What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe most likely to be the next expansion team according to the Telegraph

ReddFelon

Juniors
What’s the WA Govt offering in terms of a new Perth NRL team? Maybe some long term sponsorship money or money for a Center of excellence or something?

They spent that $10 Mil on encouraging Eastern State fans to fly over there and fill up hotel rooms... I don’t think it was an “investment in RL”..

Also what “flak” were they copping from the staunch AFL fans about it?

Maybe these people are the “insular” ones..
Lol genius, majority of the Origin crowd was Perth residents not easties who are too lazy to drive 20 minutes suddenly deciding to fly for 5 hours.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Lol genius, majority of the Origin crowd was Perth residents not easties who are too lazy to drive 20 minutes suddenly deciding to fly for 5 hours.

Gee thanks for the civil tone to a rational debate felcher..

Plenty flew over from NSW and Qld to watch it too..

Perth Red

Post Whore
What’s the WA Govt offering in terms of a new Perth NRL team? Maybe some long term sponsorship money or money for a Center of excellence or something?

They spent that $10 Mil on encouraging Eastern State fans to fly over there and fill up hotel rooms... I don’t think it was an “investment in RL”..

Also what “flak” were they copping from the staunch AFL fans about it?

Maybe these people are the “insular” ones..

8 years ago they spent $125mill upgrading the stadium after they were led to believe a Perth team would be coming in for 2013 Tv deal. They were left with egg on their face. Then they have invested significantly in bringing Origin, Double Header season opener, Nines and NRL games to perth. Yes partly for the tourist $ but reality is not many fans travel for these things across the country. They copped plenty of flak from AFL people for makign the double header the first major sports event at Optus.

They have also made sure RL is represented in photo opps and launches of sports related stuff. Might sound small but it positions RL in the WA minds and would have been unheard of a few years ago. They've also been increasing funding to NRLWA for a range of intiatives. Now was the time, given how friendly they are, to have been negotiating deals for a new club with good rent, a CofE, jnr sport funding etc. V'landys has fcked it up big time and set us back again. Great work from a new chairman!

BuffaloRules

Coach
less than 10,000 = plenty. Try not to choke on all the ash from those fires.

Making jokes about Disabled people and now bushfires...

Last time I respond to you turnip...

Here is the release from your own State Govt...

But the spend is all about "investment" in RL for WA which isn't mentioned at all right?

Im glad that Perth locals could fill the majority of the stadium for Origin though... Who was saying otherwise? ..

https://www.mediastatements.wa.gov....ct-more-than-12000-out-of-state-tourists.aspx

It is expected that about 12,000-15,000 interstate and international tourists will travel to Perth for the match. A further 7,000 intrastate tourists from within WA are also expected to converge on Perth for the match.

With the event taking place on Sunday evening, the influx of east coast visitors are expected to arrive in Perth earlier on the weekend, ensuring more overnight stays in the city and a greater return for local tourism and hospitality operators.

Hosting major events such as the State of Origin is an important part of the State Government's strategy to grow Western Australia's economy and create jobs

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
8 years ago they spent $125mill upgrading the stadium after they were led to believe a Perth team would be coming in for 2013 Tv deal. They were left with egg on their face. Then they have invested significantly in bringing Origin, Double Header season opener, Nines and NRL games to perth. Yes partly for the tourist $ but reality is not many fans travel for these things across the country. They copped plenty of flak from AFL people for makign the double header the first major sports event at Optus.

They have also made sure RL is represented in photo opps and launches of sports related stuff. Might sound small but it positions RL in the WA minds and would have been unheard of a few years ago. They've also been increasing funding to NRLWA for a range of intiatives. Now was the time, given how friendly they are, to have been negotiating deals for a new club with good rent, a CofE, jnr sport funding etc. V'landys has fcked it up big time and set us back again. Great work from a new chairman!

What stadium exactly?

The one that the Force and Glory were playing at? Did they get to benefit from that spend at the time?

Like I said, and have shown above, the zillions spent on origin is about filling hotel rooms in Perth, not a lot to do with promoting RL as per their own media release...22K apparently travelled to Perth for Origin..thats a big deal..

