What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tina Turner

Do you want Tina Turner back?

• Yes...

Votes: 70 68.0%
  • No...

Votes: 33 32.0%

• Total voters

carcharias

Immortal
How’s the lethargic acting from pretend knights fans when Albert scores the GF winning try.
Ha
Pathetic
My mates and I cheered harder and we’re not knights fans.
We were jumping around the room like f**king legends.

Fangs

Coach
So they're part of our game, but we don't need to put them in?

I don't get it. You don't want anybody to know our game is inclusive?

Why not show Latrell absolutely bulldozing the opposition? Follow it up with other spectacular highlights from Indigenous players. Same goes for the women's game etc. That is being inclusive and there wouldn't be many complaints instead of what we have now.

Apparently they are trying something new to engage new fans. If that stats show it does just that then I'd be happy to change my position.

Game_Breaker

Coach
For the profile shot of Latrell, you notice the crew switched on an extra light or increased the brightness
I’m being picky but the editors should’ve noticed that

Frailty

First Grade
Why not show Latrell absolutely bulldozing the opposition? Follow it up with other spectacular highlights from Indigenous players. Same goes for the women's game etc. That is being inclusive and there wouldn't be many complaints instead of what we have now.

Apparently they are trying something new to engage new fans. If that stats show it does just that then I'd be happy to change my position.

No complaints about Tyson Frizell on his own in the street. But give an indigenous player his flag and it's mayhem.

Do you honestly believe that simply showing Rugby League highlights - and nothing else - actually sells the game? If so, can you please let me know why crowds, tv audience, and membership is stagnated?

There IS footage of indigenous players playing in the ad. Just like there is for the women's game. Why do people just want to ignore this?

GAZF

First Grade
How’s the lethargic acting from pretend knights fans when Albert scores the GF winning try.
Ha
Pathetic
My mates and I cheered harder and we’re not knights fans.
We were jumping around the room like f**king legends.
The response of the Knights fans was one I'd expect of Knights fans who have watched the Knights for the last decade. Knights.

Springs09

Juniors
What a load of unadulterated bullshit.

If you're all for the things you say in your preamble, then I don't understand why it matters. All the things shown are part of our game today in one way or another. Leaving them all out purposely would be just as (if not more) controversial.

The overarching and dominant theme of the ad is rugby league, the highlight for me was very clearly the classic moments over the 30 years, the recreation of the celebration of those moments in pubs and homes - that's the gold in this ad.

As for "all we get is two chicks kissing"... did you miss the 5+ seconds of Ali Brigginshaw walking along the street interlocked with commentary and footage of her scoring a try? Or the girl at the end running out with her ball because she was inspired by the current generation?

If you want to "enjoy it for what it is" you know by now this *is* what it is.

Right, cause Macklemore is part of our game, totally.

Fangs

Coach
No complaints about Tyson Frizell on his own in the street. But give an indigenous player his flag and it's mayhem.

Do you honestly believe that simply showing Rugby League highlights - and nothing else - actually sells the game? If so, can you please let me know why crowds, tv audience, and membership is stagnated?

There IS footage of indigenous players playing in the ad. Just like there is for the women's game. Why do people just want to ignore this?

Frizell comment is rubbish and a tad insulting, not going to comment on that.

I'm not an expert on what sells the game. I can't provide statistics. But if you can show me statistics that this ad propels the game forward then I'll stand corrected. Lets come back in a year.

Yes and that footage was excellent. I'd like to know why those other moments we are all getting stirred up about were placed in there. To attract new fans? If thats the case lets come back in a year and the proof will be in the pudding.

Springs09

Juniors
Why is everyone getting shitty about the political stuff? they need to fill the pre-game, half time and rap up with SOMETHING.....

Without the stories (indigenous team, rep teams, hundred year old clubs), it is just 26 men wrestling in the mud. The stories are what elevate these events to become great cultural moments.

If you guys are genuinely against virtue signaling, the first place to start is ending the Roosters-Dragons ANZAC Day Match. What a patricotic wank-fest. Forget that the event draws 40k to a match-up that otherwise gets gets maybe 10k.

