What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade
NRL 2020 Transfers: Cameron McInnes to Wests Tigers, Meeting with Michael Maguire, St George Illawarra Dragons | Fox Sports

Rival team make McInnes top priority after Dragons skipper meets with former coach

The Dragons face a huge decision in whether to keep hooker Cameron McInnes amid reports a rival club is circling.
Wide World of Sports reported on Tuesday that Wests Tigers are set to make McInnes their number one target for 2022.

It follows 1170 SEN Sydney confirming last week that McInnes met with Tigers coach Michael Maguire at a cafe.

It's paper talk, so not sure how legit it is?

Wizardman

First Grade
NRL 2020 Transfers: Cameron McInnes to Wests Tigers, Meeting with Michael Maguire, St George Illawarra Dragons | Fox Sports

Rival team make McInnes top priority after Dragons skipper meets with former coach

The Dragons face a huge decision in whether to keep hooker Cameron McInnes amid reports a rival club is circling.
Wide World of Sports reported on Tuesday that Wests Tigers are set to make McInnes their number one target for 2022.

It follows 1170 SEN Sydney confirming last week that McInnes met with Tigers coach Michael Maguire at a cafe.

It's paper talk, so not sure how legit it is?
No way....he offers nothing in attack. I'd rather keep fragile Liddle and get another cheapie than McInness. Heaps of hookers around who do a lot of tackles....not as many who are attacking minded.

Tiger Ted

Bench
No way....he offers nothing in attack. I'd rather keep fragile Liddle and get another cheapie than McInness. Heaps of hookers around who do a lot of tackles....not as many who are attacking minded.
We have adequate 9’s in our squad.What we don’t have & which are more pressing priorities is a 1 & a 7.

Tigerm

First Grade
I think Madge wants him by the sound of it. That will do me. I think he would add a hard edge to our pretty impressive forward pack.
Anyway, I think he is still signed for next year, so Liddle has a season to show his wares.

Wizardman

First Grade
We have adequate 9’s in our squad.What we don’t have & which are more pressing priorities is a 1 & a 7.
I trust Liddle talent-wise, I don't trust him durability wise. Plus, the talented QLD junior hooker we have is too young for first grade. I think we need to get a cheapie number 9 somewhere...someone who can go in tandem with Liddle...I just don't see Liddle lasting a season going 80 minutes a game.

Wizardman

First Grade
I think Madge wants him by the sound of it. That will do me. I think he would add a hard edge to our pretty impressive forward pack.
Anyway, I think he is still signed for next year, so Liddle has a season to show his wares.
Impressive forward pack? You are either being sarcastic or delusional. Which is it?

Tigerm

First Grade
Agree re: the 1 & 7, but you can only get them when they become available, hopefully Laurie will answer the 1 issue, but don't know that a lot of 7's are currently available?

How long has Brooks contract got left?

Tigerm

First Grade
Impressive forward pack? You are either being sarcastic or delusional. Which is it?
Realistic, but you are entitled to your opinion.

You only just stated that Liddle may not hold out, with our season possibly on the line, I want the best available that we can afford.

Wizardman

First Grade
Realistic, but you are entitled to your opinion.

You only just stated that Liddle may not hold out, with our season possibly on the line, I want the best available that we can afford.
I apologise for my rudeness. It is just that our pack always seems to get run over at the business end of the comp.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Agree re: the 1 & 7, but you can only get them when they become available, hopefully Laurie will answer the 1 issue, but don't know that a lot of 7's are currently available?

How long has Brooks contract got left?
Madge made the mind boggling decision last yr to gift brooks an extra 2 yrs so we r stuck with him until end of ‘23

Tigerm

First Grade
I apologise for my rudeness. It is just that our pack always seems to get run over at the business end of the comp.
Cool, but surely you must agree that the club's forwards have improved (or heading in the right direction) with some good signings for next season?

Tigerm

First Grade
Madge made the mind boggling decision last yr to gift brooks an extra 2 yrs so we r stuck with him until end of ‘23
Agree, that's a problem, but not many 7's available atm. Hopefully some future success will get some good halves attention.

Tigerm

First Grade
The Mole: Pearce on the outer at Newcastle over sexting scandal

By The Mole
3 hours ago

Some senior figures in the Newcastle club no longer want star halfback Mitchell Pearce at the club following his sexting scandal with a female employee.

Officials are concerned at a split that has developed in the playing group in the wake of the scandal - that saw Pearce’s fiancee call off their wedding this week - going public.

The staffer is a close friend of several players, most notably respected back-rower Lachlan Fitzgibbon, and his relationship with Pearce is now described as ‘icy’.

Officials are worried that the situation in the playing group will be untenable as a result of the scandal and are considering releasing Pearce to a rival NRL club.

A swap with another club for a playmaker is another option.

Pearce is already expected to be stripped of the Newcastle captaincy but some within the club believe harsher action is necessary to retain harmony among the playing group. The club’s players and staff are on Christmas/New Year break until January 4 but officials are assessing their options.

One possibility is to bring Cowboy Jake Clifford - who has signed with the Knights for 2022 - to the club a year early.

Another is Gareth Widdop, who is contracted to English club Warrington but is desperate to come back to Australia to be closer to his children.

But all this hinges on whether another club would be willing to pick up Pearce, who has a year to run on his deal.

At 31, he remains one of the most talented halfbacks in the competition and a fresh start may be the best thing for both him and the Knights.

Is he our answer?

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't want Pearce here at all. He has always come across to me as a spoiled brat and his behavior to me just confirms that.

If he was a quality player I'd take him but I don't see him being much better than Brooks and worse with less upside than AD.

Old tiger 79

Juniors
The Mole: Pearce on the outer at Newcastle over sexting scandal

By The Mole
3 hours ago

Some senior figures in the Newcastle club no longer want star halfback Mitchell Pearce at the club following his sexting scandal with a female employee.

Officials are concerned at a split that has developed in the playing group in the wake of the scandal - that saw Pearce’s fiancee call off their wedding this week - going public.

The staffer is a close friend of several players, most notably respected back-rower Lachlan Fitzgibbon, and his relationship with Pearce is now described as ‘icy’.

Officials are worried that the situation in the playing group will be untenable as a result of the scandal and are considering releasing Pearce to a rival NRL club.

A swap with another club for a playmaker is another option.

Pearce is already expected to be stripped of the Newcastle captaincy but some within the club believe harsher action is necessary to retain harmony among the playing group. The club’s players and staff are on Christmas/New Year break until January 4 but officials are assessing their options.

One possibility is to bring Cowboy Jake Clifford - who has signed with the Knights for 2022 - to the club a year early.

Another is Gareth Widdop, who is contracted to English club Warrington but is desperate to come back to Australia to be closer to his children.

But all this hinges on whether another club would be willing to pick up Pearce, who has a year to run on his deal.

At 31, he remains one of the most talented halfbacks in the competition and a fresh start may be the best thing for both him and the Knights.

Is he our answer?
No

Tigerm

First Grade
I don't want Pearce here at all. He has always come across to me as a spoiled brat and his behavior to me just confirms that.

If he was a quality player I'd take him but I don't see him being much better than Brooks and worse with less upside than AD.
I’m not sure about him either, but I think he is probably better than Brooks, the teams he plays in normally end up in the finals.

I don’t want dickheads in the club, but we do need to start achieving, the 7 appears to be a weak point in this, but if you discount every player whose allegedly a bit sleazy, you would not look at half the players in the comp.

Das Hassler

Bench
When we made serious enquiries about pierce when he exited the chooks he waved us off with a smug sneer...does anyone think he'd respect getting a lifeline from lowly WT?