So insular AFL tards complained about RL double header being played at Optus? Why? Seems pretty thin skinned to me and perhaps a pointer that RL is treated not with indifference but hostility...

You didn't answer my question about what the WA Govt has done to support a new Perth team in the NRL.,.

Perth Red

Post Whore
What stadium exactly?

The one that the Force and Glory were playing at? Did they get to benefit from that spend at the time?

Like I said, and have shown above, the zillions spent on origin is about filling hotel rooms in Perth, not a lot to do with promoting RL as per their own media release...22K apparently travelled to Perth for Origin..thats a big deal..

So insular AFL tards complained about RL double header being played at Optus? Why? Seems pretty thin skinned to me and perhaps a pointer that RL is treated not with indifference but hostility...

You didn't answer my question about what the WA Govt has done to support a new Perth team in the NRL.,.

Yes NIB as it was, a big motivator for the spend announced in 2011 was the vibes the Govt had been given about an NRL team prospect in 2013. Its why they spent on putting a third home team changing room in and made sure it was all up to NRL spec. with the big screens etc
I was at the NRL's Govt and stakeholder breakfast in 2012 when Grant told us there would be no team for at least 5 years, trust me it wasnt hard to read what they were thinking!

Of the dozen or so RL events the WA Govt has funded Origin would be the only one with any significant tourist $ attached to it.

There are as many AFL idiots who hate RL as NRL idiots who hate AFL sadly. Such is the stupidity of some people.

NIB redevelopment
Support for the Pirates SG ball team through sponsorship and other funds
Support of NRLWA through funding for a whole range of health related programs to expand the influence of the game in WA
Funding NRL events in Perth to raise the profile of the game and keep pssed off fans soemwhat engaged

So, and remember the flik flak messaging from the NRL has been no Perth expansion, maybe, perth is important, perth is too hard etc etc , I think they are being pretty helpful! There is every other sport in Australia that has committed a first team to Perth (union who are just about the only worse run org than NRL aside) that they could be supporting instead.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Yes NIB as it was, a big motivator for the spend announced in 2011 was the vibes the Govt had been given about an NRL team prospect in 2013. Its why they spent on putting a third home team changing room in and made sure it was all up to NRL spec. with the big screens etc
I was at the NRL's Govt and stakeholder breakfast in 2012 when Grant told us there would be no team for at least 5 years, trust me it wasnt hard to read what they were thinking!

Of the dozen or so RL events the WA Govt has funded Origin would be the only one with any significant tourist $ attached to it.

There are as many AFL idiots who hate RL as NRL idiots who hate AFL sadly. Such is the stupidity of some people.

NIB redevelopment
Support for the Pirates SG ball team through sponsorship and other funds
Support of NRLWA through funding for a whole range of health related programs to expand the influence of the game in WA
Funding NRL events in Perth to raise the profile of the game and keep pssed off fans soemwhat engaged

So, and remember the flik flak messaging from the NRL has been no Perth expansion, maybe, perth is important, perth is too hard etc etc , I think they are being pretty helpful! There is every other sport in Australia that has committed a first team to Perth (union who are just about the only worse run org than NRL aside) that they could be supporting instead.

Im not buying the NIB Redevlopment as an investment in RL because the WA Govt were picking up "vibes" about a Perth team in 2013

Its an investment in all rectangle sports and the immeadiate beneficiaries were the Glory and Force..

Its great that the WA Govt puts some money into junior and Womens RL as I'm sure thay do for dozens of other junior sports as well..

What I'm missing from the Govt is the lobbying for an NRL team and perhaps a committment for tangible benefits to assist a new team- as mentioned earlier examples could be money for a Centre of Excellence or a long term sponsorship deal...

Paying for Origin, the double header and other one off games doesnt really do a lot to help get a new Perth team into the competition in my view.. thay have been playing games there for decades..

Why should the Govt care about what idiots think?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im not buying the NIB Redevlopment as an investment in RL because the WA Govt were picking up "vibes" about a Perth team in 2013

Its an investment in all rectangle sports and the immeadiate beneficiaries were the Glory and Force..

Its great that the WA Govt puts some money into junior and Womens RL as I'm sure thay do for dozens of other junior sports as well..

