What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Pre-Season

callmack1

Staff member
Hi guys
Great photos
just wanted to know when is the best day during week to see the players training,

the kids would love to see them run around and train, if someone know what days they train or they can personal message me that would be great .....
I have no idea of our schedule for sure mate but it seems the boys train most days.

Maybe email the club, I'm sure they'd be more than happy to give you more info.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Hi guys
Great photos
just wanted to know when is the best day during week to see the players training,

the kids would love to see them run around and train, if someone know what days they train or they can personal message me that would be great .....
Apparently they’re training this Friday morning at 9:15am.

Mate if you do get down to training give us a report please.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Premiership or bust as Latrell returns in star-studded backline: Rabbitohs best 17
NRL PREMIERSHIP

mark_st_john.jpg

Coach Wayne Bennett is in the last year of his deal at Souths.1280×720

Coach Wayne Bennett is in the last year of his deal at Souths.Source: News Corp Australia

South Sydney will be one of the premiership favourites heading into 2021 with a strong and deep squad, devastating backline and master coach Wayne Bennett leading the way.
The Rabbitohs have one of the most settled sides in the competition on paper and have plenty of depth should injuries strike.

Given the strength of their team the Rabbitohs were not overly active in the player market, but they have added representative players Jai Arrow and Josh Mansour, who will provide plenty of experience and strike power.

Souths have parted ways with a number of stars, including James Roberts to the Tigers, Corey Allan to the Bulldogs and Bayley Sironen to the Warriors, but it is hard to see any of them making the starting team if they were still at Redfern in 2021.

Joseph Suaalii’s defection to arch rivals the Roosters could prove costly down the track, but given he is no guarantee of playing in 2021 due to the NRL’s eligibility rules, the 17-year-old will likely not be a massive loss this season.

Coach Bennett has stood down from State of Origin duties with the Queensland Maroons in a bid to focus solely on the South Sydney premiership charge, which is a good sign for the club.

The biggest question mark will be how Bennett fits locks Cameron Murray and Jai Arrow into the same starting side.

Both Murray and Arrow’s best footy has come at No.13 and moving Murray to the second row last season blunted his attacking game with the increased defensive workload.

Most likely Murray will start at lock, but will spend time on the edge to give Arrow a chance to play his preferred position and to help with the bench rotation depending on the game situation and the opposition.

The Rabbitohs have made three preliminary finals in a row, but have lost all three and will be hoping to break their hoodoo and make a first grand final since 2014 when they last took out the title.

Given the depth in their squad, the Rabbitohs have what it takes to go all the way in 2021 and in Bennett’s last year at the club it is premiership or bust for Souths.

794254_640x360_large_20210114080506.jpg

Josh Mansour signs for Souths

THE STRENGTH

Star-studded backline. It is hard to believe one of the best attacking backlines in 2020 has gotten better, but the Rabbitohs have done just that.

The return of Latrell Mitchell from a long-term hamstring injury will add another dimension to Souths’ attacking game which still smashed the Roosters 60-8 without him last year.

That is a scary proposition alone, but the addition of former representative star Josh Mansour has made the South Sydney backline arguably the most complete in the NRL on paper.

Souths now have five current or former Kangaroos in their team in Mitchell, Alex Johnston, Dane Gagai and Mansour, while Adam Reynolds and Cody Walker have represented the Blues in State of Origin and Campbell Graham was only denied a NSW debut through injury last year.

There will be some growing pains as Mitchell and Mansour come into the backline, but given the class of all seven players it is going to be fun to watch when they click.

Expect plenty of tries for the Rabbitohs in 2021 and Reynolds has to be favourite to win the point-scoring title given the amount of conversions he is likely to get.

THE PRESSURE IS ON

Wayne Bennett and Jai Arrow. Master coach Bennett enters the last year of his deal at South Sydney and possibly his last in rugby league as a head coach.

Bennett’s record speaks for itself having won 533 games in the NRL and a record seven premierships, but his last title was 11 years ago with the Dragons.

That is a long time between drinks for Bennett who has lost the 2013 preliminary final with the Knights, the 2015 Grand Final with the Broncos and the last two preliminary finals with the Rabbitohs since last tasting premiership glory.

