What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev07

Juniors
May article in Western Weekender

Repaying the faith: Only good times ahead for Tyrone May
By
Nathan Taylor
-
September 23, 2020, 6:08
tyronemay1-2-640x427.jpg

Tyrone May at Panthers training on Monday. Photo: Megan Dunn.

Share this story

A year in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons has made newly re-signed Panthers utility Tyrone May appreciate life more.

This time last year the 24-year-old’s rugby league career was in severe doubt as he awaited the outcome of much-publicised legal proceedings.

The Blacktown product wasn’t sure whether he’d go to prison for his off-field indiscretions or be banned from the game altogether – nothing was certain, everything was up in the air.

In January – after nearly 12 months out of the game – May’s fate was decided in court, paving the way for him to finally return to his happy place… the footy field.

Speaking with Extra Time on the eve of the NRL Finals, the Samoan international said he’s finally in a good mental and physical state after the toughest period of his young life.

“I can’t complain… I’m just happy to be playing footy again,” May admitted.

“I missed out last year and to be on the roll that we’re on now has been great to be a part of.”

With May’s career hanging by a thread this time last year, he almost can’t believe how much his life has turned around since. The Minchinbury Jets junior said he appreciates every single minute he’s out on the field, contributing to Penrith’s immense success this season.

“You just can’t take anything for granted, just roll with the punches, and to be able to be on this team is unbelievable,” he said.

“I don’t want to take any moment for granted, this one especially.”

In his 12 appearances for the Panthers this season, May has enjoyed a starring role off Ivan Cleary’s bench. Not only has he had a hand in six tries for Penrith, but he’s proven his versatility by playing in several positions.

“I’m just happy to play anywhere, I don’t even know what position I like best. I just love playing footy and it’s a bonus that I can play so many positions,” May said.

I’ve always known I can play a few positions, I’ve played a few coming through the grades. Ivan tells me to be prepared for anything because if someone goes down you just don’t know where you’re going to play. I just have to know everyone’s roles.”

panthersmay2.jpg

Even though his on-field experience is confined to just 31 first grade matches, May’s footy IQ will be hugely important to the Panthers come the start of the Finals next week.

May was there the last time Penrith played post-season footy and will use previous Finals defeats to his advantage.

“I think we’re better for the losses that have come before and hopefully we can learn from them,” May said.

“I know how disheartening it was when we lost that semi against the Sharks in 2018, it wasn’t a good feeling. Everyone wants to win the Grand Final and we’re in a good position to give it a crack. It would be a shame if we didn’t put our best foot forward in the coming weeks.”

https://westernweekender.com.au/2020/09/repaying-the-faith-only-good-times-ahead-for-tyrone-may/

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
I think we should be doing what ever we can to keep Naden (without paying crazy money) unless, we have an elite centre lined up. I’m talking Kotoni Staggs or similar.

In my mind, unless they are at that sort of level, we may as well keep Nado. He is a very good player without being elite, but I also think he has some improvement in him.

I hope we re-sign him to be honest.

The rumour around Naden and the Storm is there any suggestion there is substance to it or is just filling space on the Foxsports website?

I understand we may have other higher priority re-signings but surely we can hang onto Naden and I’m sure his preference would be to stay as long as we can make him a competitive offer.

Kilkenny

Coach
You’d have to think the Warriors signing Fonua-Blake will rule them out of signing Hetherington.

Fonua-Blake reported to be on $850K on his current Sea Eagles deal.

Good player but surely not on that sort of money?

murraymob

Coach
The rumour around Naden and the Storm is there any suggestion there is substance to it or is just filling space on the Foxsports website?

I understand we may have other higher priority re-signings but surely we can hang onto Naden and I’m sure his preference would be to stay as long as we can make him a competitive offer.
Yes there is substance to it.He is the mould type of player they like and they have cap space

Kilkenny

Coach
Yes there is substance to it.He is the mould type of player they like and they have cap space

So I assume on that basis we have given him permission to test his value on the open market ahead of the November 1 cut off or whatever the cut off is in the Covid environment.

