What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Warriors

getsmarty

Immortal
24-hour warning: Magic Round v Warriors
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Fri 10 May 2019, 05:40 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has amended his squad to 19 ahead of the Dragons' Magic Round clash against the New Zealand Warriors at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday, May 11.

Mitch Allgood and Josh Kerr are the two players to drop out of the team 24 hours out from kick-off.

NRL squad for Round 9 v New Zealand Warriors –

1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
2.Jordan Pereira – sponsored by SMAI
3. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Tosich Group
4. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
6. Jai Field – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader
7. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
8. James Graham (c) – sponsored by EFEX
9. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Floormania
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by My Muscle Chef
11. Tyson Frizell (c) – sponsored by Val Morgan
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski

Interchange:
14. Jeremy Latimore – sponsored by Dincel Construction System
15. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
16. Jacob Host – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
17. Luciano Leilua – sponsored by Domus Lighting
19. Jonus Pearson
20. Lachlan Timm

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/10/24-hour-warning-magic-round-v-warriors/

getsmarty

Immortal
fieldj-1gp_7137.jpg

DRAGONS

Jai ready to bring the Magic on the field
Author
Alicia Newton NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Fri 10 May 2019, 03:38 PM
newtonalicia-head.png

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor expects Jai Field to slot into the halves with ease over the next month to cover the loss of key playmaker Corey Norman.

Field has not been sighted since the side's 13-12 semi-final loss to the Rabbitohs in September last season but gets his first opportunity of the year in Saturday afternoon's Magic Round clash with the Warriors at Suncorp Stadium.

A matured Field, who made his NRL debut as a 19-year-old in 2017, has added 15 kilograms to his frame over the past two seasons and McGregor believes he'll handle the occasion of starting for the first time in his Telstra Premiership career.

"Jai's been patient with where he is now. His preparation around the last two years has been about building his body up for the NRL," McGregor said.

"He's done that amazingly well. He's an exciting player, he's mature and ready to play.

"I think the patience comes with who is in front of him. In 2017 he was still very young, still eligible for the under 20s and we brought in an international in Ben Hunt.

"He got to learn off him and then with Gareth leaving we had the opportunity to bring in Corey who he'll learn from.

"I think it's really good value in that alone, but now he's got his opportunity it's displaying what he's learnt and how his body has matured to take them on."

Warriors v Dragons - Round 9

The Dragons are looking to turn results around following back-to-back loss to Parramatta and the Sydney Roosters over the past fortnight.

The Red V were greeted by and shared a flight to Brisbane with the Eels on Friday, while the Roosters weren't too far behind with their own travel commitments with a similar afternoon flight.

St George Illawarra's Magic Round opponents, the Warriors, will unveil mid-season recruit Kodi Nikorima on Saturday, while McGregor identified Warriors skipper Roger Tuivasa-Sheck as the main player to contain.

"Roger is a threat wherever he is and they've got Kodi coming into the team who will give them confidence with his experience and they've lost a few on the trot so they'll be looking for a good performance," McGregor said.

"They're a team that can play some good footy, they're a high offload team and their back three get them started well.

"It's not good when you get back-to-back losses throughout the journey of the competition if you want to go deep into September so we're clear on what we need to do and what a good performance looks like and that's playing two halves of footy."

McGregor welcomed the opportunity to play in the second game on Saturday's schedule following the clash between Newcastle and Canterbury.

"I think it's a good a good concept, we'll know more on Sunday night to see if it's worked but an average of 35,000 tickets sold each day is an indication it's going to be good," he said.

"A lot of players enjoy playing against each other but also enjoy catching up because there's respect there going into battle and then talking as mates. We're looking forward to playing in front of a good crowd."

Warriors v Dragons
What will be the result of their round 9 clash?

Warriors v Dragons What will be the result of their round 9 clash?
  • Warriors 1-10
    0%
  • Warriors 11+
    0%
  • Dragons 1-10
    0%
  • Dragons 11+
    0%

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/10/jai-ready-to-bring-the-magic-on-the-field/

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Nice to see Pearson and Timm are next in line maybe, and I said maybe Mary's getting better. .. ....It's about time .. .....

For what it’s worth I think the kid will go well.

Norman, Widdop, Hunt and Dufty are all average defenders that require assistance in defence to be effective.

Jai Field will be no different.

He has the tools to be a serious attacking weapon as both a ball distributor and a runner.

Saints to win.

Field to score a couple of tries and present Mary and Millward with a future selection headache.

Mickthedragon

Juniors
For what it’s worth I think the kid will go well.

Norman, Widdop, Hunt and Dufty are all average defenders that require assistance in defence to be effective.

Jai Field will be no different.

He has the tools to be a serious attacking weapon as both a ball distributor and a runner.

Saints to win.

Field to score a couple of tries and present Mary and Millward with a future selection headache.
Lets hope so.
Im not feeling too confident for this one but we do normally turn up to play at Suncorp for some reason. Hope the occasion fires them right up.

getsmarty

Immortal
frizellt-portrait-2019_0012.jpg

DRAGONS

Black boots, Origin hangovers and the 'c' word: How Frizell emerged as a leader
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 11 May 2019, 07:01 AM
walterbrad-head.png

“I try not to think about that ‘c’-word as a job title”.

That’s Tyson Frizell discussing the St George Illawarra captaincy and his under-stated leadership qualities after emerging as a contender for the role when Gareth Widdop returns to England at the end of the season.

Frizell didn’t play representative rugby league as a junior and began wearing black boots after being disappointed with his first two NRL appearances in a coloured pair so it is no surprise to learn that he had never captained any team until the 2017 Auckland Nines.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor last season elevated the Test and Origin forward to his leadership group, and he has shared the captain’s role with hooker Cameron McInnes and prop James Graham in Widdop’s absence due to a shoulder injury.