The knock on the 71-year-old is that his old-school style is outdated, particularly when it comes to the big end of season games where defending strongly and completing your sets doesn’t always lead to premiership success these days.

Bennett needs a bit of luck with injuries that has eluded him in recent seasons, but he also needs to let his brilliant backline chance their arm in the big games and not just play percentages.

Arrow was targeted by Souths as an ideal replacement for Sam Burgess, which puts plenty of pressure on him before a ball has been kicked.

With Cameron Murray in the team, Arrow doesn’t have a clear path to his preferred position and will need to be flexible in playing on the edge and in the front row just as Burgess did.

The 25-year-old gives the Rabbitohs the size and power to match it with some of the bigger packs in the NRL, but he needs to work on his consistency from week to week, which wasn’t always there at the Titans.

If Arrow can produce what he did for the Maroons last season on a weekly basis at club level then the Rabbitohs will be a scary proposition for opposition sides.

But if he can’t adjust to his new role then the Rabbitohs pack could be a little disjointed.

Coach Wayne Bennett is in the last year of his deal at Souths.1280×720

Coach Wayne Bennett is in the last year of his deal at Souths.Source: News Corp Australia

THE RISING STAR

Keaon Kolomatangi. The 22-year-old debuted last season and was a revelation off the bench for Souths to help with a mid to late season injury crisis.

Kolomatangi was impressive in 14 games in his first season in the top grade and was a metre-eating colossus when he came on.

The young gun provides the Rabbitohs with a point of difference off the bench and has the power and strength to provide a platform for Damien Cook to open up opposition defences when they tire at the end of each half.

The next step for Kolomatangi is to add an offload and passing game to his repertoire, which will make him near on impossible to contain.

Rabbits20

Immortal
THE UNLUCKY ONES

Jaxson Paulo, Braidon Burns, Tautau Moga, Steven Marsters. All four players would likely be in first grade at most other NRL clubs, but they are stuck behind a formidable back five at the Rabbitohs.

Mansour’s addition to the squad is likely to cost incumbent Paulo a spot in the team and given Johnston was the leading try scorer last season, Dane Gagai looks set to continue in the centre position.

That leaves one of Bennett’s favourites in Burns and recruit Moga on the outer if everyone is fit and Marsters is stuck behind Graham, Burns and Moga in the centre pecking order.

Paulo is perhaps the most unlucky after scoring four tries in 13 games last season and impressing at the back end of the year after Mitchell’s injury.

Injuries are a part of footy so all four players will have a role to play throughout the season, but if everyone is fit it is hard to see them cracking the top 17.

IT’S A BIG YEAR FOR

Latrell Mitchell. Rightly or wrongly the spotlight always seems to shine on the Rabbitohs fullback and 2021 will be no different.

Last year the question mark on Mitchell was could he make the transition from centre to fullback and he well and truly rose to the challenge before injury prematurely ended his season.

This year the question will be can Mitchell return to his best after a long-term injury and fit in to the Souths backline that performed so well in his absence.

Given his form before his hamstring injury the answer is most definitely yes, but it could take time for him to reach peak fitness.

Many experts believe Mitchell could have been the difference between the Rabbitohs bowing out in the preliminary final and going all the way last season.

If he can stay fit in 2021 the 23-year-old will test that theory and he could be the star power that pushes the Rabbitohs over the top and leads them to a first title since 2014.

Mitchell’s evolution as a fullback will be under the microscope again in 2021 and look for him to provide plenty of try assists for Johnston and Mansour.

If Mitchell is fit and firing the Rabbitohs can win the title, but if not then they may struggle to go one better than a fourth straight preliminary final.

