What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT - In these weird times

Juju

Juniors
I mean the amazing thing was, he was absolutely right. He was saying what I was hearing from no one else anywhere. Look back at his posts - he predicted all the sporting competitions would stop, the Olympics would be canned, etc. I remember thinking he'd truly lost his f**king marbles. There was zero chance that was going to happen. But it did. I've never seen a prediction so wild in its nature that came true. And so clearly based on clear fact and knowledge.

And somehow, with that incredible insight that he had, he still f**ked it up and made himself look stupid. I'd be very interested to hear where he got that sort of knowledge. But I guess we'll never know.
It's a bit alarming somebody with access to that sort of information would post so hysterically - funny old world.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It's a bit alarming somebody with access to that sort of information would post so hysterically - funny old world.

The last few weeks have definitely opened my eyes to the fallibility of human beings. And that's as kindly as I can put it. To put it another way, it'd never been apparently how f**king stupid we can be as a species. For so many reasons.

sup42

Juniors
I kept reading about Iron Lion in this thread but couldn't see anything from him.

I just found his thread. I think I only got to about page five.

I think I can see why he was panicking, (with the benefit of hindsight). I agree he got to a worse case scenario.

This will happen if you base your projections off what is happening in places like China and Italy, for two different reasons. Italy was alarming. China's smoke screens always add a sinister element. Those two places combined make a decent fear sandwich if you make the mistake of assuming what happens elsewhere will definitely happen here.

The thing is, it is a risk to us ongoing, but it won't happen here.

This Virus is only as bad as Governments allow it to be by denial, cover up, or respond too late.

Our country has a lot of experience at responding to biological threats and either eliminating them, or containing them. We are at the cutting edge. We have a long view of what happens if you make mistakes.

The US is a worry, however even they have the model to pull back and may well just need to be pushed closer to the flames till they get what is really going on.

America truly is the example to the rest of us about what bad management of a pandemic looks like. Their supply chain issues are big cracks in the system, however you can't stress enough that the fix...proper social distancing, is still in their arsenal, they can still pull this thing back.

Some states get it in the US, so I'm confident they will get through. Eighty five percent of Americans don't want to come out of lock down....that's enough.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
What has the level change meant for everyone the last week or so ?

For me I’m back at work full time and we are getting absolutely hammered at the moment fulfilling all the urgent work, what comes in behind that work will be the key for us. Wife alternating between home and office so have had my little one back at daycare which has been a good thing for him seeing some different faces

shiznit

Coach
Not much has changed for us at Lvl 3... my partner is on maternity leave for the next year so we had already planned on going down to one income for awhile anyway...

I worked from home right through the lockdown and continue to do so.

All the kids are just working through school on their laptops.

Our bubble has pretty much stayed intact.

TBH... with the work I do(working for work and income) I’m very grateful to be able to continue to work from home as things are really tough out there for a lot of people and will only get tougher once the 12 weeks are up on the wage subsidies and businesses have to assess whether they can stay afloat going forward.

I’ll tell you what though... I haven’t been tempted in the slightest to have takeaway’s... although I reckon I’ve probably put on 15kgs from all the cooked lunches I’ve been having... :joy::joy:

Having things like fresh fried bread for lunch is both awesome and ludicrous at the same time... :joy::joy:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I've probably copped more disruption on this side of the ditch TBH. My income has taken a big hit, I've had my hours and salary cut by 20% plus lost pretty much all my weekend work, probably going to be more like a 30-35% hit to my income for the short to medium term. I haven't worked more than three days in a week since the whole thing kicked off seriously.

sup42

Juniors
I have been fielding more questions than at level four from anxious family and wot not, mainly around whether return to work is safe etc.

Otherwise things are much the same, although I have made a point of doing some fishing in the local river from the bank to relax and get outside.

Definitely more birds around the place, and I see in the papers that there are whales and dolphins making appearances around the country, I feel sorry for the wildlife who will have no idea that the humans and their noisy boats will return.

