What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

macnaz

Staff member
I have said before, packer is the missing intimidation factor in this pack. We lost 9 out of 10 when he got injured in the middle of last year. My mate played with him at stgeorge and said he is a really shit trainer, but is totally intimidating on the park. If madge is prepared to go with nice guys, great, but the slightest bit of intimidation would have gone a long way this year. To not use him because because he comes last in team runs is a bit f**ken stupid.
Lol . Nup back turning f**king fat bludger .... every forward would bust their arse while that merkin turns his unfit back to the defence while they would run past him and score tries.
Dud pathetic signing by a dud pathetic former coach.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I have said before, packer is the missing intimidation factor in this pack. We lost 9 out of 10 when he got injured in the middle of last year. My mate played with him at stgeorge and said he is a really shit trainer, but is totally intimidating on the park. If madge is prepared to go with nice guys, great, but the slightest bit of intimidation would have gone a long way this year. To not use him because because he comes last in team runs is a bit f**ken stupid.

Whilst this may be true, when we got dusted by the Eels on Easter Monday Packer was the worst player on the field by a mile. Madge dropped him after that and deservedly so.

The unknown

Juniors

I wish I could agree but he's just not up speed of the modern game. I was at the Parra game where we got smoked and his efforts were disgusting. Back turned and Moses ran past him a few times like he wasn't even there

Maybe early in his career he was intimidating, but Jesus Christ I wish he would pull his finger out. He worked so hard to get his life back on track after the stomping thing, why can't he do the same with his tigers career?

simmo05

Bench
He was hardly the only one who dogged it that day. If we apply the same criteria, the whole f**king team should have been sacked.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I wouldn't be surprised if Matterson has been on the phone with his manager recently saying "wtf is going on, you told me we could probably get an upgrade, not this bullshit that I want out", to which the manager responded, "this is how it works son, don't worry I've got it covered".

Or this is some power play from Tigers. Create a fictional story that some of our best players might leave because of all the overpaid ones. Might force things along quicker getting them off our books

Tiger05

First Grade
I wouldn't be surprised if Matterson has been on the phone with his manager recently saying "wtf is going on, you told me we could probably get an upgrade, not this bullshit that I want out", to which the manager responded, "this is how it works son, don't worry I've got it covered".

Or this is some power play from Tigers. Create a fictional story that some of our best players might leave because of all the overpaid ones. Might force things along quicker getting them off our books

I reckon it's the first point unless Matterson is a real cock. I was thinking he might be a good player but another f**kwit.

Tiger05

First Grade
Wests Tigers the doormat of the NRL
BRENT READ
Follow @brentread_7

55 MINUTES AGO SEPTEMBER 13, 2019

In the days leading up the Wests Tigers’ premiership win in 2005, former chief executive Steve Noyce — high on emotion and ambition — banged his chest and talked about the club wanting to become the Manchester United of the NRL.

All these years later, they are more akin to Accrington Stanley. The 2005 title was meant to be a turning point in the joint venture’s history.

Instead, it has become a distant sepia-toned memory that Tigers fans and officials cling to as they reminisce about the good old days and claim they can still be a force.

Truth is, the Tigers have been a light touch ever since, a doormat for rival clubs, players and their agents.

Michael Maguire said it best after his side’s inglorious exit from the finals race before a packed house at Leichhardt Oval last weekend.

For too long, near enough has been good enough for the Tigers. They talk a good game but play a soft one.

The club has been played off a break for more than a decade and they now reach a fork in the road as they contemplate the loss of backrower Ryan Matterson, arguably their best player this season.

Matterson is apparently upset with Maguire — there has been talk of a testy conversation a few weeks ago — yet the coach has spoken to the player and insists there are no issues.

Believe what you will. Some would suggest the problems have more to do with the club’s salary cap and the legacy of a past that has clouded their future, leaving them in a position where they must move players if they are to accommodate the likes of Benji Marshall and Chris Lawrence next season.

The Tigers have made a series of poor decisions with their cap, but Matterson has been one they got right. Too right it seems.

On his form this year, when he went close to cracking the NSW side, he is worth more than the Tigers are paying him.

He has two years remaining on a deal that now appears a bargain for the Tigers. As is so often the case in these situations, the player — or at least someone close to him — now appears to be agitating for change.

Maguire has extracted the best from Matterson and personally lobbied NSW coach Brad Fittler to have him as part of the Blues set-up.

His reward for going into bat for his player? Rumours that Matterson is exploring his options. Thanks for nothing.

The time has come for the Tigers to make a stand. They need to decide what sort of club they want to be.

They have made a series of poor decisions in recent years. They parted with their future when they lost Aaron Woods, James Tedesco and Mitchell Moses.

They followed that up with a series of shocking calls as they attempted to rebuild. It could be years before they recover from the mess they have made for themselves by handing inflated contracts to players when the club was in a state of mild panic.

Many of those responsible are now gone but those who remain are duty-bound to help the club find a way out of the malaise they are in.

The NRL is currently reviewing the game’s footprint as they determine what sort of shape they want the competition to take in years to come.

