What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scomo saving me

Quicksilver

Bench
He's helping all the time, if you bother to check announcements since day 1.

So he's gleefully letting people suffer? You need to research all the decisions made, with peoples' health and financial issues in mind.You don't have to be a Morrison lover to understand it.

I'm glad this crisis has changed him.

We can all improve.

taipan

Referee
You are still evading the point and shifting the blame, and now you appear to be upset because I obviously didn't explain the purpose of my rhetorical questions well enough.

The point is that our governments clearly have research and modelling that is guiding their policy making and they are not sharing it.

Since you are confident in the actions of our medical officers, and you were upset at the notion that ScoMo flipped a coin to make his decisions, you seem to agree that they have some scientific reason for their actions.

I agree with you that it won't be perfect, but no matter how often you repeat or capitalise "unknown" and "unprecedented", you are defending the governments actions because you think they have a solid, rational, scientific reason for the things they are doing. Which is great, I agree with you.

In fact, I've heard that they have now decided to share some of their modelling, so it looks like we were both right, they do have some! (and I was additionally correct, that they are not up to now sharing it).

And you are upset by my meme comment. You go on to say you didn't get your information from a meme, you got it from "every medical expert" and from the ABC. That was the point of those questions, to show where you are not getting your information. I don't care if it was a meme, the ABC, the internet. Where you are not getting your information is the government.

So you are agreeing with me, albeit tacitly.

The rest of your post is trying to justify why they aren't sharing it. You can't actually point me to any instances where they have done those things, so instead you are shifting the burden of proof to me. It is not my job to find models that work, or explain why governments are doing what they are doing, or to be a medical expert, or to write to Labor to complain.

Finally, you see my "hatred of Morrison" shining through. I guess the many journalists and scientists calling for more transparency from the governments on this must also have a shining hatred of Morrison.

I included all governments in Australia in that accusation that they weren't sharing their information, and that includes the state Labor governments.

I need to speak to individual state Labor premiers?
If I want to bag someone bag someone bag Qld Labor for the local elections? (that was a terrible decision from the Labor government in Queensland)
Perhaps I can exhaust my energy writing to my local Labor MP or indeed Albo?

It does seem that one of us is making it about Labor vs Coalition, but it sure as heck isn't me.

Your idea of evasion is different to mine.The modelling you comment on is of course being discussed regularly by the medicos and the Govt, and the assistant chief medico Paul Kelly has stated it will be eventually announced.Day to day calculations are on the website. according to KellyThus it is not a Govt only decision that it hasn't been publicised yet.Morrison is neither a fireman or medico.

I didn't say you were incorrect with them not sharing it, my point was and is what will the modelling tell the average Joe when he knows there will be a peak.
Anzac day thereabout is D Day apparently, but guess what ,we have 8 or so cruise ships off Australia and untold numbers of crew with symptoms, which could have a dramatic effect on numbers and peaks.

Governments make decisions (they consider)in the best interest of the populace at times, without going into full details as to how they arrived at it, to avoid wholesale panic.
I think you are patting yourself on the back ,when you suggest I agree with you tacitly.

The Government mate, is working with the medical experts, three of them (the top ones )appearing at various times with Ministers at media announcements.They are advising the Govt and not as you wish to make out it is the Govt doing it off its own bat.
If the medicos had stated we recommend now to show the modelling to the public, you think the Govt would say "hell no." we'll do it our way.Else why have medicos involved?

OK where are you getting your information that is different to mine, other than the media?

With a situation like we have with corona virus and the fragility and natural fear of people with this terrible
virus, setting a panic is the last thing one wants.

And I've included all Govts in this country, as they as part of the National Cabinet ,as to the decisions they have made, thus I've been inclusive of Liberal and Labor on the matter.Not all the decisions have been brilliant.eg Ruby Princess

When I hear the likes of Keneally etc and some of the Labor shadow ministers taking pot shots at the decisions made, expect the Labor v Lib argument to come to the fore.I don't have an issue with questioning,I do with nit picking.
An MP is there to represent the interests of his electorate,If you are unhappy with decisions being made by Govt,(even though it not be his party in power). I've done so, that's why I mentioned doing so.

And guess what there are numbers of journos, medicos and scientists who have backed the Govts /medicos decision making as a whole.That's not to say, at times the decisions has been a confusing one or out of kilter and had to be rectified .I've seen them all, pro and anti the Govt decisions.
Even that journo Peter Van Olselen(spelling) has changed his views on Morrison.
TBH Morrison looks as if he's aged a few years and looks well and truly stuffed.

We were just about the first country to stop non resident Chinese coming here (circa Feb) due to the threat of spreading the virus.Hence thousands of Uni students were prevented from entering the country. Calling it a pandemic, before that hopeless WHO mob decided it was.
Were there things that could have been done better? No doubt.

I'm glad this crisis has changed him.

We can all improve.

Maybe, Maybe not ... Some in here seem to be the finished product , having been around the block, had holidays everywhere and seen it all.Nothing more to learn..No need for further discussion ,and nothing of interest on the ABC.Nothing to learn from likes of you or I... Just here to spread their own "wisdom."(for want of a better polite word)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" quote from Myth Busters.