The Salary Cap works in mysterious ways.

If you believe half of what you read we apparently have allowed Burton, Staines, Mansour, Hetherington to test there value on the open market even allowing for the fact they are locked up until 2021. Obviously, I assume we must have extended the same courtesy to Brent Naden given no club is allowed to talk to him until the November 1 cut off.

I think we all recognise the issues around the salary cap and we can’t possible keep all our young guns but every club is supposed to be in the same boat and while we have 11 players off contract in 2021 some clubs have more than 11. (A few have less)

The yak

Juniors
You’d have to think the Warriors signing Fonua-Blake will rule them out of signing Hetherington.

No way Fonua-Blake is worth anywhere near that.
You might be right on Hetherington now that the Warriors have picked up a expensive prop. They have also signed Murdoch- Masila for next year too.

franklin2323

Immortal
So I assume on that basis we have given him permission to test his value on the open market ahead of the November 1 cut off or whatever the cut off is in the Covid environment.

The Salary Cap works in mysterious ways.

If you believe half of what you read we apparently have allowed Burton, Staines, Mansour, Hetherington to test there value on the open market even allowing for the fact they are locked up until 2021. Obviously, I assume we must have extended the same courtesy to Brent Naden given no club is allowed to talk to him until the November 1 cut off.

I think we all recognise the issues around the salary cap and we can’t possible keep all our young guns but every club is supposed to be in the same boat and while we have 11 players off contract in 2021 some clubs have more than 11. (A few have less)

No we won't of let him. In these cases the manager leaks the story to the media.

Usually what happens is the manager is talking to the club about someone else. Then drops in they have x of amount of guys free.

It is why a trade window or a draft won't work

franklin2323

Immortal

No chance he is on that at Manly. Half that

franklin2323

Immortal
I’m always skeptical about the figures quoted by the media but they are the figures suggested.

No doubt the Manager wants that from Warriors so is dropping the figure

Tom Turbo $1.2m
DCE $1.1m
Taupau $900k
Jake Turbo $900k

Also have been mentioned. The cap doesn't allow it

No doubt the Manager wants that from Warriors so is dropping the figure

Tom Turbo $1.2m
DCE $1.1m
Taupau $900k
Jake Turbo $900k

Also have been mentioned. The cap doesn't allow it

One of the reasons AFB has left is because he felt he was underpaid, some of those other figures might not be too far off if you look at how big a talent drop off Many have outside their top 5 players. The squad isn’t well balanced at all.

GongPanther

Referee
May article in Western Weekender

Repaying the faith: Only good times ahead for Tyrone May
By
Nathan Taylor
-
September 23, 2020, 6:08
tyronemay1-2-640x427.jpg

Tyrone May at Panthers training on Monday. Photo: Megan Dunn.

Share this story

A year in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons has made newly re-signed Panthers utility Tyrone May appreciate life more.

This time last year the 24-year-old’s rugby league career was in severe doubt as he awaited the outcome of much-publicised legal proceedings.

The Blacktown product wasn’t sure whether he’d go to prison for his off-field indiscretions or be banned from the game altogether – nothing was certain, everything was up in the air.

In January – after nearly 12 months out of the game – May’s fate was decided in court, paving the way for him to finally return to his happy place… the footy field.

Speaking with Extra Time on the eve of the NRL Finals, the Samoan international said he’s finally in a good mental and physical state after the toughest period of his young life.

“I can’t complain… I’m just happy to be playing footy again,” May admitted.

“I missed out last year and to be on the roll that we’re on now has been great to be a part of.”

With May’s career hanging by a thread this time last year, he almost can’t believe how much his life has turned around since. The Minchinbury Jets junior said he appreciates every single minute he’s out on the field, contributing to Penrith’s immense success this season.

“You just can’t take anything for granted, just roll with the punches, and to be able to be on this team is unbelievable,” he said.

