What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ryan Matterson possibly on the way out?

Tiger05

First Grade
The newest outtake in that article is that he has been seeing a sports psychologist since May and that what he signed on for under Cleary is completely different to what he is getting now under Maguire.

It's just bizarre. He looks happy when he is playing. He is playing great. We did pretty well. If he is jealous of players like Packer and Reynolds what can we do.

Tiger05

First Grade
"sports psychologist" = mental issues draw card ! , same bullshit Moses pulled to get out of his contract.
Maybe he should just ask God what to do and cut out the middle man.
Poor guy gets to live the dream of playing NRL but it will take him a massive 3 years to be a millionaire... his life is in tatters ... wow what sort of club would put another human through such torture. Shame Weststigers Shame

It's a f**ken joke isn't it.

macnaz

Staff member
It's just bizarre. He looks happy when he is playing. He is playing great. We did pretty well. If he is jealous of players like Packer and Reynolds what can we do.
Turdesco looked happy as well, but a few brown paper bags ultimately made him feel ever happier

WA Tiger

Bench
"sports psychologist" = mental issues draw card ! , same bullshit Moses pulled to get out of his contract.
Maybe he should just ask God what to do and cut out the middle man.
Poor guy gets to live the dream of playing NRL but it will take him a massive 3 years to be a millionaire... his life is in tatters ... wow what sort of club would put another human through such torture. Shame Weststigers Shame
That is very funny!! Cut out the middleman Hahaha

WA Tiger

Bench
Music Brent Read.....”If Matterson truly wants out, the Tigers need to play hardball. If they can get a player of similar ilk at Matterson’s price, give it some thought.

Otherwise, stand their ground and tell him if he isn’t playing with them, he isn’t playing at all. Tell him he will get an upgrade when the club can afford it and if he still isn’t happy, sit him out for 12 months.

The Tigers need to find their identity again. The days of being a doormat are over.”

macnaz

Staff member
Why should we get punished by a great moneyball signing? f**k this merkin, make him stay
Whilst I agree with that sediment, we cant just keep hanging on to players that are surplus to our needs or under performing .
Imagine going into 2020 with Packer, Mats, Mc Queen, Reynolds and also adding Matterson a d having them tank it or play 2nd grade ? .. over $2 million wasted .
That article is just stupid, its impossible to play hard ball and win .

macnaz

Staff member
End of the day if its comes down to the club now getting screwed over by an honourable angelic god fearing christian in his first full year of NRL we may as well just pack up all the witches hats and weights at Concord and send them to Perth, because we cant win paying good money and still lose spending wisely. You need an invisible unlimited cash supply to be anywhere near competitive in the NRL today :rage:

Front-Rower

First Grade
For us to be successful we need to buy a player or two players who other decent players want to come and play with and sustain it for at least 2-3 years...somehow. We really need an origin level player in at least 2 spine positions to achieve this. It's one of the only ways we can achieve success imo

WA Tiger

Bench
Whilst I agree with that sediment, we cant just keep hanging on to players that are surplus to our needs or under performing .
Imagine going into 2020 with Packer, Mats, Mc Queen, Reynolds and also adding Matterson a d having them tank it or play 2nd grade ? .. over $2 million wasted .
That article is just stupid, its impossible to play hard ball and win .
Aha But The difference with this out of control Christian is he’s only 24 the others know it’s their golden handshake ..so they don’t mind riding it out... this guy will lose the best and last 2 years of his optimum athletic life ...Like Ali when he came back at 26 You couldn’t recognise him from his pre banned years ...There’s no way Matterson would let that happen...

Last edited:

gordsy

Juniors
But it doesnt matter. Lets all look to the next big name signings who the next coach will f**k over once madge leaves.
We didn't f**k packer over, he f**ked us over by taking big money but delivering little effort and results. The whole team may have deserved to be sacked but he is the high profile signing on big cash. With that comes big responsibility. What part of this is so hard to comprehend ???

simmo05

Bench
We didn't f**k packer over, he f**ked us over by taking big money but delivering little effort and results. The whole team may have deserved to be sacked but he is the high profile signing on big cash. With that comes big responsibility. What part of this is so hard to comprehend ???
What, is he the only big name player in history to play like shit for a few weeks? Ponga dogged it, but he wasnt sent to reserves for the remainder of the season. Moses dogged it but we played him until he left. Darius dogs it weekly, yet he is still played. You know why, because if you have a player taking up a big chunk of the cap you play them. Ala reynolds. Take a minute and comprehend that

Front-Rower

First Grade
What, is he the only big name player in history to play like shit for a few weeks?

