What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL Expansion. Ideas and opinions.

Who would you admit as the next team into the NRL?

• Perth

Votes: 75 57.7%
  • PNG

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • Wellington/2nd NZ team

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • Darwin

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Fiji

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Central Queensland/4th Queensland team

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • Samoa

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Other (please specify)/No Expansion

Votes: 12 9.2%

• Total voters

Stallion

First Grade
@Stallion--- you didn't answer my question, how many people do you think live in the Central Coast aka. "Bears Country" as you like to call it that currently DON'T watch top flight NRL or support a team that WOULD if the Bears were returned to the NRL in 2020??

Suggest Central Coast is about 400000? Think you are forgetting that the Bears have support around the nation. But this gets conveniently omitted on such a discourse. For instance , just the other day a 40 something principal at a school I teach at lamented that the Bears were shafted and would support a Bears team back in the top flight. This is just one example. But I know these anecdotal examples don't count on this site. But it's a reality that is being ignored.Shame. But that's the way it is. We battle on. And think you are missing the point . I am referring to mending and consolidating the code. The Central Coast gains ownership and its place in the sun.And also many Bears fans.

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
Suggest Central Coast is about 400000? Think you are forgetting that the Bears have support around the nation. But this gets conveniently omitted on such a discourse. For instance , just the other day a 40 something principal at a school I teach at lamented that the Bears were shafted and would support a Bears team back in the top flight. This is just one example. But I know these anecdotal examples don't count on this site. But it's a reality that is being ignored.Shame. But that's the way it is. We battle on. And think you are missing the point . I am referring to mending and consolidating the code. The Central Coast gains ownership and its place in the sun.And also many Bears fans.
More utter drivel

TheRam

Coach
Your "only way" is not the only way. It's pretty simple : Central Coast Bears. Easy . But for some not so.
Mind you the amazing angst being witnessed against a logical move like Central Coast Bears could be ok with maybe an Adelaide Bears? That may work if common sense for northern Sydney can't win through.

Mate you and I will be long gone before the Central Coast gets a team if ever. What type of drugs are you on?

I suppose dreaming is free.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Manly need to start planning to move to a ore central point in northern Sydney region and rename or face life in the nsw Cup. Sydney seaeagles playing out of a new stadium in that central northern corridor is the only way I see them still being around in 25 years time in the top flight.

Bears best and probably only hope is to lead a bid in Adelaide in ten years or so time.

siv

First Grade
Manly need to start planning to move to a ore central point in northern Sydney region and rename or face life in the nsw Cup. Sydney seaeagles playing out of a new stadium in that central northern corridor is the only way I see them still being around in 25 years time in the top flight.

Bears best and probably only hope is to lead a bid in Adelaide in ten years or so time.

Manly supporters don't cross the Spit or Roseville bridges. It's a physically isolated community

parrawentyfan

Juniors

Chatswood please. Massive economic hub with good transport to the city.

Slater1

Juniors

The entire population of the Central Coast according to the ABS is 333,000-- yet you believe that there's 400,000 people there that currently DON'T watch NRL but would if the Central Coast had their own team.

What type of logic is that?

Bojackhorseman

Juniors
The entire population of the Central Coast according to the ABS is 333,000-- yet you believe that there's 400,000 people there that currently DON'T watch NRL but would if the Central Coast had their own team.

there is none.

siv

First Grade
Your not doing this for the 10k manly fans. your doing it to attract 20kfans from across the northern Sydney region.

Then you need to badge it as North Sydney or CC Bears

North Shore has 1 mil population huge corporate support and a 400k CC community

Manly used to be Bears junior territory

But Easts have already claimed the North Shore & CC

Can't see Easts letting anyone take that back. Manly is more likely to be killed off by Easts power brokers

Stallion

First Grade

Can't see Easts letting anyone take that back. Manly is more likely to be killed off by Easts power brokers

Well done Siv. Think you have alluded to the population figures very well. It's clear that the combined populations of northern Sydney and Central Coast (about 1.4million)can accomodate two top flight clubs. Having the popular Manly Warringah and a Central Coast Bears is the common sense means of catering to such a population and area.

siv

First Grade
Well done Siv. Think you have alluded to the population figures very well. It's clear that the combined populations of northern Sydney and Central Coast (about 1.4million)can accomodate two top flight clubs. Having the popular Manly Warringah and a Central Coast Bears is the common sense means of catering to such a population and area.

There are still around 500k on the peninsula

mongoose

Coach

I think Manly are an example of being a victim of your own success. They have won a premiership in every decade since the 70s and they are never down for long. They are just a club who do things their own way and succeed on the field. because of that they've probably never had to think about how to grow their supporter base or change things up much off the field.

Stallion

First Grade

Lol. Ok. Let's make it 300000(even less) & the 1million in northern Sydney. WORK IT OUT CHAMP. There is ample population for two top flight clubs!

Bojackhorseman

Juniors

You are now personally responsible for his next 500 posts on this topic.

Slater1

Juniors
Lol. Ok. Let's make it 300000(even less) & the 1million in northern Sydney. WORK IT OUT CHAMP. There is ample population for two top flight clubs!

There's 1.9 million people in Perth and they don't have a team; there's 1.3 million people in Adelaide and they don't have a team.

Why SHOULD there be a SECOND team in Northern Sydney when they already have ONE and can barely fill Brookvale.

You keep quoting overall population numbers-- but what I'm interested in is the figures of people who DON'T currently watch or attend NRL games from those areas but WOULD if the Bears were returned-- I'm sure it's MUCH less than the numbers you are sprouting.

Perth Red

Post Whore
People in north sydney arent going to follow a club based in Gosford anymore than they will follow the existing club on the peninsula. The region needs a brand new club to represent those 1million people, be that a relaunched Sydney Seaeagles or some new North Sydney entity that repalces Manly that isnt mired and divisive due to old allegiances. Where they would play is the problem as there is no where suitable and cant see the Govt stumping up $250mill for a new North Sydney stadium.

Latest posts