What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 18 vs Raiders

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Repentant Vaughan out to prove his worth for Dragons
Dragons Den
r0_744_5230_3487_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

ATONEMENT: Paul Vaughan is chomping at the bit to return from a frustrating month. Picture: NRL Imagery
A WEEK'S a long time in rugby league, but two slow weeks in isolation can feel more like an eternity.

That's how it felt for Dragons prop Paul Vaughan after he was forced into a 14-day COVID lockdown after admitting to dining out in Wollongong on the morning of his side's round-13 clash with the Roosters.

He subsequently missed that match, and the dramatic week that followed with Paul McGregor's departure and emotional victory over Parramatta.

READ MORE: Players can't dodge scrutiny as new Dragons era begins

Vaughan said not being able to farewell McGregor was one of his biggest regrets over the slip-up that cost him two matches and a $10,000 fine.

"It was pretty frustrating that I wasn't out there, I think what hurt me the most was that I let the boys down," Vaughan said.

"It's not what I'm about, I like to get out there and contribute as much as I can so it was pretty heartbreaking to not be able to do that. It was a bit if a weird time to be honest because I obviously wasn't allowed around training and around that time Mary got let go.

"I had a very close strong relationship with Mary. He brought me to the club and we developed a very strong connection over the years. That's an unfortunate thing I missed out on, when Mary was let go I couldn't say my goodbyes face to face which was upsetting.

"I've obviously paid the price for what's happened and I'm looking to get back out there this weekend and do a job for the boys. I just really want to play footy because the last month has been pretty tedious."

The frustration continued in his return, becoming one of the first targets of a league-wide crackdown on crusher tackles despite what looked like an innocuous tangle with Broncos winger Richie Kennar.

It meant another two weeks on the sideline, mercifully not in isolation, but he was forced to sit back as the Dragons let game against the Titans and Cowboys. They face an even tougher task against Canberra in Wollongong on Saturday and the 29-year-old is keen to make up for lost time.

"I'm really looking forward to getting back," he said.

"Watching the boys go around knowing I can't help them hurt me a fair bit. It was pretty hard coming back and getting [charged with] a crusher tackle but you have to cop it on the chin.

"The game's cracking down on that and it was an unfortunate one, it is what it is. They're obviously trying to rub that out of the game and I got another two weeks there. I got stuck into training and worked a few things and I'm ready to go."

His second stint on the sideline saw another change in coach, in the long-term sense, with Anthony Griffin appointed to take the reins from next year.

READ MORE: Nines sensation Ramsey set to debut against Raiders

Vaughan expects his side will want to impress the incoming coach over what's shaping as a tough run home.

"Obviously the club's headed in a new direction and it's a good chance for the club to start fresh and rebuild," Vaughan said.

"I haven't had much to do with [Griffin] but from all reports he's a great coach. With a new coach coming in there's a little bit of uncertainty there too with some playing futures, you don't really know what sort of roster Anthony wants.

"All the boys will be looking forward to proving themselves, whether it be boys coming off-contract or not, it'll bring the best out of a few boys so that's exciting."

Vaughan will have other motivations over the final month of the competition as he pushes to hold onto his NSW jumper, though it's not the first thing on his mind.

"Obviously it hasn't been a great year so I'm not really thinking about State of Origin at the moment," he said.

"I wouldn't say the ship's sailed but there's a lot of depth there for the Blues in the forwards. I'm just thinking about coming back and playing well for the Dragons.

"I'm not too sure what's happening there with the bubble. We haven't really been told, I'm sure that'll come when the date's closer but [NSW] will be fine either way.

"It's a very strong team they've got there, forwards and backs, so whichever way they go I think it's going to pretty dominant either way."

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...n-out-to-prove-his-worth-for-dragons/?cs=3713

Who does this Bloke think he is? Mick weyman? Oh wait...

getsmarty

Immortal
vaughanp_1nh_3609.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Presented By

Late mail: Round 18 v Canberra Raiders
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 12 Sep 2020, 02:00 PM

St George Illawarra interim coach Dean Young has finalised his team ahead of the Dragons' Round 18 i98FM Illawarra Convoy Round clash against the Canberra Raiders at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Saturday, September 12.

Cody Ramsey will become St George Illawarra player No. 235 after being named on the wing for his NRL debut in place of Mikaele Ravalawa.

Paul Vaughan (suspension) returns in the front row and will be joined alongside by the promoted Kaide Ellis. Blake Lawrie and Josh Kerr revert to the interchange while Tyrell Fuimaono drops back to the reserves.

Eddie Blacker and Tyrell Fuimoano join Brayden Wiliame and Max Feagai as the players to drop out of Tuesday's initial 21-man squad.

The Dragons will still celebrate the i98FM Illawarra Convoy Round this weekend despite Covid-19 preventing it from going ahead in 2020. Raising funds for those in need and the Illawarra Community Foundation, make sure you buy a ticket in the 50-50 charity raffle now.

NR: team for Round 18 v Canberra Raiders –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Cody Ramsey – sponsored by Nutrition Station
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Baytek Construction
8. Kaide Ellis – sponsored by TripADeal
9. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox Property
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Modus Projects
12. Jacob Host – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
13. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System

Interchange:
14. Billy Brittain – sponsored by Trendline
15. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
16. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by SMAI
17. Jackson Ford – sponsored by Bodytech Fitness

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/09/12/nrl-team-round-18-v-canberra-raiders/

SAP58

Juniors
If the forwards can hold their own & not have lapses in defence we are in with a big chance. We can’t afford to give them too many back to back sets early. - GO THE MIGHTIES !

Mark D

Juniors
If the forwards can hold their own & not have lapses in defence we are in with a big chance. We can’t afford to give them too many back to back sets early. - GO THE MIGHTIES !
Agree... Vaughan owes the team a big one

SAP58

Juniors
Defence is very soft Canberra making heaps of metres easily. Might be a long day if they start hanging onto the ball.