What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilkenny

Coach
On NRL 360 tonight, Hooper said that the players Barrett is targeting are Burton, Staines, Hetherington and one other Panthers player.

WTF? So Barrett wants to rebuild the Dogs from pinching all the Panthers juniors? But its OK though, because apparently the Bulldogs CEO has reached out to the Panthers CEO so here can't be any question of acting inappropriately.

We have allowed the said players to test there value.

It is what it is.

franklin2323

Immortal
I have so enjoyed the journey around this current group of players I am really not interested in who may be available, potential recruits, I just want to hang onto as many of our current players that we can.

Once it is confirmed Naden or Burton or Staines or whomever is leaving then at that point I may be prepared to consider outside recruits,

Until it happens I just want to keep the ‘band’ together. They are a great bunch and I just hope we can keep them all.

We will need to bring some guys in. Purely for depth purposes

murraymob

Coach
On 360 they said the dogs CEO contacted Penrith CEO to say they would be talking to Staines burton hethrington Crichton when they can.Called as a courtesy .If that’s not enough to have Barrett out then I don’t know what is

franklin2323

Immortal
On 360 they said the dogs CEO contacted Penrith CEO to say they would be talking to Staines burton hethrington Crichton when they can.Called as a courtesy .If that’s not enough to have Barrett out then I don’t know what is

We have let Staines shop around. Loaned out Hetherington so of course they would be interested regardless of who is coach

Fangs

Coach
There are reasons to leave Penrith, but more reasons to stay IMO.

Tier 1 clubs you want to sign with:

1.) Roosters
2.) Melbourne
3.) Broncos - Bit of a laugh I know, they have been on the slide for a while. Still I'll back them to respond quickly

Just about any player will go there. Highly successful clubs, sustained success over a long period. Good facilities. Starting 17 for each clubs regularly features the games best players. Your chances of playing rep football increase dramatically when playing alongside the best in the game.

I place us in the tier 2 along with teams like the Sharks/Rabbits. Fairly successful, talented squads. Only difference with Penrith is that we don't have a premiership to show everyone (Like the Eels). We are however somewhat more desirable than say Canberra as we aren't completely in the sticks.

Tier 3 and below is where is gets pretty shithouse. Some clubs have a very long way to go, the Bulldogs being one of them. They have been abysmal for years. Problems aren't just on the field either. They will turn it around, they have done it before in the past. But its not a certain thing to happen anytime soon.

So really if the Bulldogs are offering overs to one of our younger players then I'm not worried at all. Staines, Crichton, Burton and Hetherington are unlikely to have a better long-term career at the Bulldogs.

As for Barrett, he is too important to our chances this year. He stays in the job.

Original Name

Juniors
Tristan Sailor could be an interesting pick up. Although we probably want someone a bit more experienced.
Plays the same role as Daine Laurie. Utility backline player and can probably play ball playing lock in the last 20 or so minutes. Is the gap between their ability big enough to punt Laurie for him and make up for the chemistry Laurie has developed playing along side guys like Naden, Martin, Leniu, Luai, Crichton in the lower grades and training in the top 36 squad along with most of our first choice squad for a couple pre seasons now? Probably not.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
There are reasons to leave Penrith, but more reasons to stay IMO.

Tier 1 clubs you want to sign with:

1.) Roosters
2.) Melbourne
3.) Broncos - Bit of a laugh I know, they have been on the slide for a while. Still I'll back them to respond quickly

Just about any player will go there. Highly successful clubs, sustained success over a long period. Good facilities. Starting 17 for each clubs regularly features the games best players. Your chances of playing rep football increase dramatically when playing alongside the best in the game.

I place us in the tier 2 along with teams like the Sharks/Rabbits. Fairly successful, talented squads. Only difference with Penrith is that we don't have a premiership to show everyone (Like the Eels). We are however somewhat more desirable than say Canberra as we aren't completely in the sticks.

Tier 3 and below is where is gets pretty shithouse. Some clubs have a very long way to go, the Bulldogs being one of them. They have been abysmal for years. Problems aren't just on the field either. They will turn it around, they have done it before in the past. But its not a certain thing to happen anytime soon.