NRL.com stats have Packer running for over 100 metres in 2 of the 6 games he played this year:

Rd 2 Vs. Warriors - 133 metres
Rd 4 Vs. Penrith - 102 metres

Rds 4 & 5 he made near on 40 tackles in each game and in 6 games missed a total of 8 tackles all up. It’s no where near as bad as it’s made out to be.

https://www.nrl.com/players/nrl-premiership/wests-tigers/russell-packer/

Tiger05

First Grade
What, is he the only big name player in history to play like shit for a few weeks? Ponga dogged it, but he wasnt sent to reserves for the remainder of the season. Moses dogged it but we played him until he left. Darius dogs it weekly, yet he is still played. You know why, because if you have a player taking up a big chunk of the cap you play them. Ala reynolds. Take a minute and comprehend that

The problem that we have is that Reynolds and Packer probably aren't first graders at this point. The alternatives we have are better.

I get what you are stating but we need to sort our cap out. We sign this Christian fella on decent money for him and us and after one good season where it's clear he deserves more money he wants out.

Fair enough release Matterson if we also can release Packer and Reynolds. If not then Matterson should be doing the right thing which to me is play out his contract to the best of his ability. We might offer him more money for extending with us.

simmo05

Bench
I
The problem that we have is that Reynolds and Packer probably aren't first graders at this point. The alternatives we have are better.

I get what you are stating but we need to sort our cap out. We sign this Christian fella on decent money for him and us and after one good season where it's clear he deserves more money he wants out.

Fair enough release Matterson if we also can release Packer and Reynolds. If not then Matterson should be doing the right thing which to me is play out his contract to the best of his ability. We might offer him more money for extending with us.
s oliver clark better though? I get we need to fix the cap, but you need to play who you have. I supervise crane and rigging crews on big constuction projects, if i tried shafting every worker i didnt get on with, or who didnt perform for a while, i wouldnt have a job, as noone would want to work for me. But anyway, thats my humble opinion, wont change it, and i respect the right of everyone else to have one, no matter how wrong it is......:joy::joy:

Das Hassler

Bench
I guess i've been somewhere else as i thought i saw Packer get hurt in CC a couple of months ago not long after returning from another long layoff from an injury ....as far as i can recall he was dropped after the parra debacle and hasn't really strung enough games together to make himself available for selection.

Tiger05

First Grade
I guess i've been somewhere else as i thought i saw Packer get hurt in CC a couple of months ago not long after returning from another long layoff from an injury ....as far as i can recall he was dropped after the parra debacle and hasn't really strung enough games together to make himself available for selection.

This is my take about what is happening. If Packer and Reynolds start performing they will be used.

macnaz

Staff member
For us to be successful we need to buy a player or two players who other decent players want to come and play with and sustain it for at least 2-3 years...somehow. We really need an origin level player in at least 2 spine positions to achieve this. It's one of the only ways we can achieve success imo
That's spot on FW .. but my concern is that if we cant even keep someone of good character such as Matterson I cant see us attracting someone that has actually made a name for themselves.
Perhaps in this case we just misread what Matterson was all about and other guys might not be the same .
I'm Just losing faith we can find anyone with values that is happy to uphold their end of a contract .

Front-Rower

First Grade
That's spot on FW .. but my concern is that if we cant even keep someone of good character such as Matterson I cant see us attracting someone that has actually made a name for themselves.

If the coach is as good as he is made out to be, he needs to find the one. Preferably a halfback, then that leads to a good outside back. Our forwards are OKAY to a point. We can talk about money all we want, and yes that helps, but players want to play with successful clubs on the field. I have a funny feeling that Matterson sees us having no chance of making the 8 if we continue with the halves and outside backs that we have.

macnaz

Staff member
I think Madge knows that as well and is why he is trying to move on Marsters and Reynolds for starters