What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The one player New Zealand Warriors CEO Cameron George would recruit if he could

Rich102

Staff member
They're currently in the mix for Sonny Bill Williams' signature, as well as several loan signings, but it's a current NRL standout who Warriors CEO Cameron George has revealed as his dream signing for the New Zealand franchise.

When asked if he could go out and sign one player from any other team, Warriors chief executive Cameron George didn't need to think before singling out Parramatta Eels halfback Mitchell Moses.

"I love his energy, I love his aggression, I love his appetite to win," George said. "He kicks goals and when he loses, he loses it; when he wins he's the most passionate about it."

Moses joined the Eels midway through the 2017 season after failing to meet expectations in 67 games with Wests Tigers. While it took a season or so for Moses to find his footing with Parramatta, since the side moved on from Corey Norman at five-eighth and paired Moses with Kiwi youngster Dylan Brown, the seniority has let Moses blossom.

"I just love the manner in which he goes about his business and I reckon he's been a huge factor from wooden spooners to where they're at now," George said.

George also shot down suggestions that the NRL were looking into the possibility of the Warriors having nothing but home games in 2021, noting it would be a hard sell to other teams.

"I don't know where that's come from," George said.

"That would mean every club would have to give up a home game and that's not going to happen, and rightly so. We're not after any charity next year. It's onwards and upwards. We're a footy club, we're in the NRL, we want to beat everyone and we're doing what we're doing this year because we want to.

"For our fans, if we can get some additional value over here, that would be great. But we're not trying to push for it or anything like that."

With the world rocked by the Covid-19 pandemic this year, it is hard to plan too far ahead given how quickly things can change. In New South Wales and Victoria, cases have spiked recently, adding more doubt to establishing a transtasman bubble any time soon.

Should things trend in a similar direction over the coming months, there's a possibility the Warriors could again find themselves based in Australia in 2021.

While not an ideal scenario, George said it was one the club was currently discussing with the NRL.

"The difficult thing for all of us is you just don't know. We are working on what it would look like of the borders aren't open, and what that would mean for the NRL. Trust me, they're looking at it very closely.

"So, I haven't got an answer for you but we are aware that could be a possibility. We're not going anywhere near players, staff or anyone about that."

Warriors chairman and co-owner Rob Croot added: "It's moving so fast as well. It's only a couple of weeks ago that we were talking about the potential of playing the back end of the season at Mt Smart. Then we have border issues here in New Zealand, Victoria and New South Wales are heading in the wrong direction and the world that you're playing in completely changes.

"We're certainly mindful of it and as far as we can we're planning for it, but we've got a fair bit on the plate just to get through the rest of the rounds to prepare. We're very much week by week at the moment."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=12350531

Diesel

Referee
I wished George didn’t speak to the media if he’s got nothing to announce.

JJ

Immortal
I just wish he wouldn't speak to the media...

But IMO a worry, if Mitchell Moses is the wet dream signing... It's not a golden age of halves, there's a few I'd take ahead of him - there's even a few out there that have won premierships... Moses rivals Johnson for promise and lack of delivery so far

Penrose_11

Juniors
They’ve already said he wants to flush Issac Moses managed players out of club yet he wishes he could contract his nephew. Thinking old Cameron is a few sandwiches short of a picnic

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
f**k off Cameron George you dribbler. Great message to send to Nikorima and CHT. The CEO would love to sign someone to replace you. Massive vote of confidence. f**king idiot.

And he's gone from saying this last week:

George told Stuff that he hadn’t spoken to the NRL about this proposal, but obviously liked the sound of it.

“It would be interesting to see the NRL and other clubs welcoming us having more home games,” George said.“I haven’t had any discussions with the NRL about that, but if that was a possibility, I’d be driving as hard as I can to make sure we get a look at that.”

TO

"That would mean every club would have to give up a home game and that's not going to happen, and rightly so. We're not after any charity next year. It's onwards and upwards. We're a footy club, we're in the NRL, we want to beat everyone and we're doing what we're doing this year because we want to.

"For our fans, if we can get some additional value over here, that would be great. But we're not trying to push for it or anything like that."

Gone from 'I'd be driving as hard as I could' to 'we're not after charity' and 'we're not trying to push for it'

Honestly. Just shut the f**k up.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Reminder of other dumb shit that's come out of his mouth:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...-ass-when-nrl-returns-says-ceo-cameron-george

“I signed off on an email to Peter V'landys the other day said this will be the greatest story in rugby league when we come to Australia and kick your ass,” George told Newstalk ZB.

"I feel like this has galvanised the mind set of a lot of people in our club. It's different and maybe that’s what we need.

“For 25 years the normal approach hasn't been great success for us.

"I was saying to Steve Kearney, and our playing group, take this opportunity, seize it, and do something no one thinks we can do. Let's go with the best attitude.

"I've got to give credit to our players. Their mindset through all of this has been all about our club, fans and getting a result.”

Go and sell used cars somewhere, ideally a long way away.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
It really is unfathomable that Moses is the 1 guy he would pick, nothing against Moses at all, good player but f**k me, he hasn’t achieved a thing in the game.
Ask 15 other CEOs the same question and he wouldn’t even rate a mention

Cleary would be the standout half option

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
It really is unfathomable that Moses is the 1 guy he would pick, nothing against Moses at all, good player but f**k me, he hasn’t achieved a thing in the game.
Ask 15 other CEOs the same question and he wouldn’t even rate a mention

Cleary would be the standout half option

I found this gem:

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...-moses-speculation/188wfxqz15bel1pmxblzbev18l

The much-maligned Parramatta playmaker (Moses) was linked with the Warriors on Monday as part of a possible swap deal with (Shaun) Johnson after it became clear the latter wanted out of his contract.

But (Cameron) George told News Limited journalist Paul Crawley on Wednesday Moses is not a prime target as the Warriors weigh up their recruitment options.

“In terms of Mitchell Moses it is not a push from our end,” George, who added the Warriors phones are running hot with players wanting to join the club, told The Daily Telegraph.

:D More comedy gold from George. Our phones were running hot.

WellsNZ

Juniors
How good would it have been if we had snared Brown though. Really coming into his own now.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
But isn’t the issue that we know Brown or anyone else probably wouldn’t have progressed at all with us? Sure, he’s flying at the Eels. But what would he be doing if he’d signed with us

Big Marn

Juniors
But isn’t the issue that we know Brown or anyone else probably wouldn’t have progressed at all with us? Sure, he’s flying at the Eels. But what would he be doing if he’d signed with us
Yeh, behind a struggling pack, i dont think he would be shining as much. Having RCG and Paulo opening the way for you makes life a lot easier for a young half