What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

strider

Post Whore
The same Locky that was about to be dropped in 2006??? He was a great player without a doubt but I class him on the same level as Freddy. Just below that immortal level. The more merkins they stick in the cheaper the concept becomes. Mal shouldn’t have gotten in either. It’s hilarious when people mention Johns shouldn’t be in for a few pills are the same people who wanted someone like Mal in. Great weights programme at Brisbane Souths in the 80’s.........
Mal is nowhere near a f**kin immortal

Wally21

Bench
So which merkins are in at the moment?

Churchill (1946-58)
Raper (1957-69)
Gasnier (1959-67)
Fulton (1966-79)
Langlands (1963-76)
Lewis (1978-92)
Beetson (1964-80)
Johns (1993-2007)
Messenger (1908-13)
Frank Burge (1911-27)
Dave Brown (1930-41)
Provan (1951-65)
Meninga (1979-94)

Thats virtually all of the eras covered now and a max of 2-3 in each era. You could argue the toss on whether a couple of them deserve to be in and you could make a good case for someone else but the number of people seems about right. I don't think they should add anyone else from between 1908-2000. It doesnt mean that Kenny, Sterling, Stuart, Thornett, Price, Langer, Lockyer, Fittler etc arent great players. They just aren't the best of their era.

So if we are going to add someone from 2000 onwards next then I think it has to be Cameron Smith. The guy has broken just about every record in the game already and there is no reason why he can't go in as soon as he retires.

Then if we don't add someone else for another 20 years it shouldn't be a problem. But the NRL are f**kwits so we will probably end up with 2-3 new players being added every year which will cheapen the concept enormously.
Agree with you but unfortunately I think that Slater will be added at some stage. Good player, huge cat, massive motor and gave 100% all the time, but wouldn’t have been half the player without Cam Smith feeding him. But with News being his employer all these years, unfortunately he will be added...

Eelementary

Post Whore
So which merkins are in at the moment?

Churchill (1946-58)
Raper (1957-69)
Gasnier (1959-67)
Fulton (1966-79)
Langlands (1963-76)
Lewis (1978-92)
Beetson (1964-80)
Johns (1993-2007)
Messenger (1908-13)
Frank Burge (1911-27)
Dave Brown (1930-41)
Provan (1951-65)
Meninga (1979-94)

Thats virtually all of the eras covered now and a max of 2-3 in each era. You could argue the toss on whether a couple of them deserve to be in and you could make a good case for someone else but the number of people seems about right. I don't think they should add anyone else from between 1908-2000. It doesnt mean that Kenny, Sterling, Stuart, Thornett, Price, Langer, Lockyer, Fittler etc arent great players. They just aren't the best of their era.

So if we are going to add someone from 2000 onwards next then I think it has to be Cameron Smith. The guy has broken just about every record in the game already and there is no reason why he can't go in as soon as he retires.

Then if we don't add someone else for another 20 years it shouldn't be a problem. But the NRL are f**kwits so we will probably end up with 2-3 new players being added every year which will cheapen the concept enormously.

Brett Kenny schooled Lewis every time they faced each other - I reckon you could make an argument that he was the best 5/8 of that era...

hindy111

Post Whore
Gee Oates 500k a season. I dont rate the guy that high. His known to make errors and be clumsy and isn't all that fast for a winger. The fact most wingers are big and strong now and he doesnt have the same impact....
Also no step or great footwork. Teams just double up on him.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Agree with you but unfortunately I think that Slater will be added at some stage. Good player, huge cat, massive motor and gave 100% all the time, but wouldn’t have been half the player without Cam Smith feeding him. But with News being his employer all these years, unfortunately he will be added...
Yeah. Nothing surer.

The Immortals team lacks balance. Too many good time charlie's and not enough heads down bums up winners.

Using Darren Lockyer's logic maybe the team would win 22 premierships.