Fingers have been pointed at Manly and Cronulla. So too the Gold Coast. Yet the game’s greatest underachievers for the past decade have been the Tigers.

Since they last played finals footy in 2011, even the Titans have finished in the top eight. The Tigers have been an afterthought. Days like last Sunday, when the hill at Leichhardt Oval was packed and optimism filled the air, have been few and far between.

Year after year we hear about a sleeping giant with a huge supporter base. Year after year their soft underbelly is exposed.

Maguire has set about changing that and he has been met with resistance. He wants the Tigers to challenge for premierships and makes no apologies for attempting to alter a mindset of mediocrity that has infiltrated the club.

He has pushed the players and there are rumblings that some are restless. Maguire is a winner. A demanding one at that. The Tigers and their players need to buy what he is selling, Matterson among them.

If Matterson truly wants out, the Tigers need to play hardball. If they can get a player of similar ilk at Matterson’s price, give it some thought.

Otherwise, stand their ground and tell him if he isn’t playing with them, he isn’t playing at all. Tell him he will get an upgrade when the club can afford it and if he still isn’t happy, sit him out for 12 months.

The Tigers need to find their identity again. The days of being a doormat are over.

Interesting article.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Interesting article.

To me, it’s just an article written in hindsight.

He states that we have made a series of poor decisions. No one thought that signing Ivan Cleary or any of the players he bought were “poor decisions” until mid way through last year. Approx 18 months after he had signed.

Losing Tedesco was our biggest loss. Woods plays his best football off the bench and Moses was in a wooden spoon side last year.

Earlier in the article he talks about us having to move players on to keep Marshall and Lawrence, then talks about us missing semi final football for 8 years and not striking a blow since 2005. Why are two players who have been a consistent part of this side since 2005 (minus a few years here or there) free of criticism and need to be resigned yet the club has a soft underbelly?

WA Tiger

Bench

I think we’d all like to think the first point....The point is Matterson is gonna get an upgrade at some point that’s obvious ...Whats pissing Madge off is that the whole club is suffering because of what Cleary did including the players admin management us fans and especially Madge because he has to try to work through it ..Madge is trying to find a way out...having a player that agreed to a contract having the cheek to say after such a short time I don’t care that the club and you are in this situation I’m going to make it harder for you to fix this by demanding more. I’m going to make it harder for you to get a better team on the park because of something you didn’t cause but I don’t care ...I’m going to make it harder for you even though Im not a star yet ( and yes I stand out but what better than average player wouldn’t in this team). I don’t care about any of that. I don’t care about you the club or the other players or the fans ...I just want more money That’s what’s pissing Madge off...(And by the way he’s not the best / most valuable player in the park Benji is and whatever Benji is on with the trials he’s been through to come out the other end as he has he deserves it) What Matterson is on considering his skills/impact compared to what similar skills/impact players in better teams are on is prob about right ..Madge knows that as well ...Matterson is asking for money that he has the potential to be worth ..Thats bullshit especially considering the shit we are in ..and just because other clubs are offering more doesn’t mean that’s what he’s worth now..they don’t mind because all the hard work has been done with him they can over time just reap the rewards ...and Madge knows that ...Thats why Madge won’t budge on this one until he’s good and ready..because the long term impact of just giving Matterson what he wants when he wants it will make it even harder for Madge later on..Madge prob knows the right thing to do is to give Matterson more ..but he’s too pissed off right now..and he’s looking at all options

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
@Front-Rower - It is an article written in hindsight but there are some good points in there. Our issue is the salary cap.

I agree with most of your points. Paying to keep Woods or Moses would have been a disaster for us. The Marshall and Lawrence points were really poorly made. Lawrence will be on a minimum contract if he stays. Marshall based on how he has been playing is we assume massively underpaid. These guys aren't the problem.

As for why are Benji and Lawrence free from criticism I don't think they are free from criticism at all. I just think for what we are paying them they have been good for us. I think our issue is the salary cap. If we get that right which means we just get value for money out of our cap we should perform better. Lawrence had a poor year this year but he suffered those injuries and it's hard to crucify him for that. I thought Benji was one of our best players if not our best.

I also think we haven't been that bad and considering our cap position we've been good.

Das Hassler

Bench
I think we’d all like to think the first point....The point is Matterson is gonna get an upgrade at some point that’s obvious ...Whats pissing Madge off is that the whole club is suffering because of what Cleary did including the players admin management us fans and especially Madge because he has to try to work through it ..Madge is trying to find a way out...having a player that agreed to a contract having the cheek to say after such a short time I don’t care that the club and you are in this situation I’m going to make it harder for you to fix this by demanding more. I’m going to make it harder for you to get a better team on the park because of something you didn’t cause but I don’t care ...I’m going to make it harder for you even though Im not a star yet ( and yes I stand out but what better than average player wouldn’t in this team). I don’t care about any of that. I don’t care about you the club or the other players or the fans ...I just want more money That’s what’s pissing Madge off...(And by the way he’s not the best / most valuable player in the park Benji is and whatever Benji is on with the trials he’s been through to come out the other end as he has he deserves it) What Matterson is on considering his skills/impact compared to what similar skills/impact players in better teams are on is prob about right ..Madge knows that as well ...Matterson is asking for money that he has the potential to be worth ..Thats bullshit especially considering the shit we are in ..and just because other clubs are offering more doesn’t mean that’s what he’s worth now..they don’t mind because all the hard work has been done with him they can over time just reap the rewards ...and Madge knows that ...Thats why Madge won’t budge on this one until he’s good and ready..because the long term impact of just giving Matterson what he wants when he wants it will make it even harder for Madge later on..Madge prob knows the right thing to do is to give Matterson more ..but he’s too pissed off right now..and he’s looking at all options

