What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

• I want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I don't want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 113 32.4%
  • I couldn't care less if he returns or not.

Votes: 176 50.4%

• Total voters

Meth

Staff member
There has to be a line. There has to be restrictions. Otherwise you risk bedlam and anarchy.

There has to be a line. There always has been a line. I'm not sure the line has ever been as restrictive as it currently is, though? Offence culture is a plague.

I'm making that comment generally- not so much about Folau

Billythekid

First Grade
But who is deciding that? If Israel agrees to adhere to a code of conduct that includes being respectful to people's choice of lifestyle and sexual orientation in exchange for money then again, who is deciding?

Does Israel have the freedom to enter into this agreement? If Israel agreed to this and then does not adhere is he still entitled to the money that he wants as part of the agreement?

This is such an easy concept to understand and yet it has to be explained a thousand times.

Why are the people constantly arguing for ‘free speech’ or ‘right to express opinions’ always so f**king dumb.

typicalfan

Coach
This is such an easy concept to understand and yet it has to be explained a thousand times.

Why are the people constantly arguing for ‘free speech’ or ‘right to express opinions’ always so f**king dumb.
Nah mate, I am discriminating against celebrities I am told.

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
RA told him he could not continue to both practice his religion and play rugby for NSW/Australia. This is at the crux of the court case.

Nope, not even close. Nowhere, not once, has Rugby Australia stated that Folau could not practice his religion. If that was the case it would be the most open and shut case in the legal system.

They haven't even stated he couldn't publicly state his religious views, as that would be completely discriminatory. If he wanted to post every day something about the God being his lord and saviour, he was more than allowed to do so.

It wasn't until he started being discriminatory himself to parts of the community that any of these issues started. As a society, we have come a long way with regards to the LGBTI community. And what Folau chooses to believe are his own beliefs. But the second he starts to push those beliefs the way that he did so, it stops being about religion and becomes about hatred.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There has to be a line. There always has been a line. I'm not sure the line has ever been as restrictive as it currently is, though? Offence culture is a plague.

And society defines that line. Personally I’m pleased to see that line continues to be more restrictive about hate, abuse and bigotry not being ok to minority groups or people who happen to be different to you. It is a sign of an evolving society where tolerance and love are gaining ground. Ironically something the religious mob preach the most lol.

Meth

Staff member
And society defines that line.

Yeah and that's fair enough, I suppose.

I will say that people are very quick to be outraged about the sort of thing that they themselves accepted, believed and said 5 minutes ago.

Also, people are so thin skinned these days.

To be honest, I don't trust society to define the line. They're essentially idiots.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah and that's fair enough, I suppose.

I will say that people are very quick to be outraged about the sort of thing that they themselves accepted, believed and said 5 minutes ago.

Also, people are so thin skinned these days.

To be honest, I don't trust society to define the line. They're essentially idiots.

That’s true, I mean we have scomo, trump and possibly Boris running major countries lol.
It is a different world for sure with social media looking to create click bait at every opportunity. But fundamentally I think it’s a good thing that we no longer tolerate racism, sexism and homophobia. Can only make the world a better place for future generations you’d hope.

Meth

Staff member
It is a different world for sure with social media looking to create click bait at every opportunity.

Yeah, social media has definitely contributed to people being dumber. That, and the fact that people effectively live in echo chambers. That's why I think it's so important for people to encounter contrary views. So, I agree with you that 'it’s a good thing that we no longer tolerate racism, sexism and homophobia'- but I hope we still have room for dissenting views on just about everything else.

giphy.gif

Belmore Dude

Juniors
What would I need to re-read? I quoted your part of the message I was replying to, in which you claim that he couldn't play rugby and practice his religion, to which I said was false.
You’re the one that’s false one son! The merkin shouldn’t be allowed back into any code!

Knight Vision

First Grade

And it's designed to be.

This "culture" that you mention is largely propagated through conservative media and targets the base = it sells.

When cultural reactionaries, increasingly feeling they're under attack and threatened they dig in = less willing to change the status quo, in other words turn away from progress both economically and culturally. They're also more prone to accept conspiracy theories as fact, ( anti vaxxers anyone ?) view armed conflict as a necessary evil, view immigration as bad, climate change as a hoax, and ironically support the increase of laws punishments to supposedly insulate them from change ( in turn restricting their freedoms ) .....This plays right into the conservative agenda, more corporate power, increasing corporate welfare and eroding the middle class to enrich the few.

The real issue is a public that's so easily led. Corporations control what you see, hear and think, they own everything. They control the outrage you speak of ........they invented it.

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
And it's designed to be.

This "culture" that you mention is largely propagated through conservative media and targets the base = it sells.

When cultural reactionaries, increasingly feeling they're under attack and threatened they dig in = less willing to change the status quo, in other words turn away from progress both economically and culturally. They're also more prone to accept conspiracy theories as fact, ( anti vaxxers anyone ?) view armed conflict as a necessary evil, view immigration as bad, climate change as a hoax, and ironically support the increase of laws punishments to supposedly insulate them from change ( in turn restricting their freedoms ) .....This plays right into the conservative agenda, more corporate power, increasing corporate welfare and eroding the middle class to enrich the few.

The real issue is a public that's so easily led. Corporations control what you see, hear and think, they own everything. They control the outrage you speak of ........they invented it.

Jesus, I thought 4C was bad

Valheru

Coach
And it's designed to be.

Thanks for that Lenin

Knight Vision

First Grade
Thanks for that Lenin
Not a big reader I take it. Get your "news" from 30 second sound bites on the evening news no doubt. Give more consideration to ordering a counter meal than any meaningful cognitive activity - vacuous intellect and perfect fodder you are. .