What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tina Turner

Do you want Tina Turner back?

• Yes...

Votes: 70 68.0%
  • No...

Votes: 33 32.0%

• Total voters

myrrh ken

First Grade
Plenty of feel good on-field moments they could have focused on:

- Curtis Scott cheap-shotting Dylan Walker
- Wade Graham cheating on the coin-toss
- Russell Packer relieving himself in his pants
- Tony Iro running backwards
- Jeremy Latimore nut-punching Cameron Smith

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Have always been part of sport? Thats fine, a very minor part, but how often are they used as the main portal of advertsing? Ive told you twice now why I dont like it and you're continuing to tell me that its for other reasons. You're probably someone who enjoys saving the world by arguing politics on twitter, if thats what gets you off then its no surprise you enjoy the add. The fact that you wont answer the last question shows that you're happy with them being political, as long as the politics are of your beliefs.

Not sure where sexuality issues have been a major part of rugby league history? Hell I remember Mitch Moses calling an opposition player a 'f*%king f#aggot' and copping a 2 match suspension, the same as Tom Burgess got for throwing a waterbottle. If the NRL were so serious about getting behind this surely they would have been harsher.

You know what else is a part of the game? Allowing violent offenders against women like Matt Lodge, Fonua-Blake, Musgrove, Ferguson back into the game. Maybe next ad should redemption stories of these guys.
Your ability to misinterpret and misconstrue is near peerless here.

Now you've invented a new criteria where something has to have "always been part of the sport" because I said politics itself always has been. The game was born out of politics some 110+ years ago ffs.

Your assertion that somehow these progressive moments are the "main portal of advertising" when they take up a very small portion of a 2 minute ad is completely misguided. No, I don't "enjoy saving the world" (its probably beyond it anyway). And I won't answer the last question because it's lacking in logic and would never happen.

Sexuality hasn't been a "major part of rugby league history", but it's certainly formed part of it, particularly in recent years. This ad highlights highs and lows in the 30 years since STB was initially the game's anthem, and the support of SSM with Macklemore's performance in 2017 along with the Origin kiss in 2018 are part of that. Small parts, but parts all the same.

No idea why you then introduce the Lodge/AFB etc... I'm with you on the general principle, in that I don't like that they're back in the game either.

Vic ‘I don’t like some aspects of the new ad’

Tim

View attachment 36501

Tim ‘I like the new ad’

Vic ‘ok cool’
You've been on here 11 years and you're engaging in this bullshit? :joy: f**king please

typicalfan

Coach
The ad has a few cheesy moments no doubt but overall it's great to have it back.

Not all of the advert is aimed at rusted on fans, that would be a bad advert. It needs to target old and new fans and you will never get something universally agreed on.

Plenty of feel good on-field moments they could have focused on:

- Curtis Scott cheap-shotting Dylan Walker
- Wade Graham cheating on the coin-toss
- Russell Packer relieving himself in his pants
- Tony Iro running backwards
- Jeremy Latimore nut-punching Cameron Smith

Nah. The ultimate one - Cam Smith being sent to the sin bin :eek:

Eion

First Grade
Could have done without the ‘super league tearing the game apart’ bit...don’t get that. But good overall.

Reflector

Juniors
Having watched the ad a couple of times now this is my 2c:

- I feel sorry for that kid at the start. Imagine having to spend the rest of your life knowing you were depicted as Cameron Smith. This surely constitutes child abuse?
- The flashback to the Trbojevic brothers is cute, but as PARRA_FAN pointed out, the timeline doesn't match up with Tom's age. Makes it feel like lazy research, considering the level of effort they went to with the rest of the ad
- The bit with Latrell is too drawn out, and showing the Indigenous team war cry instead would've been more powerful. Credit to the girl doing the solo vocals as well, but the chorus needs more power behind it. Only an adult vocals like Tina or Barnesy can nail it, but with kids? It would've sounded better with that group of kids who were playing footy on the sand all singing it together and felt more like a representation of "the new generation"
- Love the scenes of Sutton at the Souths march, the Newcastle Steel works closure announcement then the pub watching the '97 GF. Also the splice up of a young wingnut JT kicking the ball turning into his GF winning field goal. In addition to the quick flashbacks of the different Premiership captains hoisting the trophy/ big GF moments, it's a nice acknowledgement of the games' history over the past 30 years
- Would rather have seen the significance of the first ever WNRL Origin match being held (with some quick stills/ action footage from the game) focused on, over a single shot of two rival players embracing. The point of the womens' game is to provide another platform for women to be involved with our great game, not score brownie points with the "woke" crowd, is it not?
- Of all the GF acts to depict over the past 3 decades, why didn't they show Billy Idol?
- Finishing the ad with a Cam Smith wankfest. Yuck. I can see why it gave Toddy Goosebumps...

