in their mid 30's still being first choice for their positions as we have no one else capable.

Tiger05

First Grade
Stryker - I agree that my viewpoint is simplistic but there is some truth in it. Those premiership opportunities were lost and Benji and Robbie didn't perform as well as they could have. It's tough though to blame those lost opportunities on just those two. They were our marquee players though.

I also agree that those two are playing well now. I'd still have Liddle getting more game time. Robbie looked shot at the end of the game last week.

gordsy

Juniors
In my view our lack of success is due to our historical selection of shit coaches.

Whether the coach controls recruitment or not, he still has a say. Buck stops with the coach.

Shit recruitment and selection in my opinion too.

gordsy

Juniors
Stryker - I agree that my viewpoint is simplistic but there is some truth in it. Those premiership opportunities were lost and Benji and Robbie didn't perform as well as they could have. It's tough though to blame those lost opportunities on just those two. They were our marquee players though.

I also agree that those two are playing well now. I'd still have Liddle getting more game time. Robbie looked shot at the end of the game last week.
How much game time do you think we should give Liddle and how much should we give Robbie ?

Tiger05

First Grade
How much game time do you think we should give Liddle and how much should we give Robbie ?

I think last game showed that Robbie is struggling at times to go 80. I'd try and give them a half each. You can build it up though or chuck Liddle in 10 minutes prior to half time.

Shredder

Juniors
Has anyone considered how having two hooker will effect the team as a whole?

Two different players, with different styles and different plays.....

Tiger05

First Grade
Has anyone considered how having two hooker will effect the team as a whole?

Two different players, with different styles and different plays.....

I think that this is what Maguire is struggling with and it would be tough. They are very different players at the moment.

Pezz70

Juniors
I think that this is what Maguire is struggling with and it would be tough. They are very different players at the moment.
This is a tough one, Liddle needs game time if he is to develop, his service can be patchy at times. At some stage Madge is gonna have to bite the bullet and pick games where he can give Liddle 80 minutes and give Farah a week off. We saw a couple of games late last year where we swapped ET and Liddle around and the service was woeful. It has to be one or the other in my opinion you can’t run a hooker off the bench if that’s all they play

Latest posts