What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 season

Pomoz

Bench
That's good to know. My favourite bit is Brandy and Gower. Just hope my points hold up and make sense haha.
They are all good points, especially pointing out that he has had older dominant players beside him that has led to him taking a seat in the background. He strikes me as a quiet, shy personality as well. Contrast him with the swagger of the likes of Thurston, Keary, Smith and Slater. Even Luke Brooks and Mose have that arrogance and confidence got take control.

That said, as you pointed out he doesn't need to be like that if we have structure and a "off the cuff" payer in the team who can be the creative influence. In my view, what you have said and what we have all seen over the last few years, points to him being a 5/8th and letting someone else run the team at halfback, or, as hooker. There is no shame in not being a great organiser and creator, if you have the right balance in the team and you bring your running and kicking game to the table. If he can improve his tactical kicking, that alone will earn him a place in most teams. This is where you need the coach to be completely impartial so Nathan plays in the best position that suits the team and that is what is best for Nathan too.

With Nathan's limitations as a creator, am I the only one who thinks that Luai is going to have (unfairly in my view) enormous pressure on him to be the creative force of the Panthers in his first season as a starting player? Or do we think Barrett's coaching and the addition of Api will mean the pressure to create will not be as great this year?

I hope the latter is true, Luai deserves a chance to prove what he can do, but if our form continues from last year in the early rounds - march to the 20m zone, throw it around, no try, hand the ball over, then he is going to be in the spotlight.

OldPanther

Coach
They are all good points, especially pointing out that he has had older dominant players beside him that has led to him taking a seat in the background. He strikes me as a quiet, shy personality as well. Contrast him with the swagger of the likes of Thurston, Keary, Smith and Slater. Even Luke Brooks and Mose have that arrogance and confidence got take control.

That said, as you pointed out he doesn't need to be like that if we have structure and a "off the cuff" payer in the team who can be the creative influence. In my view, what you have said and what we have all seen over the last few years, points to him being a 5/8th and letting someone else run the team at halfback, or, as hooker. There is no shame in not being a great organiser and creator, if you have the right balance in the team and you bring your running and kicking game to the table. If he can improve his tactical kicking, that alone will earn him a place in most teams. This is where you need the coach to be completely impartial so Nathan plays in the best position that suits the team and that is what is best for Nathan too.

With Nathan's limitations as a creator, am I the only one who thinks that Luai is going to have (unfairly in my view) enormous pressure on him to be the creative force of the Panthers in his first season as a starting player? Or do we think Barrett's coaching and the addition of Api will mean the pressure to create will not be as great this year?

I hope the latter is true, Luai deserves a chance to prove what he can do, but if our form continues from last year in the early rounds - march to the 20m zone, throw it around, no try, hand the ball over, then he is going to be in the spotlight.

Yes I actually think he looks like the traditional 5/8 who was a bigger half who could help with kicking and had a good running game. NSW would use them a bit.

franklin2323

Immortal

I have said I prefer Burton over Luai but whichever one gets it will struggle at times it is a long season... so need more.

Api is experienced enough to take control. Edwards was 3rd in support runs last year despite missing games... so get him following the right guys or using in moves will help

OldPanther

Coach
I have said I prefer Burton over Luai but whichever one gets it will struggle at times it is a long season... so need more.

Api is experienced enough to take control. Edwards was 3rd in support runs last year despite missing games... so get him following the right guys or using in moves will help

Luai has a had a few pre-season now so should be alright. If necessary you could alternate Luai/Burton for a rest.

Edwards support play will be invaluable.

Simon51

Juniors
Hi everyone, I’ve been reading these forums for a long time and thought it was time to get involved in the discussion of our mighty Panthers!
It’s not a rumour but does anyone else think Brenko Lee would be a good value pick up to solve our centre situation?
He’s a big centre who can break tackles and can set up his winger quite well. Only thing I’m not sure on is his defence.
Check out some of his highlights:

Bob

Juniors
Hi everyone, I’ve been reading these forums for a long time and thought it was time to get involved in the discussion of our mighty Panthers!
It’s not a rumour but does anyone else think Brenko Lee would be a good value pick up to solve our centre situation?
He’s a big centre who can break tackles and can set up his winger quite well. Only thing I’m not sure on is his defence.
I’ve thought the same, off contract and looking for a club as well, re his defence it’s rubbish but if we stick Yeo or Martin next to him I think it’ll be ok

OldPanther

Coach

His low cost would be a plus.

Simon51

Juniors
I’ve thought the same, off contract and looking for a club as well, re his defence it’s rubbish but if we stick Yeo or Martin next to him I think it’ll be ok
Good to hear. Hopefully he’s on the clubs radar, he’s definitely not going to break the bank so I’d see it as low risk.

betcats

Referee

He wouldn’t hurt

franklin2323

Immortal
Luai has a had a few pre-season now so should be alright. If necessary you could alternate Luai/Burton for a rest.

Edwards support play will be invaluable.

pre season and the odd game is different to 24 games making 20-30 tackles making decisions in defence. That is partly why I would find a way both play so you can

Bob

Juniors
Reserve grader
Not really, attack wise he has everything, can set up his winger, can break the line, runs into a gap well, has speed in this respect he’s better than Whare, his only down side is he thinks defence is what goes around dehouse, which is where Whare is nowadays,

OldPanther

Coach
pre season and the odd game is different to 24 games making 20-30 tackles making decisions in defence. That is partly why I would find a way both play so you can

Well that's why I offered the potential to switch them as needed. You could play Luai for 4 or 5 games and give him a rest for example.

martielang

Bench
If we aren’t goin for an ‘elite’ outside back, could do a lot worse then Brenko Lee. Same can be said for Aitken. I’ve always been critical of his defence but IC seems to be decent in getting a solid defensive pattern across the field.

OldPanther

Coach
The fact they tried to get walker but he took unders to stay at Manly shows they saw the need and tried to fill it with the best available. Other than Mitchell who wants to play fullback Walker was the best centre on the market. If we end up getting a lower rated centre I don't blame them since they at least tried.

images (67).jpeg

Latest posts