What I'm missing from the Govt is the lobbying for an NRL team and perhaps a committment for tangible benefits to assist a new team- as mentioned earlier examples could be money for a Centre of Excellence or a long term sponsorship deal...

Paying for Origin, the double header and other one off games doesnt really do a lot to help get a new Perth team into the competition in my view.. thay have been playing games there for decades..

Why should the Govt care about what idiots think?

that’s up to you, I was involved with the Reds bid back from 2010-2012 so know what discussions were Taking place between the WARL and WA govt and NRL. I’m not saying nib wouldn’t have /even upgrade at some time for the Force, glory are not very influential, but the push in 2011 was due to the belief that expansion would be happening during the 2013 tv deal period. A good example of it is Union wanted the West stand redeveloping with mostly corporate facilities, RL wanted a new east stand to increase capacity and get more fans under cover. League won the argument,

I don’t think you understand the situation at all, with Grant in 2012 telling the WARL, Pirates bid team and wa govt to stop wasting time and money as there will be no expansion they basically popped the ballon. Why would anyone spend time and money on a bid when nrl has said no expansion? Not sure if you’ve noticed but all the bids have given up. WA govt isn’t going to throw serious money or effort at a sport with no intention of expanding to Perth. The fact they are as supportive as they have been is a great testament to the work of John Sackson and the NRLWA team.

Because those idiots vote

ground zero

Juniors
doing up nib is like doing up leircthard oval or brookvale .a grand stand here a grandstand there. lipstick on a pig as perthred tells us. get serious western australia build a 40,000 seat rectangular stadium. thats what u need not a 20 thousand seat stadium.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
doing up nib is like doing up leircthard oval or brookvale .a grand stand here a grandstand there. lipstick on a pig as perthred tells us. get serious western australia build a 40,000 seat rectangular stadium. thats what u need not a 20 thousand seat stadium.

Why would we? NRL isnt interested in expanding, Union is screwed and Glory get 15k on a good day. Why would the Govt waste $400mill?
Even though its only half done HBF Park is still a better stadium than most of the sydney teams grounds.

Reactions: Vee

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Souths might say that, but that's only because Souths have stolen much of our territory over the years.

If its only the modern ones your interested in there's always plenty of extra feeling when the Cowboys play Brisbane just as there will be against Brisbane2. Everybody likes to get one up on Brisbane after all the whinging they've done over the years.

You’re right we have done a lot of winning over the years

davi

Juniors
Wayne Bennett backs the Redcliffe Dolphins as the next expansion team in the NRL comp.

"NRL super coach Wayne Bennett has broken his silence on expansion, declaring the code is ready for a 17th team and calling for Redcliffe to be promoted as the second Brisbane club to take on the Broncos in 2023.

As ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys prepares to ramp-up expansion plans, Bennett delivered his blueprint for the code’s growth and why Brisbane’s Peninsula is tailor-made to help deliver a $2 billion-plus bonanza in the NRL’s next TV rights deal.

It is understood five consortia have already contacted the ARLC to flag their intention to submit formal bids, but Bennett – a Broncos and Queensland icon – says there is one region crying out for an NRL licence.

“Redcliffe is the way to go – they have a ready-made club for the NRL,” Bennett told The Courier-Mail in his most expansive interview on the expansion debate.

“To me, it makes sense.

“Redcliffe are a very financial club, they have a huge junior base, they have a powerful state league club in the Dolphins, and they have all the infrastructure.

“The northern corridor of Brisbane is just getting bigger and bigger. The fan base there would be sensational.

“Wherever the NRL goes in Brisbane, the brand has to be sellable to Queensland fans. A name like Brisbane Dolphins would certainly work for me.

“They would be ready to go for the NRL in 2023. The ARL Commission has to treat a Redcliffe bid with great seriousness.”

Bennett is sure to become a coaching target for the prospective Brisbane bid teams.

The seven-time premiership-winning coach is off-contract at Souths at the end of next year and confirmed last week he will pass the baton to his assistant Jason Demetriou at Redfern for 2022.

Asked if he would be keen to coach a Redcliffe team in 2023, Bennett chuckled and said: “No comment. Leave me out of that one.”

