What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2021 Jerseys, Sponsorship, Logos etc

The Great Dane

First Grade
So where does there sponsorship with dare stand?
They upgraded to the major sponsor.
Both Canberra Milk and Dare are Capital Chilled Foods brands.

What will almost certainly happen is Canberra Milk will be the major sponsor for one year, then they’ll go back to having one of their other products on the sleeve or shorts again from 2022.

GAZF

First Grade
The Raiders home/away jerseys aren't particularly offensive, but I get the feeling that the heritage jersey will get a lot of runs in the next two years. The heritage design is somehow even better the design its based on (excessive sponsors notwithstanding).

Timbo

Staff member
God, it looks as though that grey shouldered abomination will be the home jersey.

What a massive f**king own goal. Fair enough to Capitol Chilled Foods for wanting their current logo, but surely someone could explain to them how insanely well that retro jersey would sell if it were the primary? It’d be everywhere in Canberra.

The Great Dane

First Grade
God, it looks as though that grey shouldered abomination will be the home jersey.

What a massive f**king own goal. Fair enough to Capitol Chilled Foods for wanting their current logo, but surely someone could explain to them how insanely well that retro jersey would sell if it were the primary? It’d be everywhere in Canberra.
Hang on a minute, it’s very unlikely that Canberra Milk had much of a say at all on which jersey is used for what purpose and what colours are used on the jersey. Given the short turnaround since Huawei left it’s also highly likely that the jerseys had already been designed before Canberra Milk became the major sponsor anyway.

So why are we blaming Canberra Milk for something that they probably had little to no influence on?

Hang on a minute, it’s very unlikely that Canberra Milk had much of a say at all on which jersey is used for what purpose and what colours are used on the jersey. Given the short turnaround since Huawei left it’s also highly likely that the jerseys had already been designed before Canberra Milk became the major sponsor anyway.

So why are we blaming Canberra Milk for something that they probably had little to no influence on?

It’s not impossible, though. Manly’s Pepsi jersey and Parra’s M&M blue kit shows clubs are willing if the price is right. Given the economy atm and the rush to fill a sponsor gap, it’s quite possible CB had a say - quick turnaround not withstanding.

The Great Dane

First Grade
It’s not impossible, though. Manly’s Pepsi jersey and Parra’s M&M blue kit shows clubs are willing if the price is right. Given the economy atm and the rush to fill a sponsor gap, it’s quite possible CB had a say - quick turnaround not withstanding.
I didn’t say it was impossible, I said it was very unlikely.

Given how navy has never been part of Canberra Milk’s branding but the Raiders have been building up navy over the past 5 or so years it makes it even more unlikely that CM had anything to do with it.

I didn’t say it was impossible, I said it was very unlikely.

Given how navy has never been part of Canberra Milk’s branding but the Raiders have been building up navy over the past 5 or so years it makes it even more unlikely that CM had anything to do with it.

That was just for dramatic effect. Good point re blue btw.

yakstorm

First Grade
The Raiders jerseys designs most likely would have been submitted to NRL licensing months ago, arguably when Huawei was on board.

The cut off for the NRL for 2021 kits was around late June / early July, with the Bulldogs one of a number clubs who applied for extensions due to COVID-19. Whilst I'm not sure if the Raiders were part of that list, I doubt that they wouldn't have had a short list of kits fleshed out around then.

Huawei announced their decision to end their front of jersey sponsorship on August 31, not even a month ago, so Capital Chilled Foods wouldn't have had much ability to influence the direction the club had already started on.

That said, I'm sure if the club had its time over again, and knew that its 2021 sponsor was going to be Capital Chilled Foods, they may have changed what designs were picked for next year.

Now it will be interesting to see what happens in 2021... The NRL can't limit how many times a club elects to wear their heritage kit, and it wouldn't surprise me (unless Capital Chilled Foods puts up a protest) to see the heritage kit become a regular fixture for the Raiders next year.

