What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Week 1 finals eels v storm Team List Thread

DaveMc

Juniors
Unfortunately I went to both games and 2009 grand Final. At least 09 we were underdogs, but come so close, but 1998 was like, what the heck just happened.

I think like a lot of Parra fans, I didnt see a replay of the game until maybe 10 years later when Fox replayed the game and someone posted bits and pieces of the game on Youtube, presumably a Parra fan as he narrated a few incidents.

Rabs already penciled us in the GF at 18-2 when Whearet scores the try and then Simon kicks out on the full. Oh no its started.

2001 Ive hardly seen a replay of. Yes Newcastle were dominant in the first 40, but we looked so nervous and underprepared, missed tackles and poor handling errors didnt help. Although put it this way I dont think Peden's first try would be awarded today. Still they shouldve been prepared a lot better.
Yeah, I have to admit that I have never watched a replay of either the 98 match or the 01 GF.

I’ve never watched a replay of 09 either, but I still reckon we were hard done by with the rubbish penalty given when Slater knocked on in the ruck, and I believe we’d have won if it was a turnover and they hadn’t had the opportunity to kick the field goal there. We were coming home hard, and I think Hayne would’ve gotten us over the line.

Weren’t we also dudded by some poor calls in the 99 GF qualifier against the Storm? We really do owe them one back this weekend.

Incorrect

Coach
I read somewhere that the Sharks limped into the finals after losing most of their last 5 games. Then they put a few together and won the comp. Never say never I reckon.
Yep, I believe they lost 4 of their last 5 games heading in to the finals.

Bandwagon

Staff member
If they want to fix the game they need to reduce the ways that one team can gain a possession advantage. Sure it will mean fewer tries but 'building pressure' isn't the best spectacle because seeing one team collapse from fatigue looks shit.

The simple solution is the team who scores kicks to restart.

Would likely have the effect of less penalty goals and less field goals as well, taking 1 or 2 points knowing you're gonna be defending the next set won't be so attractive.

emjaycee

Coach
If they want to fix the game they need to reduce the ways that one team can gain a possession advantage. Sure it will mean fewer tries but 'building pressure' isn't the best spectacle because seeing one team collapse from fatigue looks shit.
Make scrums truly contestable again.

Incorrect

Coach
Yeah, I have to admit that I have never watched a replay of either the 98 match or the 01 GF.

I’ve never watched a replay of 09 either, but I still reckon we were hard done by with the rubbish penalty given when Slater knocked on in the ruck, and I believe we’d have won if it was a turnover and they hadn’t had the opportunity to kick the field goal there. We were coming home hard, and I think Hayne would’ve gotten us over the line.

Weren’t we also dudded by some poor calls in the 99 GF qualifier against the Storm? We really do owe them one back this weekend.

I was at the 99 prelim final. I don't recall any huge clangers or dud calls going against us. I just recall us kind of of putting the cue in the rack early and trying to protect a lead.

For the 01 GF, I was over in Ireland vising family at that time. Had been away from Australia most of the year and was just following our progress via the internet. Had spoken to a mate back in Sydney a few times over the phone and he was telling me how shit-hot we had been playing all year and that we were morals to win the premiership. I was staying at my uncles place in Ireland, out in the country and he didn't have Sky-TV. And that was the first night time GF, so it was like 11am Irish time but the pubs don't open until midday on a Sunday but my uncle manages to arrange with one of the pubs to open early so that I can watch the GF and have a a few pints.... And then 40 minutes later it's 24-blot. My uncle is looking at me like, "I thought you said they were a good team".... So we ended up f**king off and I never saw the entire game. I just remember Ben Kennedy terrorising Jason Taylor. Lol

PARRA_FAN

Coach

That call on Slater by Archer was an absolute disgrace, reckoned Moi Moi held on too long. If anything Slater tried a quick play the ball but lost it at his own fault.

Another call I remember was Turner was tackled on his 20m but was allowed to run another 20 m, even though Inu tackled him.

I cant remember any dud calls in the 99 semi final. I mean we pretty much had them on the ropes for the first 10 minutes, we should've scored more points. Lucky Kelly's try on half time helped the score a little bit but I remember Kimmorely looking dangerous. One play that probably wouldve put the game away when was Moran chipped over and Smith dropped the ball. I mean tough one to take but if Moran found Kelly, he scores, game over. Oh well.

hineyrulz

Post Whore

They scored off a forward pass and Burt had the ball stripped plain as day but Harrigan ruled a knock on. They scored straight after if I remember. I’ve never watched a replay of the 98,99,01 or 05 games at all. I might when we actually somehow win a comp.

DaveMc

Juniors
They scored off a forward pass and Burt had the ball stripped plain as day but Harrigan ruled a knock on. They scored straight after if I remember. I’ve never watched a replay of the 98,99,01 or 05 games at all. I might when we actually somehow win a comp.
Now that you mention it, the 05 clusterf**k might be the worst of all. The premiership was sitting for us on a platter, and we choked so hard. That one was devastating.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The simple solution is the team who scores kicks to restart.

Would likely have the effect of less penalty goals and less field goals as well, taking 1 or 2 points knowing you're gonna be defending the next set won't be so attractive.
I feel this is fairer as well, but then I've heard NRL players/coaches say they would rather be kicking off than receiving the kickoff, from a territory perspective. Maybe this will have changed with the six again rule.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I think that loss against the Cows sent me right off the deep end and i have never really recovered. Right @Gary Gutful
It impacted us all in different ways.

I just started telling everyone that I don’t care about the result, but really I cry big mincer tears into my pillow at night after every loss

Incorrect

Coach
I think that loss against the Cows sent me right off the deep end and i have never really recovered. Right @Gary Gutful
A mate of mine was at the SFS for the 98 prelim and was carrying on like a good sort and giving all sorts of shit to a bunch of nearby Dogs when we were up by 16 points... And then it all went to shit and he had to run away, tail between his legs as it was told to me... Fast forward to 2005 prelim weekend and on the Saturday night, we're at the pub watching the Tigers upset the Dragons and the same mate is hamming it up again, obnoxious as all hell saying that the Dragons are shit, the Tigers are shit and that the premiership is Parra's for sure... Next day we get the piss knocked out of us 29-nil.... That was the last straw for said mate. He went off league from that point on and is now a GWS Giants member.... Lol

hindy111

Post Whore

If score a try you kick off.....