“I still find it pretty funny and pinch myself thinking, ‘what am I doing. Do I really deserve this role’,” Frizell said. “I had never thought about it in my whole career, being in the leadership group or anything like that.”

Frizell, who has again been one of the Dragons' best players since recovering from a ruptured testicle in the round one loss to North Queensland, doesn’t want to think about the possibility of taking over the captaincy now either.

Warriors v Dragons - Round 9

However, the 27-year-old international thrived on the responsibility last season when Widdop was injured and admits it made him consider his leadership style.

“I think I played some of my best footy last season when I shared the captaincy role with Cameron,” Frizell said. “You feel very grateful and honoured to be able to lead your team out, although it was under pretty bad circumstances in not having your actual captain there.

“I don’t want to be setting that as something I want to do. If it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t, I won’t be changing my role in the team. This is my second year of being in the leadership group and there are only four of us in it.

“You don’t want to change the player you are or the person you are to fit a captaincy role. At the end of the day it is just the ‘c’ against your name, and you get to flip the coin and lead the boys out.

“Being in that role is an honour but I try not to think about that ‘c’-word as a job title or anything like that because you are no different to anyone else on the team and you are just one of 17 players out there trying to get the win.”

Origin hangover
Besides the English pair of Widdop and Graham, Frizell is the most experienced in the Dragons squad and he recognised he had to show the way for team-mates Paul Vaughan, Tariq Sims and Jack de Belin who were playing State of Origin for the first time last season.

The Dragons' representation in Origin impacted their season and they lost momentum after winning 12 of their opening 15 matches.

Having played every Origin since his debut in the opening match of the 2016 season, Frizell felt he needed to show the Blues' rookies the way.

frizellt-180606nh83.jpg

An experienced Blues campaigner. :copyright:Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
“You can’t be sitting in the background, you have to step up and we were doing it pretty tough,” he said. “There was a couple of boys who were learning to come out of Origin because it is difficult.

“I had done it for a few years so I don’t have any excuses. I’ve learnt to cope with the highs and lows of Origin so it was a time where I had to put my hand up and have a go, not sit back and just let it all unfold because we were struggling a bit.

McGregor's influence
Frizell credits McGregor for helping him to develop from a player who was never on the radar at the Dragons, or any other NRL club, as a junior to one of the most dynamic forwards in the game.

“He’s very open and honest with us as a leadership group and he has been very good for my development as a player,” he said. “He works really hard behind the scenes and is very calm in his approach.

“That is probably one side he has learned to change. He will tell you himself that he has grown as a coach and he is wanting to learn as well. He has only been in the top coaching role for a while and he has definitely developed as a coach.

“When things aren’t going well some coaches get frustrated and change their approach to training but he was the same from round 1 to the finals series last year. “He was probably the most calm out of the whole group and that gave us all belief and confidence.”

Superstitions
Frizell always plays with his socks down and wears black boots.

He also wears short tights at the final training session before each game and, like many players, including Graham, he is superstitious about his preparation.

“I was wearing coloured boots when I played my first two NRL games and I played terrible,” Frizell said. “I questioned whether I was good enough to stick it out and play in the NRL. Then when I went from coloured boots to pure black boots in my second year, I felt like I belonged.

“When you take routine out of something that has worked you sort of freak out a bit. At the end of the day it is probably not going to affect you, but it is just a mental thing. I used to wear my socks up and then one game my socks were down and I had a good game so I left it from there.

frizell_rc1_7623.jpg

Tyson Frizell against the Bulldogs, 2019. :copyright:Robb Cox/NRL Photos
“I still strap my wrist and arms exactly the same way and I will only wear short tights on captain’s runs. It is something I did when I was at Cronulla and I still do it at Origin level and Aussie level.”

Frizell lives near Graham at Cronulla and the pair spend time together in the lead up to matches.

“We go for a coffee after captain’s run and we always get a treat. If we do well we will get exactly the same thing the next week.

“If I can’t make it for coffee, he will always make me feel bad. He will say ‘we won last week, you have got to come’. We played a game and leading into it we went for a sauna and a swim and we won so the next week we had to do the same thing.”

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...d-the-c-word-how-frizell-emerged-as-a-leader/

getsmarty

Immortal
fieldj_rc1_0039.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRL late mail: Magic Round v Warriors
Author
Timestamp
Sat 11 May 2019, 04:30 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has finalised his 17 ahead of the Dragons' Magic Round clash against the New Zealand Warriors at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday, May 11.

Jonus Pearson and Lachlan Timm are the final two players to drop out of the team after Mitch Allgood and Josh Kerr were the two players omitted 24 hours out from kick-off.

6. Jai Field – sponsored by Illawarra Mercury/St George & Sutherland Shire Leader

Interchange:

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/11/nrl-late-mail-magic-round-v-warriors/

LINESPEED

Juniors
fieldj_rc1_0039.jpg

TEAM LISTS

NRL late mail: Magic Round v Warriors
Author
Timestamp
Sat 11 May 2019, 04:30 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has finalised his 17 ahead of the Dragons' Magic Round clash against the New Zealand Warriors at Suncorp Stadium on Saturday, May 11.

Jonus Pearson and Lachlan Timm are the final two players to drop out of the team after Mitch Allgood and Josh Kerr were the two players omitted 24 hours out from kick-off.

Interchange:

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/05/11/nrl-late-mail-magic-round-v-warriors/

Good to see Lachlan pass Mitch in the forward pecking order.

Baby steps each week - but Waterboy seems to be listening & responding

Go Dragons!

Mark D

Juniors
Ok nervous now... Normally would feel confident against the Warriors but last weeks 2nd half still has me disturbed! Want to see 80 minutes and attitude in defence

Latest posts