You've laid it out exactly how a lot of us see it and no doubt how Madge does as well. Bottom line is he and the club agreed on the terms of what was a very good deal for him....he wants more after season 1 of 3 as he feels he's playing better than expected but the club cant ask for the contract be reduced if he tanked.
As you say...it's more about the timing and he's STILL on double Benji's money....how could HE feel if he chose to weigh his contribution ( on and off the field. ..as well as thru the gate) against some on the roster.
Grow up Ryan
Great post WA

To add...its also really none of his business what anyone else is on....those deals were done before his arrival at the club.

Last edited:

super_coach

First Grade
Without doubt the Matterson thing is for real and not a beat up by some second rate jurnos.

So what do we do, force him to stay for 2 seasons at 350g, upgrade his contract or let him walk. I can’t think of to many players who have been forced to stay at a club, so like the Cleary thing we have to make the most out of a crappy situation. So I would be looking at a trade, but not a 350g player but a 500g player with the other club picking up the difference.

There is no doubt in my mind that there is a club or multiple clubs who have been talking to a Matterson, you don’t come out bagging your current employer without having a out.

Anyway questions have to be asked how this all happened

Give us a rundown, behind a paywall

Here's the relevant text of the article from the SMH for you -

There's more to Matterson's Tigers tale than meets the eye
by Adrian Proszenko
September 14, 2019 — 10.00pm

Ryan Matterson hasn’t been happy at Wests Tigers for some time.

Not long after first raising some issues with coach Michael Maguire about 10 weeks ago, Matterson started talking to a sports psychologist. It’s one of several conversations that have been going on in the background. His agent first noticed he wasn’t happy in May and found him a professional to speak to.

Matterson wants out of the club, but it’s too simplistic to write it off as a falling-out with the coach or just a cash grab. The 24-year-old is on $350,000 and $425,000 respectively for the next two years of his Tigers deal. It’s less than what some of his underperforming teammates are on and ‘‘unders’’ for a player who was 18th man during NSW’s winning State of Origin campaign this year.

It is, however, a significant increase from his days at the Roosters and is the deal he agreed to before his stocks began to rise.

The Tigers, despite their well-publicised salary-cap issues, were prepared to discuss the prospect of an upgrade and extension. Matterson has shut that down. He has told those close to him he isn’t enjoying his football and isn’t getting what he signed up for with former Tigers powerbrokers Ivan Cleary and Kelly Egan.

Matterson has asked his agent to request a release; the Tigers don’t want to part with one of their best players.

Matterson’s relationship with Maguire isn’t the crux of the matter. Maguire deserves credit for making the back-rower a better player. When Brad Fittler was considering adding him to the NSW squad, it was Maguire who was pushing his case. They have had a series of robust conversations in recent months in a bid to address his concerns, although more had been made of one particular meeting than should be the case.

‘‘My job is to make the player the best he can be,’’ Maguire said yesterday. ‘‘I’ve enjoyed the fact he’s risen to the heights he has got to. I spoke to Freddy [Brad Fittler] about getting him into the Origin space because I believe that’s where he’s heading as a player.

‘‘I’ve had conversations with him continuously – when he first arrived, when I first arrived – about growing the organisation.’’

Matterson fell out with Brad Arthur when he was at Parramatta. Matterson thought of himself as a half. Arthur, who at one point dropped him to Ron Massey Cup, thought he was a back-rower. Turns out Arthur was right. Having been rightly criticised for paying overs for players, the Tigers feel they shouldn’t be punished for making a shrewd investment in Matterson. Unfortunately, it’s hard to keep someone who doesn’t want to be there. Cleary is a case in point.

Hope that is of assistance.

WA Tiger

Bench
Here’s the quotes that get my attention...1 Matterson fell out with Brad Arthur when he was at Parramatta. Matterson thought of himself as a half. Arthur, who at one point dropped him to Ron Massey Cup, thought he was a back-rower. 2. 10 weeks ago, Matterson started talking to a sports psychologist............... Why at Easts aged 22 was he going nowhere ? A high risk problem seeker? At least we’ve got some entertainment now ...I’ll enjoy seeing this one pan out ..

macnaz

Staff member
"sports psychologist" = mental issues draw card ! , same bullshit Moses pulled to get out of his contract.
Maybe he should just ask God what to do and cut out the middle man.
Poor guy gets to live the dream of playing NRL but it will take him a massive 3 years to be a millionaire... his life is in tatters ... wow what sort of club would put another human through such torture. Shame Weststigers Shame

Latest posts