What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redcliffe put their hand up

ash the bash

Juniors
Team 17 = East Coast Dolphins
Team 18 = West Coast Pirates
Team 19 = South Pacific Cyclones
Team 20 = North Sydney Bears (gosford)

north, south, east, west.... easy

Concur with that view, not to derail the Dolphins thread.

Team 17 = SQ/MB Dolphins
Team 19 = South Pacific Cyclones (Where to base them ? Maybe Christchurch 8 games and rest around NZ)
Team 20 = Central Coast Bears. Right one of the wrongs of Super league and get a traditional team and great mascot back in the game. (10 Gosford, 2 NSO)

I cannot see how adding a new team in NSW is in the game's best interest. The Sydney clubs would never allow it.

The closest we'll get to expansion in NSW is breaking up the Wests Tigers so it can become the Western Sydney Magpies. That way Easts Tigers can become the Brisbane Tigers. Balmain fans will still have their brand in the top flight. You're killing two birds with one stone, reintroducing a Sydney brand that has over 100 years of history and adding a strong club from Brisbane that just happens to share the same brand as the Balmain.

I am coming around to accepting "North Brisbane" as an appropriate name for the Dolphins. Moreton Bay Region is on the northern outskirts of Greater Brisbane, so it is geographically correct. I don't think "South Queensland" has the same name recognition, at least to foreigners, as "Brisbane". If you were to say "Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver", people would say, "ah, cities from Canada". Say "New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, British Columbia, Manitoba" and fewer people would know what you're talking about.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench

Team 17 = SQ/MB Dolphins
Team 19 = South Pacific Cyclones (Where to base them ? Maybe Christchurch 8 games and rest around NZ)
Team 20 = Central Coast Bears. Right one of the wrongs of Super league and get a traditional team and great mascot back in the game. (10 Gosford, 2 NSO)

With the Dolphins, Bears & Cyclones coming in, you'll have quite an influx of teams in red.. assuming a Christchurch team doesn't stray too far from the red & black they love down there...

T-Boon

Coach

Team 17 = SQ/MB Dolphins

I think a place like Toowoomba should be ahead of the central coast.
Apart from having a very good stadium it has nothing going for it as an expansion area when you factor in there are teams less than an hour away. Best bet for CC is to be absorbed into the Newcastle CC Knights.
I am excited about the idea of the Knights taking over the central coast properly I don't understand why they haven't made a proper push for dominance there already.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Central Coast is only ever getting a team if a current Sydney team moves.

As I said in the other thread - the NRL won't and shouldn't force anything.
But if I was running a club sitting 8th or 9th in the Sydney traffic jam, with a crappy stadium and limited sponsorship opportunities, I could see a future up the highway if the NRL and Central Coast Council came to the table.
$1M per year for 10 years Relocation Fund from the NRL, and a guarantee from the Council to invest $50M into the stadium.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Central Coast is only ever getting a team if a current Sydney team moves.

As I said in the other thread - the NRL won't and shouldn't force anything.
But if I was running a club sitting 8th or 9th in the Sydney traffic jam, with a crappy stadium and limited sponsorship opportunities, I could see a future up the highway if the NRL and Central Coast Council came to the table.
$1M per year for 10 years Relocation Fund from the NRL, and a guarantee from the Council to invest $50M into the stadium.

Chump change. Would need to be at least $5mil a year for anyone to seriously consider it, and even then it would only happen if they were in absolute dire straights, which none of them are to the best of our knowledge.
Isnt the stadium privately owned? Would be better moving ownership to NSW Govt, much more chance of serious upgrades happening.

adamkungl

Immortal
Chump change. Would need to be at least $5mil a year for anyone to seriously consider it, and even then it would only happen if they were in absolute dire straights, which none of them are to the best of our knowledge.
Isnt the stadium privately owned? Would be better moving ownership to NSW Govt, much more chance of serious upgrades happening.

$5M a year for a capital city relocation MAYBE, I wouldn't be putting up that kind of cash for Gosford.
$1M a year is (rumoured to be) what the Penns need to tip in to keep them competing in Manly. Can do a fair bit with an extra Mil to play with, it might be the difference between surviving and competing.
The stadium is owned by Central Coast Council as far as i can tell.

Perth Red

Post Whore
$5M a year for a capital city relocation MAYBE, I wouldn't be putting up that kind of cash for Gosford.
$1M a year is (rumoured to be) what the Penns need to tip in to keep them competing in Manly. Can do a fair bit with an extra Mil to play with, it might be the difference between surviving and competing.
The stadium is owned by Central Coast Council as far as i can tell.

It isnt really, its about 3% of most clubs annual revenue and not nearly enough for them to abandon their home and heritage. NRl had a rumored $8mill on the table for relocation back when clubs revenues were little more than $12mill and no one took it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I am an RL fan, born and raised in Brisbane. Lived in Brisbane and Logan all my life. I hate the Broncos for what they did to the BRL and their role in Super League. I am the sort of person that is desperate for a 2nd Brisbane team to come along so I can have a local team that I can proudly support. When I say I won't support the generic 'neutral brand' crap that PR, TGD and mongoose are pushing for, I actually mean it. When I say I will only support a fair dinkum local brand that represents the culture and history of RL in Brisbane, I actually mean it. Neither PR, TGD nor mongoose will ever support Brisbane 2, regardless of what it's called. I'm convinced they're trying to sabotage Brisbane 2, probably because they see it as a threat to Perth and Adelaide.