On the new primary and alternate kits, whilst I do like the navy and it does compliment the Raiders' green, it feels a bit Brumbies like. I'm also disappointed that the white, gold, blue, white bands don't exist in anyway on the kit...

cooko

Juniors
Assuming the Raiders will be wearing grey shorts with the proposed home, navy with the away and white with the heritage.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Raiders jerseys designs most likely would have been submitted to NRL licensing months ago, arguably when Huawei was on board.

The cut off for the NRL for 2021 kits was around late June / early July, with the Bulldogs one of a number clubs who applied for extensions due to COVID-19. Whilst I'm not sure if the Raiders were part of that list, I doubt that they wouldn't have had a short list of kits fleshed out around then.

Huawei announced their decision to end their front of jersey sponsorship on August 31, not even a month ago, so Capital Chilled Foods wouldn't have had much ability to influence the direction the club had already started on.

That said, I'm sure if the club had its time over again, and knew that its 2021 sponsor was going to be Capital Chilled Foods, they may have changed what designs were picked for next year.

Now it will be interesting to see what happens in 2021... The NRL can't limit how many times a club elects to wear their heritage kit, and it wouldn't surprise me (unless Capital Chilled Foods puts up a protest) to see the heritage kit become a regular fixture for the Raiders next year.

On the new primary and alternate kits, whilst I do like the navy and it does compliment the Raiders' green, it feels a bit Brumbies like. I'm also disappointed that the white, gold, blue, white bands don't exist in anyway on the kit...

Surely they would have had the flexibility to tell the NRL that the heritage kit was now going to become the main kit though? Its not like it clashes with anyone. Regardless to put that monstrosity forward as the main kit is a bad call in the first place.

yakstorm

First Grade
Surely they would have had the flexibility to tell the NRL that the heritage kit was now going to become the main kit though? Its not like it clashes with anyone. Regardless to put that monstrosity forward as the main kit is a bad call in the first place.

From a logical perspective, what you're suggesting makes sense, however for whatever reason it appears that isn't the approach that has been taken (or at least we're not aware if it was attempted). Some reasons (as weak as they are) why they may have taken this approach include:
  • If the Heritage was now the Home, then what would the Home be classified as? (They may have an alternate which they haven't shown yet)
  • Could relate to what versions of the Canberra Milk logo are contracted to be on what kit type and the Raiders not wanting the new Canberra Milk logo being on a kit that is heritage inspired.
  • They have simply not thought or bothered to ask.

Canard

Immortal
Ah right. The same inspiration behind all these hilarious, quirky individuals who now call the PM Scotty From Marketing.

Because- wait for this-

a) His name is Scott

AND

b) He used to work in marketing!!!

Isn't that just the funniest shit ever!? But wait there's more-

Did you know (and I kid you not) he shit himself at Engadine Macca's once?!?!?

Even for LU, this is some extreme salt.

I'll have to ensure I keep calling him SFM from now on knowing how much it triggers Libs.

sempmrh

Juniors
I actually like the new Raiders jersey but that’s mainly just because I like the combination of lime green and that shade of navy. I’ve often suspected, however, that a major motivating factor for clubs changing jersey designs is so they can sell the new one to the diehards and then in a few years time bring back the ‘classic’ jersey due to ‘popular demand’.

The new jersey really does reinforce the Raiders’ updated branding, though.

GAZF

First Grade
I actually like the new Raiders jersey but that’s mainly just because I like the combination of lime green and that shade of navy. I’ve often suspected, however, that a major motivating factor for clubs changing jersey designs is so they can sell the new one to the diehards and then in a few years time bring back the ‘classic’ jersey due to ‘popular demand’.

The new jersey really does reinforce the Raiders’ updated branding, though.
The club could have taken this route post-2002, and people would not have been as up in arms about a departure from a more traditional look. However the club has stuck with a similar style for nearly 20 years after a 6 year blip, and they have probably the most consistent on-field identity of all of the expansion clubs that followed after the Bulldogs. Being crazy sucessful in that design plays a huge part in the desire to keep it that way as well.

Dawesy76

Juniors
Broncos women are wearing 90’s-esque broncos socks today. Perhaps what the men will have next year?

Last edited:

Latest posts