“I don’t want to take any moment for granted, this one especially.”

In his 12 appearances for the Panthers this season, May has enjoyed a starring role off Ivan Cleary’s bench. Not only has he had a hand in six tries for Penrith, but he’s proven his versatility by playing in several positions.

“I’m just happy to play anywhere, I don’t even know what position I like best. I just love playing footy and it’s a bonus that I can play so many positions,” May said.

I’ve always known I can play a few positions, I’ve played a few coming through the grades. Ivan tells me to be prepared for anything because if someone goes down you just don’t know where you’re going to play. I just have to know everyone’s roles.”

panthersmay2.jpg

Even though his on-field experience is confined to just 31 first grade matches, May’s footy IQ will be hugely important to the Panthers come the start of the Finals next week.

May was there the last time Penrith played post-season footy and will use previous Finals defeats to his advantage.

“I think we’re better for the losses that have come before and hopefully we can learn from them,” May said.

“I know how disheartening it was when we lost that semi against the Sharks in 2018, it wasn’t a good feeling. Everyone wants to win the Grand Final and we’re in a good position to give it a crack. It would be a shame if we didn’t put our best foot forward in the coming weeks.”

https://westernweekender.com.au/2020/09/repaying-the-faith-only-good-times-ahead-for-tyrone-may/
Strange isn't it. From that Sharks loss in the 2018 finals, 8 of that team are still with us. This inexperience "thing" the media are beating up about is nonsense. We have an excellent blend of youth and experience.

franklin2323

Immortal
One of the reasons AFB has left is because he felt he was underpaid, some of those other figures might not be too far off if you look at how big a talent drop off Many have outside their top 5 players. The squad isn’t well balanced at all.

It is top heavy but I can't see AFB being paid more than Walker. Those 4 then Walker then AFB and then a huge drop to the rest

franklin2323

Immortal
Tristan Sailor could be an interesting pick up. Although we probably want someone a bit more experienced.

Depends what you want. He can play anywhere from 1-7 and with blinding speed could even work off the bench.

Good squad player. Doesn't fix the issue should someone in the backline get a major injury. So him with an older head would be good

Crashtest

Juniors
On NRL 360 tonight, Hooper said that the players Barrett is targeting are Burton, Staines, Hetherington and one other Panthers player.

WTF? So Barrett wants to rebuild the Dogs from pinching all the Panthers juniors? But its OK though, because apparently the Bulldogs CEO has reached out to the Panthers CEO so here can't be any question of acting inappropriately.

Kilkenny

Coach
I have so enjoyed the journey around this current group of players I am really not interested in who may be available, potential recruits, I just want to hang onto as many of our current players that we can.

Once it is confirmed Naden or Burton or Staines or whomever is leaving then at that point I may be prepared to consider outside recruits,

Until it happens I just want to keep the ‘band’ together. They are a great bunch and I just hope we can keep them all.

Hooked

Juniors
On NRL 360 tonight, Hooper said that the players Barrett is targeting are Burton, Staines, Hetherington and one other Panthers player.

WTF? So Barrett wants to rebuild the Dogs from pinching all the Panthers juniors? But its OK though, because apparently the Bulldogs CEO has reached out to the Panthers CEO so here can't be any question of acting inappropriately.

Hooper Lol.
Typical Bulldogs though, bought not bred.
Go develop your own players you lazy incompetent club.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think we will hang onto Staines.Naden etc certainly in the short term.

Personaly, I think the conversation around Matt Burton is an entirely different situation.

If I was Burton’s manager I would definitely not be in a conversation around us grooming him for a position as a lock/back rower.

Clearly Burton is already in demand and his true value on the open market is playing in the spine where the truly big dollars are?

I truly hope we can somehow convince him to stay, but at the same time if we cannot guarantee him a position in the halves I can certainly understand him leaving for twice the money at another club who can offer him a 5/8 or 7 position.

Barrett should’ve been shown the door instantly. You can’t serve two masters.

Status
Not open for further replies.