What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I agree, but it will take an approach to Ford from an opposition club to wake Millward from his nana nap.

Something to ponder:
Signings for 2020 under McGregor - Isaac Luke.
Signings for beyond 2020 with real possibility if no McGregor - Sullivan, SSE, Fegai bros, Blacker etc

The whiteanting has begun!

possm

Coach
Something to ponder:
Signings for 2020 under McGregor - Isaac Luke.
Signings for beyond 2020 with real possibility if no McGregor - Sullivan, SSE, Fegai bros, Blacker etc

The whiteanting has begun!
Millward's 5 year projections entered on his whiteboard became too complicated and confusing. He often erased the wrong player and could not remember the lost data. I'm told he sent his white board to the dump.

Now he has trouble saving his entries in XL on his iPad. Running out of room and does not know how to connect to an external drive.

True_Believer

Juniors
Millward's 5 year projections entered on his whiteboard became too complicated and confusing. He often erased the wrong player and could not remember the lost data. I'm told he sent his white board to the dump.

Now he has trouble saving his entries in XL on his iPad. Running out of room and does not know how to connect to an external drive.

Is he running out of room because he's saving them in extra large font?

getsmarty

Immortal

Mate..give your fictional stuff a rest....its starting to get boring..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Well..looks like he learned that when you are a coach you have to be a leader and communicate in all football departments and be innovative. All these years and a forced overseas trip paid by your club to realise that.
No wonder he cant coach. He was not sure how many seminars he went to. Sounds like he was bored or fell asleep or could not wait to get to the seminar after function drinks.... but I bet he learnt what are the better beers over there.
In 1 weeks time Mary would have forgotten what the trip was all about and prove a waste of money but least it got him away from setting up the start of pre-season. They have been doing fine without him.
This was his last chance to try and shake things up and turn things around 360 degrees.....and he cant so it is bye bye.
Oh and Mary..what does leave a footprint in all areas mean..and they are formidable words...how do you suppose to implement that?

In relation to training courses and Mary, the saying casting pearls before swine comes to mind

Dragsters

First Grade
Rugby League gameplans, tactics, team selections and bench use 101.

That's the course he needs to be doing asap!

These are the four areas he has faltered in time and time again during his tenure.

He needs to grasp these fundamental concepts if the team is to improve...

Crush

Coach
Here is my problem with our current team. Nobody owns a position.
Our number 1 for example, McGregor has come out and said "Zac will get first crack that spot".
Last year we had 5 guys "have a crack" at fullback.
We need solid professionals in key positions, not untested rookies having a crack!

TruSaint

Referee
Here is my problem with our current team. Nobody owns a position.
Our number 1 for example, McGregor has come out and said "Zac will get first crack that spot".
Last year we had 5 guys "have a crack" at fullback.
We need solid professionals in key positions, not untested rookies having a crack!

Yep,

I thought as professionals , promising someone a position was delusional. Tried it with Dufty didn't he?

Apart from positions 3 and 4, the rest is anyones guess. We keep committing to positional starts to appease the player, and stop him from leaving as opposed to putting the best available talent in their suited role.

Reactions: jak

Kylez3

Juniors
Capewell signs with the Panthers.

Isn't Millward doing a fantastic job? Another season of Aitken and Lafai in the centres.

Last edited:

Crush

Coach
Yep,

I thought as professionals , promising someone a position was delusional. Tried it with Dufty didn't he?

Apart from positions 3 and 4, the rest is anyones guess. We keep committing to positional starts to appease the player, and stop him from leaving as opposed to putting the best available talent in their suited role.
Every year its the same shit. We seem to be trialing rookies for key spine positions. Remember a couple of years back they were using the trial games and charity shield to see who got the nod at fullback, Kurt Mann, Jai Field, Matt Dufty....
Look at the good teams. They aren't using trials to see who the fullback will be at Roosters and Raiders are they?
James Tedesco and CNK. They are their fullbacks. They are world class.

jeffdragon

Bench
Lomax should not be fullback, centre.
Sailor or dufty fb.
I hope we are not waiting for the jdb case.
Should have signed capewell. Leilua gone .
Make a friggin decision.

getsmarty

Immortal
dragons-dejected-190321.jpg

STATS

Stat Attack: Dragons struggle to come out of trouble
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 25 Nov 2019, 08:01 AM

St George Illawarra were the worst side at coming out of trouble last season, ranking down the bottom for net metres gained from long kicks and yardage metres.