So really if the Bulldogs are offering overs to one of our younger players then I'm not worried at all. Staines, Crichton, Burton and Hetherington are unlikely to have a better long-term career at the Bulldogs.

As for Barrett, he is too important to our chances this year. He stays in the job.

Lots of tier 3 teams offering overs... there lies the issue

Whino

Bench
Masked Panther

Rumours are doing the rounds that Melbourne has its eye on Panthers centre Brent Naden, and could put an offer to the strike centre as early as November. The 24-year-old, who is having a sensational season for Penrith, is contracted at the foot of the Mountains until the end of next year but is apparently likely to be targeted by Craig Bellamy. This will be a common story in the next few months – Penrith’s exciting crop of talent is garnering plenty of interest across the NRL.

https://westernweekender.com.au/2020/09/masked-panther-may-signs-new-penrith-deal/

Jane Murray

Bench
Masked Panther

Rumours are doing the rounds that Melbourne has its eye on Panthers centre Brent Naden, and could put an offer to the strike centre as early as November. The 24-year-old, who is having a sensational season for Penrith, is contracted at the foot of the Mountains until the end of next year but is apparently likely to be targeted by Craig Bellamy. This will be a common story in the next few months – Penrith’s exciting crop of talent is garnering plenty of interest across the NRL.

https://westernweekender.com.au/2020/09/masked-panther-may-signs-new-penrith-deal/

Naden has stated that he regularly gets home sick. Who knows?

martielang

Bench

Not sure what you expect Barrett / Bulldogs to do. They need to secure players & if the players are available they have every right to go after them.

As for punting Barrett, cutting the nose off to spite the face... We are a red hot chance of securing a premiership & he's a major reason for it, why jeopardise that?

kinghippo

Juniors
Plays the same role as Daine Laurie. Utility backline player and can probably play ball playing lock in the last 20 or so minutes. Is the gap between their ability big enough to punt Laurie for him and make up for the chemistry Laurie has developed playing along side guys like Naden, Martin, Leniu, Luai, Crichton in the lower grades and training in the top 36 squad along with most of our first choice squad for a couple pre seasons now? Probably not.
Sailor is way to small to play lock, he is Dufty sized. He is only 80kg.
According to more than a few dragons fans he gets a lot of attention because of his name, he has some skill and speed but is probably a bit overhyped.

Black Magik

Juniors
Probably explains why Critta and Burton extensions haven't been announced.

Critta has come out saying he "can't see himself in another jersey" which typically is code for I want more than Penrith are offering.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not sure what you expect Barrett / Bulldogs to do. They need to secure players & if the players are available they have every right to go after them.

As for punting Barrett, cutting the nose off to spite the face... We are a red hot chance of securing a premiership & he's a major reason for it, why jeopardise that?

That is the thing. We allowed them to speak to other clubs. What club in their right mind doesn't speak to all players available

Jane Murray

Bench
Probably explains why Critta and Burton extensions haven't been announced.

Critta has come out saying he "can't see himself in another jersey" which typically is code for I want more than Penrith are offering.

Disagree in this case. Also, I think, that Burton will stay.

The Storm won't be the same in a couple of years. Bellamy will retire, Cam Smith will retire and their CEO will be in charge of the Broncos next year. Sounds like a great move today but I can't see them maintaining the same culture after the three mentioned have moved on.

I can not wait for that day to arrive.

WestyLife

First Grade
On NRL 360 tonight, Hooper said that the players Barrett is targeting are Burton, Staines, Hetherington and one other Panthers player.

WTF? So Barrett wants to rebuild the Dogs from pinching all the Panthers juniors? But its OK though, because apparently the Bulldogs CEO has reached out to the Panthers CEO so here can't be any question of acting inappropriately.

To be fair if the Panthers agree than it can't be inappropriate.

Fair points, but it’s possible we’re going to lose Laurie after other clubs see him in action. If Staines & Burton stay, there’s really not much room for Laurie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts