What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

The Great Dane

First Grade
This looks so good and it just makes me sad to think how shitty the jersey culture of RL is....

It is fine (I guess...) for the clubs to slap sponsors on the chest (EPL, etc) OR for the clubs to keep changing their designs (My mind goes to the Marvel Superheors changing costumes every film). But both of them together just gives us shocker after shocker (Imagine if Marvel slapped on huge new sponsors across the chest every time the characters get a new costume).

Honestly, it think it would be a decent rule for the ARLC to say "Each club has a core Home/Away jumper that cannot even change year to year (maybe with special permission for brand reboots). Clubs can also do as many extra special event jerseys as they like, but NO SPONSORS on those event jerseys." Make them use a secondary club logo like this "Sharks" thing or Melbourne "Melbourne - Our Home" V.

They can sell as many units of dumb gimmicks as they like, but the dumb gimmicks are 100% focused on expanding the club brand, not making space for chest billboards...
So basically just kill the jersey market overnight because a miniscule minority of fans whom live in an echo chamber refuse to accept any design except for the "traditional" ones.
Yeah that's never going to happen, and nor should it, especially when which designs are accepted by this minority as the "traditional" ones is totally arbitrary and heavily influenced by nostalgia from their childhood.

Also you can keep whinging about sponsors all you like, but at the end of the day the NRL and clubs need the money, so they have a choice; either accept billboards on the kits and around the grounds, or accept changes to the rules to allow more time for stoppages to allow more time for ads.
I know which I'd prefer, and it isn't the game being corrupted by being split into quarters and a bunch of excuses for quick stoppages introduced.

Oh and those 'dumb gimmicks' (especially the Marvel jerseys) have done more to expose the NRL to new audiences than almost anything since the Tina Turner days, especially amongst younger people. You may not like them, can't say I'm a big fan myself (thought the Hulk jersey was very well done), but we weren't the target audience and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

hrundi99

First Grade
This looks so good and it just makes me sad to think how shitty the jersey culture of RL is....

It is fine (I guess...) for the clubs to slap sponsors on the chest (EPL, etc) OR for the clubs to keep changing their designs (My mind goes to the Marvel Superheors changing costumes every film). But both of them together just gives us shocker after shocker (Imagine if Marvel slapped on huge new sponsors across the chest every time the characters get a new costume).

Honestly, it think it would be a decent rule for the ARLC to say "Each club has a core Home/Away jumper that cannot even change year to year (maybe with special permission for brand reboots). Clubs can also do as many extra special event jerseys as they like, but NO SPONSORS on those event jerseys." Make them use a secondary club logo like this "Sharks" thing or Melbourne "Melbourne - Our Home" V.

They can sell as many units of dumb gimmicks as they like, but the dumb gimmicks are 100% focused on expanding the club brand, not making space for chest billboards...

This just shows complete ignorance of the NRL club business model.

Sure let's reduce our revenue streams in a pandemic. Makes sense.

flippikat

Bench
its the forbidden words but look to the AFL for how to do this

Home jersey's rarely if ever change but if they want to they can get creative with the clash

You got it. Keep the home jersey as iconic & traditional as possible, and go nuts with the alternate.

Look at the EPL football clubs - the home jersey us always basically the same - aside from minor things like trim or manufacturer templates, while the away is scope for some wild and/or wonderful ideas.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I am always amazed that in the $ driven world of NFL there is hardly any sponsorship at club level. Certainly not on their kits or around the stadiums. Its a balance I suppose. I dont buy jerseys because of butt ugly sponsors plastered on them, but then sponsorship pays better than merch sales so I dont suppose my club cares.

I think you can make subtle design changes as long as brand remains strong. Same club colours being the primary one.

shear_joy9

Coach
1d144d9c-75d6-4706-b83e-321e280eaa48-jpeg.42990
9be5e4d7-8de8-46e9-b800-24e0f5b3ceee-jpeg.42991

how the f**k do souths get away with calling that an away shirt? The main reason for away kits is to avoid a jersey clash with the opposition. Next they will just swap the green and red stripes and call that their away shirt.

Souths should be forced to wear an alternative jersey in Canberra. Just wearing different coloured shorts doesn't cut it

Last edited:

greenBV4

Bench

how the f**k do souths get away with calling that an away shirt? The main reason for away kits is to avoid a jersey clash with the opposition. Next they will just swap the green and red strips and call that their away shirt.

Souths should be forced to wear an alternative jersey in Canberra. Just wearing different coloured shorts doesn't cut it
yep, its a joke

also funny thing is swapping the red and green, and having a red trim, would be more of an adequate clash againt the raiders than just swapping red and black is

sempmrh

Juniors
I would imagine there would be less of a clash between Souths and the Raiders next year considering the new Raiders jersey - which I assume would be paired with navy shorts against the Souths white trimmed jersey and white shorts. But still - if the Raiders have to wear an alternate jersey when playing away against Souths, Souths should return the favour and wear something that actually contrasts when playing away. Why can they not just wear the white Minties jersey they wore for the Nines this year?

shear_joy9

Coach
I would imagine there would be less of a clash between Souths and the Raiders next year considering the new Raiders jersey - which I assume would be paired with navy shorts against the Souths white trimmed jersey and white shorts. But still - if the Raiders have to wear an alternate jersey when playing away against Souths, Souths should return the favour and wear something that actually contrasts when playing away. Why can they not just wear the white Minties jersey they wore for the Nines this year?

it also makes zero sense from a business perspective. There is going to very few people that would buy a home and away shirt because they look identical. No parents would buy their kids both,

How simple would it be to just call their indigenous jersey their away/alternate jersey. Represents half their playing team's background and would sell a shitload as it's being worn more than once a season.

s-l640.jpg

Saint Doc

Coach
All this stuff about “clubs should have a consistent home jersey”

Ummm Penrith, Canberra, Roosters, Souths, St George, Bulldogs, Sharks have all had very consistent home jerseys.

Knights have alternated between two classic home jerseys for many years.

Warriors and Cowboys have returned to a classic look.

Storm, Manly, Eels, Broncos have had variations recently but there is never any doubt as to which team is playing.

Tigers have struggled to work out their look but have been reasonably settled on the black (with gold/white vee) for awhile now.

It’s really only the Titans who have failed to create a fairly iconic home jersey.

I don’t think the problem is as big as people make out. Certainly nowhere near as bad as the mid 2000’s

Pommy

Coach

how the f**k do souths get away with calling that an away shirt? The main reason for away kits is to avoid a jersey clash with the opposition. Next they will just swap the green and red stripes and call that their away shirt.

The annual Souths away shirt outrage is my favourite kind of internet faux outrage.

Pommy

Coach
I am always amazed that in the $ driven world of NFL there is hardly any sponsorship at club level. Certainly not on their kits or around the stadiums. Its a balance I suppose. I dont buy jerseys because of butt ugly sponsors plastered on them, but then sponsorship pays better than merch sales so I dont suppose my club cares.

I think you can make subtle design changes as long as brand remains strong. Same club colours being the primary one.

In NFL there’s so little on field action what’s the point. Just pay for one of the adverts after every 20 seconds of play instead.

Reflector

Juniors
I liked Souths 2018 away jersey- the red with the dark green V. It was easy to distinguish against a team like the Raiders, but managed to be a classy looking away jersey that was still easily recognisable as a Souths jersey.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I liked Souths 2018 away jersey- the red with the dark green V. It was easy to distinguish against a team like the Raiders, but managed to be a classy looking away jersey that was still easily recognisable as a Souths jersey.
Wasn't an away jersey

Dawesy76

Juniors
So basically just kill the jersey market overnight because a miniscule minority of fans whom live in an echo chamber refuse to accept any design except for the "traditional" ones.
Yeah that's never going to happen, and nor should it, especially when which designs are accepted by this minority as the "traditional" ones is totally arbitrary and heavily influenced by nostalgia from their childhood.

Also you can keep whinging about sponsors all you like, but at the end of the day the NRL and clubs need the money, so they have a choice; either accept billboards on the kits and around the grounds, or accept changes to the rules to allow more time for stoppages to allow more time for ads.
I know which I'd prefer, and it isn't the game being corrupted by being split into quarters and a bunch of excuses for quick stoppages introduced.

Oh and those 'dumb gimmicks' (especially the Marvel jerseys) have done more to expose the NRL to new audiences than almost anything since the Tina Turner days, especially amongst younger people. You may not like them, can't say I'm a big fan myself (thought the Hulk jersey was very well done), but we weren't the target audience and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I wish I could like this more than once.

wazdog

Juniors

Really liked this jersey. It was a throwback from the 1975 preseason cup.

past_jerseys_1965.jpg

r0_269_4169_2613_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

I don't mind the home and away approach we have used for quite a while now. It works well with co-major sponsor approach and allows us to maintain the red and green hoops as the main feature of the jersey. I think the 2021 jersey is probably the best in terms of minimising the black and white on the jersey.

I also think that we shouldn't get away with using our usual jersey against the Raiders when playing away. I wouldn't mind seeing a reverse minties jersey being made for this game.

Dawesy76

Juniors
None of the roosters women’s jerseys today have ISC on them. Can’t see it as a ‘different’ jersey like the broncos women’s ISC to asics one, but it looks like they’ve moved on from them straight away.