But look, I'm being picky with all of this. It's a much better ad than plenty of others the NRL could've gone with and it didn't leave me with a face like I'd sucked a lemon, so it gets a solid pass from me.

Timmah

Staff member
- Would rather have seen the significance of the first ever WNRL Origin match being held (with some quick stills/ action footage from the game) focused on, over a single shot of two rival players embracing. The point of the womens' game is to provide another platform for women to be involved with our great game, not score brownie points with the "woke" crowd, is it not?
The second person I've come across who's seemingly completely missed the bit with Ali Brigginshaw?

Reflector

Juniors
The second person I've come across who's seemingly completely missed the bit with Ali Brigginshaw?

The bit where she's running along the street past those posters? Yeah saw that. And the brief WNRL clip. But nothing about the Origin series or the significance of that getting underway.

Timmah

Staff member
The bit where she's running along the street past those posters? Yeah saw that. And the brief WNRL clip. But nothing about the Origin series or the significance of that getting underway.
You were talking about the women's game, is NRLW not the women's game?

6530117390a341587d8b86fc8fbfdc13

The Marshall

Juniors
Fans’ ire forces NRL to revamp controversial TV ad campaign

The NRL has revamped its much publicised advertising campaign after it drew widespread criticism following its launch on Monday night.

The Daily Telegraph has learnt the NRL have backtracked from elements of the advertisement which they say were wrongly interpreted as political statements.

There was much excitement celebrating the return of the Simply the Best moniker 30 years since it was originally launched by Tina Turner in what is considered Australia’s greatest sporting campaign.

But the revamp was widely panned with 74 per cent of more than 4500 fans in a Daily Telegraph poll saying it had missed the mark.

NRL’s chief commercial officer Andrew Abdo said the changes would reflect feedback from the fans but argued that the original ad was “just as polarising”.

“We weren’t given a directive to change it,” Abdo said. “We are reacting to the way some people interpreted elements.

“This is about getting people excited for the season. This is not a political campaign. Our intention is not to create a political debate.

“We want to live up to our mantra that everyone is welcomed and everyone is welcomed to their opinion. If people didn’t think it was an accurate portrayal of course we will change it.

“It’s not because we’ve been told it. We are listening to our fans.

“We are changing elements that people feel portrayed a negative”

The voiceover around the Super League moment has changed to show a reunited code while other elements will be “sharper”. The new advertisement could be relaunched as early as Wednesday.

“I was surprised that certain elements of the campaign were interpreted the way some people have,” Abdo said. “You have to respect that. We want to make sure we’re focusing on the positives and the original intent of the campaign which is to reflect on a remarkable 30 years in a remarkable sport.”

The video takes a look at some of the biggest headlines in the game’s past three decades including the Rabbitohs’ return, Newcastle’s 1997 win, Scott Sattler’s tackle in the 2003 grand final and Benji Marshall’s flick pass in the 2005 premiership decider.

High profile players including the Trbojevic brothers, Tyson Frizell, Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell feature.

The NRL worked with creative agency The Monkeys for the advertisement which took more than a year to produce. The longer-form advertisement is part of a wider advertising strategy which will include 30-second advertisements which Adbo said will be purely on-field focused.

There will also be a documentary about the makings of the advertisement and outdoor advertisements.

“There are so many elements to this campaign,” Abdo said. “We are getting judged on just one. The whole point of the ad was that it is 2020. It’s been 30 years and we will never replicate (the Turner ad). It was so special. Let’s celebrate history and guess what, in over a week it happens again.

“The original campaign in 1990 was just as polarising. It got quite a lot of negative publicity and people speaking out about an American woman being the voice of rugby league.

“That campaign was not universally loved in the game at the beginning.”

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/5f2595c1e99ea69b73d59a6fa3ddd67e

Latest posts