Then we should get fix up Origin. Have the teams play in Black v White jumpers for proper contrast (no need for blue or Maroon, thats just virtue signling to the states) and drop the limits on selections. Just choose the best players.

If it is really only about the football and the is NO value in the story around it, surely we can strip all of that other stuff away and it should only make it better.

The stories around football are football. Rep teams aren't political. The political rubbish is about as relevant to football as gossip about player's wives and girlfriends or the constant NRL 'stars' no one has heard of getting into scandals. The indigenous players in our game makes sense to promote and is an important part of rugby league history but what's Latrell standing in a flag in the ocean got to do with anything? Show him representing the All-Stars and Australia or something. And Macklemore? Really? That's not a rugby league story. We've got tons of great stories around our game, this ad barely touches on any of them.

Springs09

Juniors
I don't want politics in sport is such bullshit. Politics has always been in sport and always will be.

The ad isn't even f**king preachy, it features a few Indigenous moments, flashes up the Origin kiss, Macklemore. Those things make up less than a tenth of the entire video but you focus in on them because it's an easy bash.

Your comparisons to animal shelters is ridiculous. Indigenous, womens and sexuality issues are all very relevant to the game because all three are part of the culture of the playing group we currently have. Ignoring that would be arguably worse. Featuring (not preaching) is just being representative of the game.

And that last question is just absurd.

It's nice to see Vic Mackey explain his point concisely without insulting anyone and then you come out with this rubbish. Not everyone who disagrees with you needs to be insulted. We get it, you're 'tolerant' and 'progressive'.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Just show highlights.. Does more to promote the game then jumping on to whatever social media topic is going at the time
Who wants to see highlights of the game you are trying to promote when there Woke points to be won?? It shows you how much they believe in their virtue signalling when they change the ad as soon as their is a hint of criticism. So typical.

Springs09

Juniors
Who wants to see highlights of the game you are trying to promote when there Woke points to be won?? It shows you how much they believe in their virtue signalling when they change the ad as soon as their is a hint of criticism. So typical.

Careful, Timmah will be warming up his typing fingers. How dare you criticise an advertisement!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
There *are* highlights from Indigenous players throughout it though?
Right, cause Macklemore is part of our game, totally.
He appears for about half a second, and it's because he performed at the 2017 Grand Final and it was a significant moment in our recent history as a game. How are you offended by it? Why does it upset you so much?
It's nice to see Vic Mackey explain his point concisely without insulting anyone and then you come out with this rubbish. Not everyone who disagrees with you needs to be insulted. We get it, you're 'tolerant' and 'progressive'.
No idea what you're reading. There's a difference in being dismissive of somebody's arguments (e.g. saying a comparison to something is ridiculous) and being insulting. At no point was I personally insulting.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
For the profile shot of Latrell, you notice the crew switched on an extra light or increased the brightness
I’m being picky but the editors should’ve noticed that

I doubt they switched on an extra light or increased the brightness. The change in light looks more movement related.

They may have been using a reflector and whatever they were using would have had to have been held/placed in the water which would create a lot of difficult movement to counter.

It may have just been the best of a rough bunch of shots. Agree it's noticeable though, just throwing up a defence for the editor (especially when the editor wouldn't have had final approval).

mave

Coach
It's pretty clear the NRL are trying to paint the game in a positive social light after the 2 horrendous off seasons.

But then allow an bloke who allegedly punched on with police to play, when they could have easily stood him down?

Seems completely at odds with your theory.

Fangs

Coach
There *are* highlights from Indigenous players throughout it though?

That is correct, why bother with the rest? Its an inclusive ad without it.

Try this. Put the faces of the female faces first and foremost in the ad. They are the least recognised of all NRL players and still very new to the public eye. Have a section with just indigenous highlights. Show a young Latrell Mitchell watching Cliff Lyons carve up, fast forward to present day. You will never stop complaints but in my view that is a better way to promote the game.

Again, if these moments are really about growing the game and trying something new then lets look at the numbers at seasons end.