What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Someguy

First Grade
So if Australia and NZ are both loxking down travel will the Warriors jump back to NZ before the ban comes in? Otherwise they might be stuck here for months.

non AUS resident NZ players will not be entering AUS. NZ will just have to play hardball and keep all their home games, have enough players in NZ to field a team and take the points from forfeits

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
non AUS resident NZ players will not be entering AUS. NZ will just have to play hardball and keep all their home games, have enough players in NZ to field a team and take the points from forfeits

the team are already here, it doesn’t affect them. They’ve also already pretty much committed to getting reinforcements from the Qld Cup, not NZ. And if the team is based on the GC for the season and games are being played in Aus the players would be considered resident anyway.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So if Australia and NZ are both loxking down travel will the Warriors jump back to NZ before the ban comes in? Otherwise they might be stuck here for months.
They’re all NZ citizens or residents so they can go home whenever. They won’t be able to come back though so they’ll likely stay banned here.

Maximus

Coach
What was wrong with what he said? Sure he doesn’t like Mensa, but he has a point in where the NRL should have back up funds incase stuff like this happens. He is pretty much just reiterating what most people have said in this thread

Partners in the game, but only the good times right?

Why is it up to the nrl to be prepared for him? If he's dumb enough to be earning massive money in a career where it could all be over in an instant, and he hasn't put anything aside to survive on, that's not the nrl's problem.

Maybe he might learn a lesson about not being well-prepared

Valheru

Coach
Don’t get me wrong I completely agree, as someone who’s employment is currently in jeopardy because of this. I just don’t know why nrl players are immune to the public about this sort of

You're right, they aren't immune.

Some perspective would do them good though. Publically declaring that they won't cop a pay cut is not going to win them the PR battle when people like yourself are at risk of unemployment.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
NZ passport holders become residents if they have an ATO/TFN number when they land

cheers I figured that was the case but wasn’t 100% sure. So basically any kiwi who works here would be a resident. That would exclude the warriors players though unless they’d previously worked here.

TheFrog

Coach
Partners in the game, but only the good times right?

Why is it up to the nrl to be prepared for him? If he's dumb enough to be earning massive money in a career where it could all be over in an instant, and he hasn't put anything aside to survive on, that's not the nrl's problem.

Maybe he might learn a lesson about not being well-prepared
Also that it pays to read your contract.

Diesel

Referee
cheers I figured that was the case but wasn’t 100% sure. So basically any kiwi who works here would be a resident. That would exclude the warriors players though unless they’d previously worked here.
That’s pretty much it. For me, my visa is my passport. I have a TFN so I’m a resident of Australia and a citizen of NZ

You're right, they aren't immune.

Some perspective would do them good though. Publically declaring that they won't cop a pay cut is not going to win them the PR battle when people like yourself are at risk of unemployment.

After what I saw tonight the retail sector is going to be seeing massive layoffs soon. Went into my local Myer's tonight, was hardly anyone in there. I was buying a birthday present for my sister. The sale clerk told that her store had already laid off all the casuals but she said it had been dead all day. I at at the popular local cafe in the mall, which is normally heavingly full on a Thursday night - I was one of about 8 diners.

Its all well and good for people to call for a total lock down, but if it happens even for 2 weeks, many stores won't re-open after it as based on people's behaviour to date, they will still be panicking/scared about it so they won';t go out and buy anything. That is what will lead to a depression and massive unemployment. Then you won't have money for the rent or mortage, electricity, food. That's why calling for a complete lock down of the populace is sure fire trouble.

franklin2323

Immortal
After what I saw tonight the retail sector is going to be seeing massive layoffs soon. Went into my local Myer's tonight, was hardly anyone in there. I was buying a birthday present for my sister. The sale clerk told that her store had already laid off all the casuals but she said it had been dead all day. I at at the popular local cafe in the mall, which is normally heavingly full on a Thursday night - I was one of about 8 diners.

Its all well and good for people to call for a total lock down, but if it happens even for 2 weeks, many stores won't re-open after it as based on people's behaviour to date, they will still be panicking/scared about it so they won';t go out and buy anything. That is what will lead to a depression and massive unemployment. Then you won't have money for the rent or mortage, electricity, food. That's why calling for a complete lock down of the populace is sure fire trouble.

Look at that without a lockout. Atleast a lockout can plan towards a date and may get those staying a way back out.

That story though is similar to what I have seen the last 2 weeks

Perth Red

Post Whore
Every country where numbers have continued to grow have headed to lock downs and school,closures. It’s a matter of when not if in all likelihood. If doing it sooner rather than later would be beneficial is the question we need answering.

King hit

Coach
Every country where numbers have continued to grow have headed to lock downs and school,closures. It’s a matter of when not if in all likelihood. If doing it sooner rather than later would be beneficial is the question we need answering.
Would kids lose a whole year of school if that happens and have to repeat whatever year they are in?. It’s been in my head when it comes to that issue.

jim_57

Staff member

It needs to be carefully managed, mass lockdowns can only be sustainable for so long. Regarding retail & local restaurants hopefully they can encourage online shopping and takeaway/delivery to at least have some chance of breaking even or surviving.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would kids lose a whole year of school if that happens and have to repeat whatever year they are in?. It’s been in my head when it comes to that issue.

in uk schools close tomorrow and they saying might not open till September (their summer hols start end of July-Sept) . No idea what that means for kids taking end of school exams.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It needs to be carefully managed, mass lockdowns can only be sustainable for so long. Regarding retail & local restaurants hopefully they can encourage online shopping and takeaway/delivery to at least have some chance of breaking even or surviving.

my local has just started take aways. Some financial support to keep them going is a must and then some big stimulation funding when the doors reopen is going to be essential. Restaurant vouchers for every household!