Quicksilver

Bench
So you knew him personally before? And instructed him on compassion and civility?
Give yourself a Nobel Prize for comedy in times of crisis.

I've watched his political career. That's what has an effect on my life and the well-being of my community. I've listened to his rhetoric and slogans. I've seen elements of his policy platform that I disagree with.

I don't need to know whether he spends his personal time giving treats to stray dogs in the park. He may well do that.

I'm glad that he is showing political compassion now, something that has been lacking in the past.

I still don't know how we're going to pay for this debt and deficit disaster though. All this stuff wasn't possible a month ago with way higher revenue streams.

wibble

Bench
Your idea of evasion is different to mine.The modelling you comment on is of course being discussed regularly by the medicos and the Govt, and the assistant chief medico Paul Kelly has stated it will be eventually announced.Day to day calculations are on the website. according to KellyThus it is not a Govt only decision that it hasn't been publicised yet.Morrison is neither a fireman or medico.

I didn't say you were incorrect with them not sharing it, my point was and is what will the modelling tell the average Joe when he knows there will be a peak.
Anzac day thereabout is D Day apparently, but guess what ,we have 8 or so cruise ships off Australia and untold numbers of crew with symptoms, which could have a dramatic effect on numbers and peaks.

Governments make decisions (they consider)in the best interest of the populace at times, without going into full details as to how they arrived at it, to avoid wholesale panic.
I think you are patting yourself on the back ,when you suggest I agree with you tacitly.

The Government mate, is working with the medical experts, three of them (the top ones )appearing at various times with Ministers at media announcements.They are advising the Govt and not as you wish to make out it is the Govt doing it off its own bat.
If the medicos had stated we recommend now to show the modelling to the public, you think the Govt would say "hell no." we'll do it our way.Else why have medicos involved?

OK where are you getting your information that is different to mine, other than the media?

With a situation like we have with corona virus and the fragility and natural fear of people with this terrible
virus, setting a panic is the last thing one wants.

And I've included all Govts in this country, as they as part of the National Cabinet ,as to the decisions they have made, thus I've been inclusive of Liberal and Labor on the matter.Not all the decisions have been brilliant.eg Ruby Princess

When I hear the likes of Keneally etc and some of the Labor shadow ministers taking pot shots at the decisions made, expect the Labor v Lib argument to come to the fore.I don't have an issue with questioning,I do with nit picking.
An MP is there to represent the interests of his electorate,If you are unhappy with decisions being made by Govt,(even though it not be his party in power). I've done so, that's why I mentioned doing so.

And guess what there are numbers of journos, medicos and scientists who have backed the Govts /medicos decision making as a whole.That's not to say, at times the decisions has been a confusing one or out of kilter and had to be rectified .I've seen them all, pro and anti the Govt decisions.
Even that journo Peter Van Olselen(spelling) has changed his views on Morrison.
TBH Morrison looks as if he's aged a few years and looks well and truly stuffed.

We were just about the first country to stop non resident Chinese coming here (circa Feb) due to the threat of spreading the virus.Hence thousands of Uni students were prevented from entering the country. Calling it a pandemic, before that hopeless WHO mob decided it was.
Were there things that could have been done better? No doubt.

Now you're shifting the goal posts.

The average joe wouldn't understand all that extra information, and telling us what is really happening would cause panic, and medicos are now responsible for the government's communication policy.

You are justifying why democratically elected governments, in the most important decision making processes they may ever have to make, with consequences for the people who elect them as large as any they may face, don't have to be transparent in their decision making.

At least you are still agreeing with me that they are not communicating very well, which is the point I was making all along (I can't really say if they are decision making very well since I don't known the basis of their decision making. I suspect from what I can glean that they are doing some things well (take over the private hospitals, isolate borders), and others not so well (hold local elections, deal with cruise ships)).

Where am I getting my information that is different to yours, other than the media? I'm not, that is the point.

People have backed their decision making as a whole (every government has people who back them and people who don't regardless of their transparency). That's great, now let (nearly) everyone back their decision making by them telling us how they arrived at their decisions. That is what we do in a democracy.

Eion

First Grade
Must be easy to steer a country through an unprecedented world wide pandemic with no previous experience.
Just ask every f**kwit commenting on social media.
They’d do a better job for sure.
Apparently you've just got to give a range of deaths from, say, 2,000 - 400,000 and you're a brilliant communicator

A ventilator isn't a vaccine so he's not being inconsistent.
Hes being very consistant in being stupid since he wouldnt need it if he was vaccinated . His decision
Must be easy to steer a country through an unprecedented world wide pandemic with no previous experience.
Just ask every f**kwit commenting on social media.
They’d do a better job for sure.

You comment so obviously you think some comments are ok . I guess comments can be
1 Supportive
2 Disagreeing /attacking
3 Questioning.
Correct me if Im wrong -you think only #1 is appropriate . I think most dictators would agree.

f**k me

That friend I spoke of earlier, says some of you are losing your shit and need to get a grip.

FWIW, I personally don’t give a shit about political opinions, as I’m old and heard more government bashing bullshit from my brother, than any of you could possibly bring up.

carry on