Really makes me think about how great our planet could be if we managed the natural world with some basic care.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I have been fielding more questions than at level four from anxious family and wot not, mainly around whether return to work is safe etc.

Otherwise things are much the same, although I have made a point of doing some fishing in the local river from the bank to relax and get outside.

Definitely more birds around the place, and I see in the papers that there are whales and dolphins making appearances around the country, I feel sorry for the wildlife who will have no idea that the humans and their noisy boats will return.

Really makes me think about how great our planet could be if we managed the natural world with some basic care.

Would be great, but unfortunately I've had it further confirmed for me during this time that humanity is indelibly broken. Whilst there's been kindness, there's been far more selfishness, in-fighting and so on.

Matua

Bench
I've probably copped more disruption on this side of the ditch TBH. My income has taken a big hit, I've had my hours and salary cut by 20% plus lost pretty much all my weekend work, probably going to be more like a 30-35% hit to my income for the short to medium term. I haven't worked more than three days in a week since the whole thing kicked off seriously.
I'm lucky that much of my sector (higher education) that hasn't really been affected yet. We've been able to move to online learning and our income (fees) are either front ended or on govt payment schedules. All our campuses are closed to students but some are open to staff if they want to go in (most staff in Adelaide go in) or we can WFH. I've been WFH a week and half before the "lockdown" started as I was sick during that time. We're in semester 1 and we wont open the schools to students until semester 3 regardless of the lifting of restrictions at this stage. We have a lot of mature students.

We have a sister company that is a VET school and they're in worse shape as they rely on new students constantly throughout the year and have a higher percentage of internationals. Most staff are down to 4 days per week and a few have been made redundant. The JobKeeper scheme has actually been a big help to them.

I think I'm very lucky to have the job I have. Although, one of my mates who lost his job back in the week before lockdown has noticed that jobs in his sector (IT) are starting to be posted again, now that it appears Oz has avoided a UK/Italy like scenario.

LeagueNut

First Grade
I was doing one of those Colmar Brunton surveys the other day and it asked me about which companies have met or not met my expectations during the Covid lockdown. It really got me thinking about which businesses are going to get my money now that things are opening up again.

Companies that have jumped straight to widespread job losses because (heaven forbid) "shareholders might be affected" will not be getting my support. I don't think it's right to make hay while the sun shines and then use that hay to cushion your precious shareholders at the expense of your rank-and-file workers. Air New Zealand and Sky City are two that spring to mind but there are bound to be others.

I do like the whole "buy and support local" thing but it'll be interesting times ahead as we move into Level 2. I worry about businesses that are in a mad rush to reopen and get some income flowing through, I think too many people have been affected by the economic downturn / job losses / etc that there simply won't be the same level of disposable income any more. Opening your doors to nobody will be just as bad as keeping them closed, if not worse.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'd like to think I'd avoid 'Made in China' where possible. Whilst I don't believe the conspiracy theories, at the very least China were negligible in terms of their denial that anything was happening, then have told a bunch of lies about the impact in their country as well.

I'm pissed off at the government for the way they've treated pubs and bars as if they're lepers and we've all been de-limbed at their doing. The South Korea example they used, for a start. fake news. The recklessness of one person caused that, not bars.

Then Ardern pins the Bluff wedding and the stag do to bars. They're not bars. They are gatherings.

I truly don't know why this government wants to demonize bars. It's where a lot of their dole-bludging constituency lurks. And on a more serious note, if those bars (who don't serve food) can open with the same regulations as any other in hospitality, then let them have it. This government has cost these people tens of thousands of dollars in theory by opening a week later for no reason at all.

What is the difference between opening on Thursday or the following Thursday? Answer: nothing. Zero.

Meth

Staff member
This new Public Health Response Bill is pretty dodgy at first glance. If it's policed, it's major government over reach

Meth

Staff member
For the uneducated amongst us, what's the dodginess about it?

The main objection is that it appears to give the police the power to enter your home without a warrant to check if you are physical distancing and it will be in place for 2 years.