What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

T-Boon

Coach
I’ve always loved his saying about the version of the veer he runs...

“It’s like Novacaine... just give it time, it always works..” :joy::joy:

So old school... but badass... :joy::joy:

Haha, yep. I started using that for a while and also “your over cooking my grits”. Delivered with death stare.

mackdadday

Juniors
Split - Wow. My lady has been pressing me to watch it and watched in on a plane last new with a few beers. About a guy with 23 personalities and their battles among each other. 8.5/10

Million Dollar Baby - Hillary and Clint were great. 8/10

The Man who knew too little - An old Bill Murray classic about a guy who think hes in a live action theatre performance but its actually a real life international situation. Hilraious. 8/10

nöyd

Staff member
Shot Caller - Nicolaj Coster-Waldau (aka Jaime Lannister) and Jon Bernthal among others

Great premise but I found myself waiting for something to happen for pretty much the entire 2 hours runtime.

Basic plot is a banker/accountant has one too many drinks and kills his mate in a DUI, pleads down to 16 months prison but aligns himself with the jail white supremacist gang, kills a rival gang member whilst in jail so ends up getting another 10 years added to his sentence. Fast forward to the end where he ends up as pretty much the godfather of the Aryan brotherhood.

I think what killed any momentum that this movie might have had was that it started from when he was released from jail, instead of when he actually went there in the first place. We are introduced to this bad-ass tattooed gang leader, but we don't actually know why he is a bad-ass gang leader until it is gradually explained to us throughout the movie. I found it tedious and annoying, almost like the director was trying to be Tarantino but didn't have the source material to back it up.

It was ok, could've been great though. 6/10.

nöyd

Staff member
Oh also watched Cop Land again. Must have been like a directors cut or something because there were little extra scenes, or extended scenes that I cannot ever recall seeing before.

Stand out for me is Ray Liotta, his battle with his conscience when he tries to split with his insurance cheque only to ultimately come to Stallone's rescue is awesome

Love this movie, will no doubt watch again in the next 3 months or so. 9/10.

Springs09

Juniors
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is great, I'd rank it equal with Django but below Pulp Fiction.

He fits so much into it - homages to his prior films, a love letter to & a parody of 60s Hollywood, a parody of actors and their self-importance, a tribute to Sharon Tate, a revenge fantasy against the manson family, on top of the actual plot and usual Tarantino vibe.

Cliff is right up there with the best of Tarantino characters.

The scene at Spahn Ranch is also one of the best Tarantino has done.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is great, I'd rank it equal with Django but below Pulp Fiction.

He fits so much into it - homages to his prior films, a love letter to & a parody of 60s Hollywood, a parody of actors and their self-importance, a tribute to Sharon Tate, a revenge fantasy against the manson family, on top of the actual plot and usual Tarantino vibe.

Cliff is right up there with the best of Tarantino characters.

The scene at Spahn Ranch is also one of the best Tarantino has done.

Pretty much all this. I have to say after 15-20mins I was worried, but f**k me did it deliver after that. As per usual I didn’t get half of the deep storyline’s that he sticks in to his movies but after watching a YouTube clip explaining them I’ll be watching the movie again

Brad Pitt - could be his best role ever. Was absolutely f**king brilliant.

The scene where Tate is in the cinema, the final scene in the house and the scene at the ranch were beyond brilliant.

Easily the best movie I’ve seen this year but knowing the academy there’s no chance it wins

And vs pulp fiction? Wow...that’s a tough one. I really can’t call it at this stage. I’ve had 20yrs to lose my mind over pulp fiction...who knows how much this will grow on me over time

Giving it 9.5/10. Would be 10 save for the first 15-20mins

T-Boon

Coach
Are people forgetting 'Inglorious Basterds'?

Quinton's best are:
Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Basterds
Reservoir Dogs

The rest, including Django, are not anywhere near as good. He needs to stop casting Di Caprio because I cannot stand him.

Quinton's best are:
Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Basterds
Reservoir Dogs

The rest, including Django, are not anywhere near as good. He needs to stop casting Di Caprio because I cannot stand him.

Yeh it’s good no doubt

I used to dislike DiCaprio but in my view he has turned in to a really good actor.

I also rate Jackie Brown really high. Criminally underrated

mongoose

Coach

Quinton's best are:
Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Basterds
Reservoir Dogs

I always found IB overrated. The re-writing history thing just doesn't sit well with me.

Agree that Pulp Fiction is his best.

Springs09

Juniors

Quinton's best are:
Pulp Fiction
Inglorious Basterds
Reservoir Dogs

Okay, I think you're wrong. So do many people.

I always found IB overrated. The re-writing history thing just doesn't sit well with me.

Agree that Pulp Fiction is his best.

Agreed.

It’s all good fun slaying Nazis but the movie doesn’t hold up and have the re-watch ability as most of the others do.

I had put it down to Brad Pitt as he constantly bumps me in the movie. It’s ironic at the end if the movie where he poorly “acts as an Italian film maker” as I think he poorly acts as a “Southern Nazi Hunter”. But yeah, maybe it’s the bullshit story.

There’s definitely good scenes in IB but on the whole I find it a bit over-rated and have it behind Jackie Brown and Django, but above The Hateful Eight (I’ve only watched this once though).