What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Feel sorry for Latrell. He's been poorly advised about how to go about his playing future. With the Roosters pulling their deal off the table and now the Tigers as well, there is little opportunity for him. Even the Cowboys have just statedvthey would have to move on several players to get him under the salary cap.
Whilst he would be a good pick up for us, the fact is that 900k - $1m a season for him is way over the expectations of most clubs including ours.
My prediction is that he will re-sign with the Roosters with some what of a tail between the legs approach. Realistically they are the only ones who could afford him long term.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Feel sorry for Latrell. He's been poorly advised about how to go about his playing future. With the Roosters pulling their deal off the table and now the Tigers as well, there is little opportunity for him. Even the Cowboys have just statedvthey would have to move on several players to get him under the salary cap.
Whilst he would be a good pick up for us, the fact is that 900k - $1m a season for him is way over the expectations of most clubs including ours.
My prediction is that he will re-sign with the Roosters with some what of a tail between the legs approach. Realistically they are the only ones who could afford him long term.
The Man Mundine is now his advisor and confidant, hence he's screwed as all clubs will drop him.......alarm bells are ringing!

nontime111

Juniors
I wish hed come to Saints...Lomax? Feagai? Ramsey? all could be a great centre partner for him for years to come!

possm

Coach
Tigers not interested in Latrell Mitchell, he has less and less choices, I’d take him in a heartbeat. Thoughts?
I agree! The problem is has Millward managed our cap well enough? Is there enough salary cap and TPA at SGI to sign him?

possm

Coach
I wish hed come to Saints...Lomax? Feagai? Ramsey? all could be a great centre partner for him for years to come!
All still very young and in experienced. Mary does not like such players. Mitchell is experienced and very talented. I imagine he now regrets getting offside at the Roosters.

I say sign him up and play him at either fullback or right centre. This would turn our weakest link into our most dangerous link. Hunt would have a field day setting Mitchell up on the right.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Latrell while highly talented would be a very difficult player to manage as he seems to have
motivational and other issues which require constant attention like Jarryd Jayne.

possm

Coach
Mitchell must realize that the opportunity to seal a deal at the coin he is looking for is a very difficult exercise and so I suggest Millward offers an incentive contract where he is paid 800k for year 1 of a four year deal and closer to his demands for years 2, 3 and 4 on the condition that he meets certain KPI's in his first year or he will remain on 800k until he does meet his KPI's.

Problem is, do we have the capcity to do this right now?

Can we attain the capacity over the next few months by releasing players who want to leave except for Lomax, and Frizell?

• Make Mitchell number one priority and put Merin and Macdonald on hold.
  • Offer to release Aitken, Lafai, Dufty, Sailor and one of either Pearson or Pereira to help clear enough cap space to sign Mitchell. Back fill with our bright young Dragons currently coming through.
  • For 2020, put Ford at left centre so the centre combination would be either Mitchell and Ford or Lomax and Ford. Ford is very quick, a good defender and has a good passing game. I'm sure he would not let us down at left centre and would perform the role that J Thompson once did so well.
I'm sure Lomax would stay if he would be given the number 3 jumper for 2020. I'm also sure that Mitchell would sign if he is given the number 1 jumper for 2020. If things do not work out with this combination, swap Mitchell and Lomax and see how it goes.

I'd say a backline like:

1. Mitchell
2. Saab
3. Lomax
4. Ford
5. Ravalawa, Pearson or Pereira
6. Norman
7. Hunt

would be a very competitive backline in 2020.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Latrell while highly talented would be a very difficult player to manage as he seems to have
motivational and other issues which require constant attention like Jarryd Jayne.
In 2020, with Flanagan and Sheppard coming on board as assistant coaches, with Mitchell being offered the fullback role and with Millward inserting some performance KPI's in Mitchell's contract, I feel sure all will be OK.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
In 2020, with Flanagan and Sheppard coming on board as assistant coaches, with Mitchell being offered the fullback role and with Millward inserting some performance KPI's in Mitchell's contract, I feel sure all will be OK.

None of this will happen mate, time to let it go.

Repression is a bad thing.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Mitchell must realize that the opportunity to seal a deal at the coin he is looking for is a very difficult exercise and so I suggest Millward offers an incentive contract where he is paid 800k for year 1 of a four year deal and closer to his demands for years 2, 3 and 4 on the condition that he meets certain KPI's in his first year or he will remain on 800k until he does meet his KPI's.

Problem is, do we have the capcity to do this right now?

Can we attain the capacity over the next few months by releasing players who want to leave except for Lomax, and Frizell?

• Make Mitchell number one priority and put Merin and Macdonald on hold.
  • Offer to release Aitken, Lafai, Dufty, Sailor and one of either Pearson or Pereira to help clear enough cap space to sign Mitchell. Back fill with our bright young Dragons currently coming through.
  • For 2020, put Ford at left centre so the centre combination would be either Mitchell and Ford or Lomax and Ford. Ford is very quick, a good defender and has a good passing game. I'm sure he would not let us down at left centre and would perform the role that J Thompson once did so well.
I'm sure Lomax would stay if he would be given the number 3 jumper for 2020. I'm also sure that Mitchell would sign if he is given the number 1 jumper for 2020. If things do not work out with this combination, swap Mitchell and Lomax and see how it goes.

I'd say a backline like:

1. Mitchell
2. Saab
3. Lomax
4. Ford
5. Ravalawa, Pearson or Pereira
6. Norman
7. Hunt

would be a very competitive backline in 2020.

Reality says it will be;

1. Lomax
2. Sailor
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Pearson
6. Norman
7. Hunt

TruSaint

Referee
One less centre available.

77016255_1572851016188085_3377966111579439104_o.jpg

nontime111

Juniors
we NEED Mitchell, very very badly, No centres or wingers ( well Lomax, thats it)
and all the young kids are too young just yet! one more year...
Imagine Latrell here then with Feagais coming through Sauni Esau , Ramsey Schiller etc... with Mitchell here also wed CARVE!! utter insanity not to grab the guy hes a total gun! ALL we need is ONE total gun in the backline...

Como Connection

First Grade
we NEED Mitchell, very very badly, No centres or wingers ( well Lomax, thats it)
and all the young kids are too young just yet! one more year...
Imagine Latrell here then with Feagais coming through Sauni Esau , Ramsey Schiller etc... with Mitchell here also wed CARVE!! utter insanity not to grab the guy hes a total gun! ALL we need is ONE total gun in the backline...
No from me!
CC

Dragonslayer

First Grade
With all the halabaloo surrounding who's coming and who's leaving the fact us we are still in a holding pattern with regards to DeBelin.
Our roster, salary cap and team make-up wont be settled until the 1st week in February, a month basically until the start of the 2020 season.
I just hope our 'coaching' staff have plans in place in the event of a less than favourable decision by the court and not go all in like this year.
JDB takes up about $550k, including most, if not all of the $300k long serving player allowance. Again we have to hold our cap balancing act until when most clubs have finalised their top 30, or 29, with really only the prospect of another unwanted journeyman joining our ranks.

BrissyRedV

Bench
This is the team I imagine McFail will go with come round 1:
1. Lomax
2. Williame
3. Aitken
4. Lafai
5. Pearson
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes