What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

beave

Coach
Send the whole comp to Rocky, Mackay and Townsville. All 3 have grounds that can host NRL games, they’re in warmer climates and they have hotels that can accomodate 6 or so sides for a few weeks. They’re also within bus distance to one another so you can avoid public air travel if needed.

Cairns is a tricky one as there is a lot of asian tourists that frequent the city, if they’re happy with that risk (if it’s even considered a risk?) then throw cairns in the mix over Rocky if they’re not happy with the field the Capras play on.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
The problem with the way V'Landys communicates is that he has just fed the ultimate 'death of Rugby League' narrative.

The media don't need games when they can just write these stories for a year.

I've noticed a couple facebook events along the lines of "storm the mcg round 1 - they can't stop us all" popping up for the AFL, wonder if anyone will actually try and the security risks that will entail
Well they are a special breed. On the flip side the NRL is already out rated the afl for 2020 crowds.

Grapple

Bench
I just want to take this opportunity to say i'm thinking of all the men and women and husbands and wives out there during this unknown time. If the season is cancelled, God forbid, those same couples will have to eventually talk to each other more than usual..... As a single guy i can't imagine the potential stress you face.

Chin up, let's get through this and come out the other side.

Jackie Treehorn

Juniors
Strongly disagree.

If you're worried about public perception - then check social media. What he said seems to have garnered very strong support amongst the community. People on Facebook across various pages are actually supporting the decision to play on, and are also quoting the financial implications if the season gets cancelled.

Won't achieve anything? Vlandys has achieved exactly step number one - public support to continue in the meantime.

Well ok then it must be true if it’s on facebook

blue bags

First Grade
Had to laugh, one of the local cinemas had the wildcats finals game on last night encouraging fans to come along, kind of defeats the purpose of locking fans out of the arena lol
same as crowd lockouts, then teams getting on a packed plane

Perth Red

Post Whore
The problem with the way V'Landys communicates is that he has just fed the ultimate 'death of Rugby League' narrative.

The media don't need games when they can just write these stories for a year.

“catastrophic” “death of RL” “worse scenario the game has ever faced”, he likes to talk it up doesn’t he? Making a pitch for govt money at this time when hospitals, aged care and other small businesses could be in much greater need seems a bit churlish. He is clearly not a considered speaker in media situations.

TheFrog

Coach
“catastrophic” “death of RL” “worse scenario the game has ever faced”, he likes to talk it up doesn’t he? Making a pitch for govt money at this time when hospitals, aged care and other small businesses could be in much greater need seems a bit churlish. He is clearly not a considered speaker in media situations.
He got a decent whack out of them in the equine flu saga, why wouldn't he try again? And the Government has already made a call that impacts on the sport's viability, and that of other big sports as well.

The thing I notice the most was who the true boss of the NRL is these days. Todd's just there to tie his shoe laces.

Pommy

Coach

As he said the government have already announced an economic stimulus package he wouldn’t be doing his job if he didn’t try and make a case for getting some of it. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.

unforgiven

Bench
Roosters fans asking for money back from a $150 membership are out of touch with reality and should pull their f**king heads in. Once the dust settles on this bullishit I am sure the chooks will repay them with a free game or some sort of football related compo.

The selfishness of the general population and their behaviour throughout all this saga is so f**king disappointing but deep down I’m honestly not surprised.
What crap mate, of course people are asking for compensation. They have bills and uncertainty about their future too. On Friday I lost access to 3 music festivals, a couple of concerts and at least one round of football. That is thousands of $ mate. I am now also uncertain about the prospects of my business, why shouldn't I expect a return for services that organisations are now unable to provide?

TheFrog

Coach
Send the whole comp to Rocky, Mackay and Townsville. All 3 have grounds that can host NRL games, they’re in warmer climates and they have hotels that can accomodate 6 or so sides for a few weeks. They’re also within bus distance to one another so you can avoid public air travel if needed.

Cairns is a tricky one as there is a lot of asian tourists that frequent the city, if they’re happy with that risk (if it’s even considered a risk?) then throw cairns in the mix over Rocky if they’re not happy with the field the Capras play on.
Darwin seems most likely.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Darwin seems most likely.

ideally you’d want somewhere with lowest incidence rates, lots of accomodation and decent numerous training facilities. If you could have two sites with eight clubs at each site reasonably close to each other that might work for next 2-3 weeks till the panic subsides. Quarantine the players away from anyone other than in the club.

Canard

Immortal
What crap mate, of course people are asking for compensation. They have bills and uncertainty about their future too. On Friday I lost access to 3 music festivals, a couple of concerts and at least one round of football. That is thousands of $ mate. I am now also uncertain about the prospects of my business, why shouldn't I expect a return for services that organisations are now unable to provide?

Yep, normally @beave is on the money, but you can't begrudge people who are concerned about their future, asking for refunds.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Well ok then it must be true if it’s on facebook

Useless comment.

I'm not claiming to have facts which turn out to be from Facebook. Im suggesting social media is a good way to test whether the press conference passed the pub test which you implied it would not have, being on a "sunday morning" show. As far as i can see, the conference did achieve something.

Again you claimed it would achieve nothing / next to nothing. Yet as i watch said Sunday sports show you now have commentators defending the decision to continue due to the financial risks of not continuing. Achieved nothing eh?

Latest posts