What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Barrett - Attacking Coach.

betcats

Referee
Also I wasn't saying it out of a sense of freaking out more why would they pick Barret over someone like Griffin who has a 50%+ win record and coached in a rebuild before.

Hook didnt want to work with anyone, he wouldnt even use his own assistant, Ciraldo wanted out because of it. I doubt that is very attractive to any clubs decision makers. Imagine how Hook would've reacted if his club brought in a former head coach to help with the attack? He literally took the playing group away for that Brisbane road game and didnt bring the staff.

Winning percentages are nice for sure but if you cant have good working relationships with people around you its a problem. If it was just about winning percentages Hook would've been hired again by now by the first club with a vacancy, but its not. His coaching career is littered with people he had problems with. And to top it all off he made false claims on fox sports after he left, that definitely isnt attractive to club bosses.

Edit: I'll take this further, our GM Matt Cameron is the guy who actually rebuilt our junior pathways(the work Hook took credit for in that interview) what kind of reference do you think he would give for Hook? Not a good one. Meanwhile Barrett has slotted into the staff here at Penrith and played some part in turning us around from last years shit show into a competitive team, ive got no doubt he gets a good reference from anyone here at Penrith.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Yeah probably. Just been reported Barrett is the favourite but media will media and Betcats makes a good point.

His winning percentage means he will get a look in at any club looking for a new coach and he will get a role eventually it might even be the dogs job. But any club looking to hire him is going to look at a lot more than just his winning percentage.

betcats

Referee
Talking too him doesn't give him the job though. What is the bet he shares a manager with Buzz or something

I am not saying Barrett will definitely get the job or that the dogs arent talking to anyone else. But why hasnt a coach whose winning percentage is only topped by Bennett and Bellamy(i think that is the case) not been hired again? Its for the reasons ive mentioned IMO.

Hooked

Juniors
Maybe the Dogs are after an insider to our nursery. I mean they have already been linked to Crichton and Burton.
I don't see why Barrett should be top of their list.

mxlegend99

Referee
I dont understand why Geoff Toovey hasnt been getting offers. He should be one of the first coaches teams look at.

Hook has an impressive record on paper but any club that saw how things played out for him at 2 clubs with a lot of resources dedicated to success would be cautious about what he could do with at that is a mess off the field. I think he would be a spectacular failure at a team with poor reserve graders and a terribly managed top squad.

That said most coaches would struggle in that situation. With a dud roster and no real chance to improve it there's very little most coaches can do.

We got out of our mess because of Gus and the influence he has. The respect people have for him and faith they put into him. Raiders kind of got out by some great signings from England.

Most teams suffer for years with only overpaying players being an option to get big names but struggle with the consequences that brings. Knights and Eels spent years at the bottom to claw their way up. Tigers. Bulldogs. Titans. Etc. All look impatient at fixing things and destined to linger at the bottom for longer.

betcats

Referee
I dont understand why Geoff Toovey hasnt been getting offers. He should be one of the first coaches teams look at.

Hook has an impressive record on paper but any club that saw how things played out for him at 2 clubs with a lot of resources dedicated to success would be cautious about what he could do with at that is a mess off the field. I think he would be a spectacular failure at a team with poor reserve graders and a terribly managed top squad.

That said most coaches would struggle in that situation. With a dud roster and no real chance to improve it there's very little most coaches can do.

We got out of our mess because of Gus and the influence he has. The respect people have for him and faith they put into him. Raiders kind of got out by some great signings from England.

Most teams suffer for years with only overpaying players being an option to get big names but struggle with the consequences that brings. Knights and Eels spent years at the bottom to claw their way up. Tigers. Bulldogs. Titans. Etc. All look impatient at fixing things and destined to linger at the bottom for longer.

Agree re Toovey. His results at Manly were pretty good. Better than Barretts if my memory serves.

kinghippo

Juniors
The dogs are an absolute train wreck at the moment, I can’t understand why Barrett, who left Manly due to a lack of organisation structure would take it on.

They basically have no roster, lots of noise about internal unrest and bad political situations, no major sponsors and will be sitting at the bottom of the comp for a least a couple of seasons until they rebuild.

Barrett will end up like Brennan, he seemed to have all the skill in the world but some situations are not getting easily fixed.

The next Canterbury coach will be be a scapegoat within 2 years, probably the one after that 2 years later.

murraymob

Coach
If Barrett has signed how can he be let stay at the club.He will be poaching these kids for sure

Latest posts