In a club-low year where they finished 15th, an NRL Stats analysis found the Dragons averaged a net gain of 31.4 metres for every long kick inside their own 40 metres.

Only wooden spooners Gold Coast (31.1) had a lower figure, while back-to-back premiers the Roosters (36.4) led the way. The average of the top four teams was 34.3.

The net gain is calculated from the point the ball is kicked to where the team receiving possession is held for their first tackle.

A poor average net gain would suggest a team's kick-chase is lacking, their punts are often shallow or the opposition aren't usually being made to move much to gather the ball.

stat-attack-dragons_20191113.jpg

Of the 25 players who placed 10 or more long kicks from inside the defensive 40 metres, St George Illawarra playmakers Ben Hunt (31.1) and Corey Norman (31.0) rated 21st and 22nd for average net metres.

Raiders halfback Aidan Sezer (25.7) was 25th, while Panthers general Nathan Cleary (38.9) was top of the pops.

If a team can't relieve pressure through their long kicking, racking up running metres out of danger becomes more important.

Many successful clubs including Manly, Parramatta and Canberra relied mostly on just one of the two factors to establish field position.

But the Dragons failed to compensate for their low net kicking metres through yardage.

Five key match-ups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

They ranked last with 44.3 average metres per set that began inside their 40 metres – a fair way behind the Sea Eagles' benchmark of 48.9.

Yardage set metres excluded sets with defensive penalties and stopped if the tackle count was restarted.

Even the Titans (45.7m per set) finished ahead of seven teams for average yardage metres.

The Broncos (44.9 per set) were the second-worst at yardage despite boasting the competition's premier post-contact metre-eater in prop Payne Haas.

However, winger Corey Oates (148.6m, 21 games), Anthony Milford (121.5m, 11 games at fullback) and Darius Boyd (122.1m, 15 games at fullback) were the only regular Brisbane outside backs to average more than 115 metres per match.

Unsurprisingly, the Roosters (36.4 net kick metres, 47.3 yardage) and minor premiers Melbourne (34.4 net kick metres, 48.6 yardage) achieved the rare feat of being strong in both categories.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/25/stat-attack-dragons-struggle-to-come-out-of-trouble/

Thanks BLM01

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Are you sure?

Nothing is certain. However, Leilua is contracted to us for 2020, to break that he has to request a release. Yes, I feel that he has done this, but, as one poster has said, the request may be granted on signing a suitable replacement. That, at this time, hasn't happened, hence no confirmation from us or the Tigers. There maybe also some dealing with the Tigers signing Latrell, that may impact Leilua's deal.
In saying that and from what I've heard is that we are waiting on Merrin to be released from his contract, that is being delayed because they (Leeds, I think) what a replacement for him and are wanting Matt Prior. If Prior signs then the dominos will fall ie: Prior to Leeds, Merrin to Dragons, Leilua to Tigers.

Kylez3

Juniors
"Couldn't orchestrate a deal in time.."

Genuine question, didn't a similar thing happen with Brett Morris?

Attachments

• 76695257_858512674564655_4210620172735610880_n.jpg
    76695257_858512674564655_4210620172735610880_n.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 23

BLM01

First Grade
Nothing is certain. However, Leilua is contracted to us for 2020, to break that he has to request a release. Yes, I feel that he has done this, but, as one poster has said, the request may be granted on signing a suitable replacement. That, at this time, hasn't happened, hence no confirmation from us or the Tigers. There maybe also some dealing with the Tigers signing Latrell, that may impact Leilua's deal.
In saying that and from what I've heard is that we are waiting on Merrin to be released from his contract, that is being delayed because they (Leeds, I think) what a replacement for him and are wanting Matt Prior. If Prior signs then the dominos will fall ie: Prior to Leeds, Merrin to Dragons, Leilua to Tigers.
I am OK with merrin as long as
1. He is not on any money near like what he was at Penrith (700-750K)
2. He has realised he is not Artie Beetson and has stopped prancing and stepping when coming to the line and trying stupid offloads in traffic
3. Waits till he gets through the line if he can then offloads
4. Sally F is Ok with the move back home.