What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 QF1 (1 v 4) - Panthers 29-28 Roosters @ Panthers

Finals Week 1: Panthers v Roosters

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chrisD

Coach
Without their mercenary Cronk this Roosters team just doesn't really understand finals footy.

The_Frog

First Grade
something for our plucky club to be proud of.
They weren't too plucky last game. More like plucked. Still, this will be a serious game of footy with the winner getting a saloon passage to the GF. Not game to tip a winner. The greatest test yet for the Panthers particularly. I'm sure the Roosters will try to target our outside backs, if we can hold them there the battle is half won. I'm sure we can match them in the middle. Watch out for a JWH cheap shot boys. The bloke who so rattled his cage a few weeks ago won't even get a game.

Tedesco is a key to this game as well, not just for his elusive and dangerous running, but also for his propensity for being out of position in defence in his own in-goal, which Luai will look to exploit.

Last edited:

Panther Pete

Juniors
There are 2 win streaks at play here. We are on a 6 finals game winning streak including two grand finals. Not as impressive as the feats of Penrith this year obviously but still something for our plucky club to be proud of.

If we make 7 in a row it will equal Brisbane of 92-94.

Ironically the last time we won 6 finals in a row, the streak was ended by Penrith in the 2003 GF (They beat us in that game for those unaware).
So who wins on Friday night?

GongPanther

Referee
PENRITH​
PENRITH
PENRITH​
PENRITH​
PENRITH
PENRITH​
PENRITH​
PENRITH
PENRITH​
PENRITH​
PENRITH
PENRITH​
PENRITH​
PENRITH

PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's

The_Frog

First Grade
Sonny Bill will have trouble sleeping this week. A career defining moment for him getting to be on the same hallowed ground as Isaah Yeo. Hopefully Isaah is kind enough to give him a wink & a nod.
They did both play in the same match on 19th July, 2014. Yeo came off the bench so I don't know if they were on the field at the same time.

SDM

First Grade
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
What’s with the apostrophes? Did you buy a shirt from Panthers that says 2020 Minor Premier’s?

The_Frog

First Grade
PENRITH​
PENRITH
PENRITH​
PENRITH​
PENRITH
PENRITH​
PENRITH​
PENRITH
PENRITH​
PENRITH​
PENRITH
PENRITH​
PENRITH​
PENRITH
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's​
PENRITH 2020 MP's
It's starting.

GongPanther

Referee
There are 2 win streaks at play here. We are on a 6 finals game winning streak including two grand finals. Not as impressive as the feats of Penrith this year obviously but still something for our plucky club to be proud of.

If we make 7 in a row it will equal Brisbane of 92-94.

Ironically the last time we won 6 finals in a row, the streak was ended by Penrith in the 2003 GF (They beat us in that game for those unaware).
If the Panthers win their 16th straight win on Friday, these two very old records will be matched:
16 games Eastern Suburbs Jun 15th, 1912 - vs. North Sydney to Jun 28th, 1913 - vs. Glebe
16 games South Sydney May 30th, 1908 - vs. Newtown to Jul 17th, 1909 - vs. Glebe
https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/competitions/nrl/records.html

Then the Dogs 17 straight record after that from 2002. Albeit a salary cap issue by the Dogs in that year, but that record still stands.

GongPanther

Referee
What’s with the apostrophes? Did you buy a shirt from Panthers that says 2020 Minor Premier’s?
Funny you say that as I received it this morning. (Looks brilliant...can order one for you if you wish...only $200 for you).

But we won the Minor Premiership in the game V the Cows, in case you weren't paying attention. And yes...doesn't it get to you after your club was the ladder leaders after 7 rounds. Now be a good little girl, and run along and go play in the traffic with your razor blades.

SDM

First Grade
Funny you say that as I received it this morning. (Looks brilliant...can order one for you if you wish...only $200 for you).

But we won the Minor Premiership in the game V the Cows, in case you weren't paying attention. And yes...doesn't it get to you after your club was the ladder leaders after 7 rounds. Now be a good little girl, and run along and go play in the traffic with your razor blades.
I’m not committing $200 until I know if it has an apostrophe.

Cockosh

Juniors
Well done to Panthers on a well deserved MP and a great season.
I know it has been well documented but they simply haven’t been tested in the 2nd half of the season. I didn’t realise just how easy their draw has been. In 13 games Since round 8 they have only played 4 Top 8 games with 3 of those games at home. 2 against the Sharks, one against the eels and one v raiders. Only 3 games out of Sydney all year with one of those against the cowboys last week where they had the luxury of resting players with mp wrapped up. You can only play what’s in front of you but it does give me hope that our big game experience will get us over the line.
Having gotten over the embarrassment of Friday night I think we will win. Might be wishful thinking but I’d say it’s a blessing in disguise. It might just be the elusive motivation that is needed when chasing history.
Roosters 20-4. Will be a cracker

mxlegend99

Referee
Winner of this is almost certainly into the grand final. Facing Souths week 3 IMOM

The loser is screwed. They likely face Raiders week 2, Storm week 3 and then the team that beat them week 1 in the grand final... Assuming they could win these games which is not an easy run at all.

This game and the ones the loser plays in after it are the only difficult picks through to the grand final.

Cockosh

Juniors
Roosters had 4. I guess that accounts for the NINE point difference on the ladder, then.
So you’ve picked out one of multiple points. Ok then.
It’s a combination of all the points I made and the away games probably being less significant. In the last 7 rounds you’ve played the Warriors, Sharks, Tigers, Broncos , Eels , Cowboys and Dogs. Not exactly a battle hardened preparation for finals? Not trying to take away from the achievement, as I said you can only play who’s in front of you but that gives me some confidence. Like most pundits I’m keen to find out how good the panthers really are. We are about to find out.

The_Frog

First Grade
So you’ve picked out one of multiple points. Ok then.
It’s a combination of all the points I made and the away games probably being less significant. In the last 7 rounds you’ve played the Warriors, Sharks, Tigers, Broncos , Eels , Cowboys and Dogs. Not exactly a battle hardened preparation for finals? Not trying to take away from the achievement, as I said you can only play who’s in front of you but that gives me some confidence. Like most pundits I’m keen to find out how good the panthers really are. We are about to find out.
You know what. Not a single one of those sides rolled over. They all had to be beaten.

Cockosh

Juniors
You know what. Not a single one of those sides rolled over. They all had to be beaten.
Where did I say anyone rolled over? The fact is you’ve probably had the easiest draw of any team. You mention you only had 1 less out of Sydney game compared to us but we played Storm, Raiders, Broncos and Cows while you had Titans, Broncos and Cows with the luxury of resting players. Again you’ve done well but we will find out how good you really are. And Like many champions team you’ve also been blessed with a relatively injury free season. Sometimes you are just blessed.

Latest posts