I don't hate the Broncos, but I'm not a supporter either. I respect that there needs to be more clubs run like they are and as wealthy as they are. If that were the case the NRL would be very healthy.

As someone born and raised in Brisbane I can agree with this sentiment though. I have no connection to Redcliffe, Ipswich, Easts or any other QLD Cup club but I too would jump at the chance to support a second Brisbane club no matter which one it was, a brand with history and tradition in the QRL in my eyes as a supporter would be ideal.

I know it's not everyone's idea of the best solution but I'm a life-long Brisbane RL supporter not associated with the Broncos and I'm sure I'm not the only one that sees it that way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If the Dolphins tick the NRL's boxes then the SQ or North Brisbane Dolphins playing 11 games out of Suncorp and heritage round at Redcliffe certainly seems the best way to go (I say this without knowing how on the nose the Dolphins brand may be to other BRL clubs fans).
I am concerned about if they have the corporate pull they will need, they arent going to be able to rely on revenue from their LC to match Broncos, but I dont know who they have got on their bid team to know if they have any heavy hitters that can open the door to the multi million $ corporate sales they will need? Its all good having $100mill assets (no mention of liabilities I noted) but its cold hard cash availability every year that matters to an NRL club.

Anyone got a link to Dolphins annual report, I cant find it anywhere?

adamkungl

Immortal
It isnt really, its about 3% of most clubs annual revenue and not nearly enough for them to abandon their home and heritage. NRl had a rumored $8mill on the table for relocation back when clubs revenues were little more than $12mill and no one took it.

Ok maybe 1M would be too low. But 5M a year is probably too high.
Ultimately, if a club is in dire straights and needs to come to the negotiating table, the NRL has the option of just letting them fall over and starting a new club in the desired area. Relocation keeps a brand alive, but also comes with a lot of past baggage if it's a struggling club.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
They want to split their games between three stadiums, Suncorp, Dolphin Stadium, and Sunshine coast stadium. .

No they don't - this is the most recent article on the issue.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/22/dolphins-bid-nrl-ready-with-new-stadium-complete/

The Dolphins intend to play most of their games out of Suncorp Stadium with the new stadium (upgraded Dolphin Oval) to host a couple of games a year and to serve as the main training field for the NRL side.

ash the bash

Juniors
If the Dolphins tick the NRL's boxes then the SQ or North Brisbane Dolphins playing 11 games out of Suncorp and heritage round at Redcliffe certainly seems the best way to go (I say this without knowing how on the nose the Dolphins brand may be to other BRL clubs fans).
I am concerned about if they have the corporate pull they will need, they arent going to be able to rely on revenue from their LC to match Broncos, but I dont know who they have got on their bid team to know if they have any heavy hitters that can open the door to the multi million $ corporate sales they will need? Its all good having $100mill assets (no mention of liabilities I noted) but its cold hard cash availability every year that matters to an NRL club.

Anyone got a link to Dolphins annual report, I cant find it anywhere?

Its very hard to find I have tried looking, all I ever got was for one from 2016. Redcliffe Leagues club and it was not as impressive as I thought it would be. Roughly remembering was about a TR of 27 mil, with a profit of 300k. Just off the top of my head. Will try and search on ASIC.

To show my continued support for the Redcliffe Dolphins being admitted into the NRL, here's a picture of Japanese Pop Star Yuka Sugai.

You're welcome.

gg267746.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
Ultimately, if a club is in dire straights and needs to come to the negotiating table, the NRL has the option of just letting them fall over and starting a new club in the desired area. Relocation keeps a brand alive, but also comes with a lot of past baggage if it's a struggling club.

TBF if a club is in that position where they cant continue as they are then the NRl probably doesn't need to offer them anything! NRL owns the brand and the license. It would make for smoother transition and less ill feeling if the existing ownership agreed to it for sure so that's why you might try and offer some enticement. Its a bit different moving a club that has fallen over to trying to entice one that might be struggling to move before they go bust. That would take significant gains for the club and its owners to agree to it.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
that's all well and good but I hope they want to really challenge the Broncos to be the number 1 team in town, not just be a little brother who Broncos fans follow as a second team. Might not matter though, Titans could become the premier south east QLD team in a few years....

The Dolphins have an asset base larger than the Broncos already. It just depends if they can translate their famous brand into sponsorship and members. It is likely that they will be able to because they are a well run club in an underserviced Rugby League heartland. All the ingredients are there.

adamkungl

Immortal
TBF if a club is in that position where they cant continue as they are then the NRl probably doesn't need to offer them anything! NRL owns the brand and the license. It would make for smoother transition and less ill feeling if the existing ownership agreed to it for sure so that's why you might try and offer some enticement. Its a bit different moving a club that has fallen over to trying to entice one that might be struggling to move before they go bust. That would take significant gains for the club and its owners to agree to it.

Obviously the win-win result is to jump before you're pushed.
The Herald's analysis of the Sydney clubs earlier this year was iffy for a handful of clubs, but most grim for the Sea Eagles.
It's hard to believe 2020 has been any kinder to them than 2018 considering the state of the world.
I'm not saying that Manly should be forced to move, I'm asking how long they can afford not to.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...of-sydney-clubs-revealed-20200320-p54c71.html

upload_2020-10-8_16-17-52.png

MugaB

Coach
Hence why moving a club that can survive without being needed in its current area, would be the best idea for both the Central Coast or Adelaide etc, and for that club that got moved. :kissing_heart::kissing_heart: