What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Apey

Staff member
Toy Story 4.

Good fun just like the others. Unnecessary addition to the series without taking anything away from it. If you can forget about the obvious retcon storyline to make more $$$ then you'll enjoy it.

axl rose

Bench
Danger close

An exceptionally good movie dedicated to the Australian battle at Long Tan. Very intense battle scenes with moving outstanding tributes to the dead. I was only 19 playing at the end was a nice touch.

Would highly recommend

Did an admirable job of showing the battle as a whole rather than just individuals. Though to nitpick I did occasionally lose a clear sense of where the forces were in relation to each other.
A-

Last edited:

Zoidberg

First Grade
The lion king. Pretty hard to watch without comparing the original in my head. Some scenes were magnificent however some of the emotion and fun was taken away due to the realistic animation. Still enjoyed it. 7/10

Generalzod

Immortal
images
On Amazon Prime :

No Retreat No Surrender, love this gem

shiznit

Coach
Remember the Titans - rewatched it with my 8yr old and 13yr old who were watching it for the first time.

Suuuuuuch a great film. I forgot how great it was. Amazing young ensemble cast led by Denzel Washington and Will Patton. But they had the likes of Wood Harris before The Wire and Ryan Gosling supporting.

The story was a bit on the corny side... but it’s a Disney film so it’s to be expected...

Just on Denzel... is he the best actor of his generation??

He’s probably 15-20years younger than Pacino, De Niro, Nicholson so he’s not in that generation IMO...

But you look at his body of work... it’s f**king breathtaking...

He’s one of the best to ever do it IMO...

Springs09

Juniors
Remember the Titans - rewatched it with my 8yr old and 13yr old who were watching it for the first time.

Suuuuuuch a great film. I forgot how great it was. Amazing young ensemble cast led by Denzel Washington and Will Patton. But they had the likes of Wood Harris before The Wire and Ryan Gosling supporting.

The story was a bit on the corny side... but it’s a Disney film so it’s to be expected...

Just on Denzel... is he the best actor of his generation??

He’s probably 15-20years younger than Pacino, De Niro, Nicholson so he’s not in that generation IMO...

But you look at his body of work... it’s f**king breathtaking...

He’s one of the best to ever do it IMO...

Depends on what you base acting performance on.

He's 2 years older than Daniel Day-Lewis so I'd say no, as Day-Lewis always plays completely different characters and is often unrecognisable.

Denzel is great to watch but 90% you hardly remember the character's name, it's just Denzel.

Springs09

Juniors
Watched a few lately

From Up on Poppy Hill - enjoyable but not up to Ghibli's best - 7/10

This is Spinal Tap - can't believe it took me this long to watch it - 7.5/10

Bad Times at El Royale - pokes along never really doing much, wastes some good characters - 6/10

Atomic Blonde - tries to be style over substance yet has no style. Bland shots and imagery don't become cool just cause you put cool music over it - 5/10

Rush - good adaptation of a true story - 7.5/10

Matua

Bench

He's 2 years older than Daniel Day-Lewis so I'd say no, as Day-Lewis always plays completely different characters and is often unrecognisable.

Denzel is great to watch but 90% you hardly remember the character's name, it's just Denzel.
Denzel any day for me - since and including Gangs of New York I haven't found Day-Lewis to be completely unrecognisable at all (although thought he was good in Lincoln). I actually find him comical in GONY and the milkshake movie. I realise I'm in a minority, and I think all his pre GONY stuff is wiorthy of the acclaim, but I don't rate his post 2000 output.

Matua

Bench
Did an admirable job of showing the battle as a whole rather than just individuals. Though to nitpick I did occasionally lose a clear sense of where the forces were in relation to each other.
A-
Good film, if a little old school war movie a bit at times and with slight budgetary limitations and the odd dud actor. Also, there's so many Kiwi actors over here they could have at least tapped a couple of them to play the two main Kiwis (instead of having the Oz actors emphasise 6 all the time :D).

The brass cop a pasting but most of the other officers come out looking pretty good.

One scene I found funny was the two guys standing at guard duty when the APC's leave the base ... I find that extremely hard to believe.

Would definitely recommend a watch of this. I need to watch the doco about narrated by Sam Worthington.

shiznit

Coach

DDL is absurd... certainly firmly in the discussion.

But I don’t know if I agree with you completely...

DDL seems very diverse in the roles he plays... but the VAST majority are period pieces. I can’t even remember the last modern day DDL role... The Boxer maybe??

DW has won an Oscar for playing a civil war era soldier in Glory and then won another Oscar playing a badass dirty cop in Training Day.

I enjoy both TBH... if I see either actors name attached it will attract me to the film...

azzah72

Bench
Checked out the long shot, Seth Rogen and Charlize Theron.

Good little romantic comedy. Not usually my cup of tea but I like the leads so I had a crack at it.

Some very funny moments.

7/10

Watched a few lately

From Up on Poppy Hill - enjoyable but not up to Ghibli's best - 7/10

This is Spinal Tap - can't believe it took me this long to watch it - 7.5/10

Bad Times at El Royale - pokes along never really doing much, wastes some good characters - 6/10

Atomic Blonde - tries to be style over substance yet has no style. Bland shots and imagery don't become cool just cause you put cool music over it - 5/10

Rush - good adaptation of a true story - 7.5/10

I was of the same opinion for Atomic Blonde as well.

mongoose

Coach
Leon: The Professional - A classic, forgot how weirdly uncomfortable the relationship got between Reno and the 13 year old Portman lol . Gary Oldman plays an awesomely twisted bad guy.

The Matrix - Still holds up pretty well in the action and special effects stakes, all the philosophizing gets a bit tiresome, particularly from Morpheus. I remember the sequels being pretty poor, guess I will move onto them next...

T-Boon

Coach

One of my all time favourite movies. I agree it comes across ps corny to Australians but Americans really are like that.

Eelementary

Post Whore

They re' both freaking amazing actors, imo.

shiznit

Coach
One of my all time favourite movies. I agree it comes across ps corny to Australians but Americans really are like that.
I’ve always loved his saying about the version of the veer he runs...

“It’s like Novacaine... just give it time, it always works..” :joy::joy:

So old school... but badass... :joy::joy:

Latest posts