What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steven Masters to Bunnies?

TruSaint

Referee
Can't keep em all

Fair point .

There are plenty of very good posts about the decline in value of having a great nursery of talent, (i.e, how to keep the best, financial rewards for growing talent etc ), however in this instance, his departure comes in midst of a season where we have a backline barely functional, have had injuries to boot, and yet Masters doesn't see 1 game and Maranta does.

I dont care if Maranta came for free, i dont know why we signed him at all.

Thats the part I dont get.

This season is over... has been for weeks, but I will be interested to see what backline we have for 2020. Lafai, 1 year older and busted sadly, Aitken, Lomax may develop further as may Rava, but overall pretty thin roster.

RufusRex

Post Whore
that ... and we are letting go a bloke who leads all forward stats in the reggies witout firing a shot off the bench in firsts ... .just stupid stubborn idiots in charge ... all so the likes of Allgood and Latimore can play .. seriously the level of derp in the place is amazing.

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
Obviously we are making room for a couple of big signings it’s all part of a massive master plan
Just trying to get the right > 32 year olds to keep the correct balance in the team
If Tigpies don’t resign Benji & Robbie we are gonna make an offer they can’t refuse.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Sure you weren't trying to say well you forgot all these shitters who never made a successful career out of it?
That would be more like your sarcastic way of things.
Oh yes, I was very much saying precisely that.. Kudos to you on your comprehension tonight..

Far too often we get in a self perpetuating bubble in here and talk up particular players as the next big thing, all trying to show we’re smarter than the club..

So whilst it’s a shame to lose a junior (particularly an Illawarra junior as they’re the best ones) only time will tell if he is the next Damien Cook or the next Shannon Crook.

Old Timer

Coach
Oh yes, I was very much saying precisely that.. Kudos to you on your comprehension tonight..

Far too often we get in a self perpetuating bubble in here and talk up particular players as the next big thing, all trying to show we’re smarter than the club..

So whilst it’s a shame to lose a junior (particularly an Illawarra junior as they’re the best ones) only time will tell if he is the next Damien Cook or the next Shannon Crook.
The tragedy is that we don’t just treat them as themselves and judge them as individuals.
People reference the good ones that left whilst others reference the ones who were over rated and never made it, all of which is irrelevant.
The only thing that is relevant is that we invested 4 years in a player that we never bothered to find out if he could cut it in 1st grade whilst we invested time in players who we knew had not made it and never will.
Tragic really.

BennyV

Referee

TBH, it doesn’t matter if he ends up closer to the lower end. We are playing Lachlan f**king Maranta in first grade!!! That’s the bar we put these juniors below. The fact that we can do that, let players like Herbert, Garrick and now Marsters leave and claim we are a development club is embarrassing.

We are horrible at player development and we are choosing journeyman plodders over young talent (home grown or not) because we don’t have the ability to bring them into first grade. It’s symptomatic of our middle-of-the-road targets and a kick to the dick of all those who want the club to be the best it can be.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The tragedy is that we don’t just treat them as themselves and judge them as individuals.
People reference the good ones that left whilst others reference the ones who were over rated and never made it, all of which is irrelevant.
The only thing that is relevant is that we invested 4 years in a player that we never bothered to find out if he could cut it in 1st grade whilst we invested time in players who we knew had not made it and never will.
Tragic really.
It makes Romeo & Juliet look like a comedy..

TheFlash

Juniors

BLM01

First Grade
that ... and we are letting go a bloke who leads all forward stats in the reggies witout firing a shot off the bench in firsts ... .just stupid stubborn idiots in charge ... all so the likes of Allgood and Latimore can play .. seriously the level of derp in the place is amazing.
Who are we letting go in the forwards of reggies?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Tragic really.

Very true O/T.

Masters has gone through our lower grades, played junior reps, including playing for NZ, has had 2 years in our DS and now he's gone.
Admittedly his defense is very ordinary, but so was Garrick and look at him now.
Meanwhile, we openly gloat about a players who havent played at NRL level for nearly 2000 days and they are brazenly referred to as "next cab".
Whether Masters was good enough for first grade, we may never know, but we never gave him cause to aspire to it.
We have 4 others (im leaving H. Lomax out) in our DS who will he looking at recent events and thinking of greener fields.
Ford, Blacker, Lovodua and Saab, what opportunity is there for them in 1st grade under McGregor?
I also think others such as Timm wont be here next year.

Latest posts