But the 70-year-old was more forthcoming when asked to explain why a second Brisbane team – based at Redcliffe – could benefit the code on several fronts.

“What I like about the idea of expansion (for 2023) is that it’s only more team,” he said.

“We can manage one more team for a 17-team comp. Two teams is a bridge too far.

“What I also like is that every NRL team gets a bye throughout the season with 17 teams. That gives NRL players another week’s rest during the season. That’s a positive.

“The other thing is if we want more income to secure the code’s future, we need another team in Queensland.

“I’m not a fan of teams in Perth or New Zealand. We need to maximise people watching the NRL and a second Brisbane team will do that.

“Any person who isn’t a Broncos fan will gravitate towards another Brisbane club regardless of where they put it.

“Redcliffe will already have a state league of players to support the NRL team. It’s all there. These guys don’t have to go and pillage other NRL clubs to find 40-odd players for their state league team.

“When we started the Broncos (in 1988), the one thing myself and the founders stayed true to was building a club that would stand the test of time.

“We didn’t want shortcuts. We didn’t talk about winning a premiership in the first year. It was about building the right base for a long-term future and I’m so proud of what the Broncos have since become.

“From day one, the second Brisbane team needs infrastructure. Redcliffe has already got that.

“The beauty for a 17th team is that all the salaries are paid for by the game now.

“It takes an enormous amount of money and energy to start up another NRL club and Redcliffe have the base already there.

“Today, the NRL clubs get funding that covers the salary cap, so given Redcliffe’s leagues club and their junior base, they have a hugely successful future.”

The counterargument to a Redcliffe NRL team is that a Peninsula team will alienate more than 2.4 million people in the wider Brisbane metropolitan area.

The Bombers, for example, will be based in the inner-city, arguing that no kid from Logan will be interested in following a Redcliffe NRL team some 57km away.

Bennett, however, believes a second Brisbane team at Redcliffe will attract fans across the Sunshine State.

“I don’t believe going to the Peninsula alienates other fans in Brisbane,” the Broncos foundation coach said.

“No one will resent Redcliffe. If you market it as a second Brisbane team, people all over Brisbane have the opportunity to embrace the Dolphins.

“There are people in north Queensland who support the Broncos.

“There’s no reason kids in Logan can’t support a second Brisbane team from Redcliffe.

“It’s all about putting in the right infrastructure and having the right coaches to create the momentum to win over the public.”

Bennett scoffed at suggestions a second Brisbane team could threaten the survival of the Gold Coast Titans, who became the NRL’s 16th club in 2007.

“I don’t know why people are talking about the impact on the Titans, there is no impact at all,” he said.

“We all get the same salary cap. The Gold Coast was never created to impact on Brisbane and vice-versa.

“The Titans have a huge base on the Gold Coast and northern NSW, which is a massive growth area they can service if it’s done right.

“What impacts on the Titans is themselves and how stable they are as a club and how their team plays.

“If the Titans live up to their potential, they won’t have any concerns about crowds and the ability to attract players.

“A second Brisbane team will not kill off the Titans.”

https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...m/news-story/ce0f3a94f687fbd5d38d69779de9a3e4

MugaB

Coach
Wise words from bennett, is he ramping up his next gig? Some of his article's are great, but an complete article with wayne bennett needs video, he has such a poker face you never know if he is really adamant about the subject he is talking about. Anyways he is right in the regard, Brisbane Dolphins works, its a friendy mascot, not one tht reminds people of terrorists and AFL, they have the juniors set up and is successful, and redcliffe remains as is in QCup, they'll still play out of Suncorp this 1st grade team, and have maybe 2 games at redcliffe plus trials @ sunshine coast, obviously the redcliffe games will sell out, so Vs Manly, Panthers, Dogs and Sharks, would be taken there, all other games at Suncorp etc.
I can imagine Cowboys, Titans and Broncos getting close to sell outs, if this all works out, id be looking at Western Corridors bid for the following expansion, then look at other cities west of the east coast states

jim_57

Staff member
Redcliffe have a lot of 'expanding their reach' to do to become anything other than Brisbane's version of Manly. Maybe not straight away but in 5-10 years once they gloss has worn off ..but hey they have a big leagues club, that's all that matters right?

Latest posts