RABBITOHS BEST 17

1 Latrell Mitchell

2 Alex Johnston

3 Dane Gagai

4 Campbell Graham

5 Josh Mansour

6 Cody Walker

7 Adam Reynolds

8 Tom Burgess

9 Damien Cook

10 Tevita Tatola

11 Jaydn Su’A

12 Jai Arrow

13 Cameron Murray

14 Liam Knight

15 Jed Cartwright

16 Keaon Kolomatangi

17 Mark Nicholls

2021 squad : Jai Arrow, Tom Burgess, Braidon Burns, Jed Cartwright, Damien Cook, Joshua Cook, Troy Dargan, Dane Gagai, Campbell Graham, Jacob Host, Dean Hawkins, Alex Johnston, Liam Knight, Keaon Kolomatangi, Patrick Mago, Josh Mansour, Steven Marsters, Taane Milne, Latrell Mitchell, Tautau Moga, Cameron Murray, Mark Nicholls, Adam Reynolds, Hame Sele, Jaydn Su’A, Tevita Tatola, Cody Walker

2021 gains : Josh Mansour (Panthers), Jacob Host (Dragons), Taane Milne (Warriors), Jai Arrow (Titans), Tautau Moga (Knights)

2021 losses : Corey Allan (Bulldogs), Jack Johns (Knights), Bayley Sironen (Warriors), Ethan Lowe (retirement), James Roberts (Tigers), Joseph Suaalii (Roosters), Tom Amone, Cory Denniss, Kurt Dillon, Ky Rodwell

Robbie 12

Juniors
Apparently they’re training this Friday morning at 9:15am.

Mate if you do get down to training give us a report please.

thank guys, ill try my best, I hope i can get close enough, they had a big workers fencing around the park last week, so hope i can get closer and see who is who

Rabbits20

Immortal
I think we are better off with Arrow at prop and Murray at lock.

My view on our best pack for round 1!

Arrow
Cook
Tom
Su’a
Koloamatangi
Murray

Tatola
Knight
Jed/Host
Nicholls

Sele
Host/Jed
Mago
Amone

handyman2190

Bench

Arrow
Cook
Tom
Su’a
Koloamatangi
Murray

Tatola
Knight
Jed/Host
Nicholls

Sele
Host/Jed
Mago
Amone
I would not burn Arrow up at prop in the opening 20m
Tom and junior are bigger bodies,id play arrow in the back row were he can tackle and stiffen the defence

DynamicRabbit1

Juniors
I t

Arrow
Cook
Tom
Su’a
Koloamatangi
Murray

Tatola
Knight
Jed/Host
Nicholls

Sele
Host/Jed
Mago
Amone
I think starting Arrow at Lock and Murray on edge outside Cody with Junior and Tom at Prop is best.
Then rotate Cam back into Lock later

I agree that both Arrow and Murray should be playing in the middle, both would be wasted on a edge in my humble opinion.

Our middle forwards on paper are exceptional, however I worry that we only have one quality second rower in Sua, is this host bloke from dragons the man to take the other spot?

I rate Koloamatangi highly but have only ever viewed him as a impact middle forward , he is somebody that with a big pre season could take it to a whole new level , is he actually training at left edge does anybody know?

8.arrow
9.cook
10.murray
11.host
12.sua
13.koloamatangi

14.burgess
15.tatola
16.knight
17. (Whoever deserves it most)

Almost certain this will be our round one team and I am quite happy with it.
Anything less than a premiership is a disappointment.

1. Latrell
2. Johnston
3. Gagai
4. Graham
5. Mansour
6. Walker
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Burgess
9. Cook
10. Tatola
11. Sau
12. Murray
13. Arrow

14. Koloamatangi
15. Knight
16. Nichols
17. Host / Cartwright

handyman2190

Bench
I view Arrow as a straight up the middle runner and a defensive workhorse, playing him as a second rower shouldnt be a problem leaving murray in his best position

DynamicRabbit1

Juniors
I view Arrow as a straight up the middle runner and a defensive workhorse, playing him as a second rower shouldnt be a problem leaving murray in his best position
You just somewhat contradicted yourself stating Arrow is a straight up middle runner and then playing him on an edge as a second rower???

If he is a middle runner then he should play in the middle at lock or prop.

I think Murray is more mobile and agile and would be very dangerous outside Cody. It would also leave Cam fresher for later in the game where he could be moved into lock to work off Cook

Travitoh

First Grade
I'd have Arrow at prop and Murray at lock. Defensively, Arrow can take a chunk of defensive responsibility from Murray and Cook, leaving them a bit fresher to charge up the middle in attack.

Latest posts