What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings And News

Rabbit57

Juniors
Wants to play 9. Won't happen.
Agree it won’t happen but would be great. By the way working in a forward rotation with two hookers would be better than a 3 man Hooker rotation at the Storm. But again, you are right, it won’t happen

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Agree it won’t happen but would be great. By the way working in a forward rotation with two hookers would be better than a 3 man Hooker rotation at the Storm. But again, you are right, it won’t happen
if he signed on as a lock we already have 2 of those. Would be good for impact though

Don’t get too greedy lads!!

As for Sams domestic issues, seems to that there’s more interest from people trying to make money out of it that actual combatants.

These family arguments are rampant all over the country.

There’s some issues that haven’t been given too much media attention and for mine they don’t exactly lead to the conclusion Sam is the devil incarnate.

I’m holding my fire on Judgment of the big guy.

Last edited:

handyman2190

Bench
Don’t get too greedy lads!!

As for Sams domestic issues, seems to that there’s more interest from people trying to make money out of it that actual combatants.

These family arguments are rampant all over the country.

There’s some issues that haven’t been given too much media attention and for mine they don’t exactly lead to the conclusion Sam is the devil incarnate.

I’m holding my fire on Judgment of the big guy.

Sorry big boy!! U cant come on our forum and call sam ,the devil incarnate, he is a rabbitohs legend and as such should not be bagged on speculation.
I actually believe what he describes happened, and this father in law who supposedly eliminated the rudd government single handed was afraid and shaking and unnerved,what BS.
Please dont talk detrimental stuff unless its fact.

Wizardman

First Grade
Sam certainly did some pretty shit behaviour over the years and stuff that would piss off any wife.....that is pretty indisputable. I would say that any person here who has a partner would not cop some of the shit Sam has done.
In saying that, the ex and father-in-law have conducted themselves pretty disgracefully in the aftermath.

Both parties have contributed to this shitstorm they find themselves in.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Sorry big boy!! U cant come on our forum and call sam ,the devil incarnate, he is a rabbitohs legend and as such should not be bagged on speculation.
I actually believe what he describes happened, and this father in law who supposedly eliminated the rudd government single handed was afraid and shaking and unnerved,what BS.
Please dont talk detrimental stuff unless its fact.

Hey mate he wasn’t calling him the devil incarnate, that was the point

handyman2190

Bench
Hey mate he wasn’t calling him the devil incarnate, that was the point
Point taken,im a little sensitive,because whilst sam is no choir boy it takes 2 to tango,and i believe him when he says hooke threatened to destroy his career, he had enough sense from all his trembling and distraughtness to call a media pr and his lawyer,then the police, and phebe called him quite a few choice animal names and no guts to face him with the kids, so its not all sam and reeks of a setup

Wizardman

First Grade
I read an interesting interview with Reynolds saying he thought the 2013 Souths side was better than the 2014. I personally thought it was just as good...trhey just missed a trick against Manly that year.

Jim Rockford

Bench
I read an interesting interview with Reynolds saying he thought the 2013 Souths side was better than the 2014. I personally thought it was just as good...trhey just missed a trick against Manly that year.
Yeah, I saw that too and thought it was an interesting read.

Travitoh

First Grade
Sam certainly did some pretty shit behaviour over the years and stuff that would piss off any wife.....that is pretty indisputable. I would say that any person here who has a partner would not cop some of the shit Sam has done.
In saying that, the ex and father-in-law have conducted themselves pretty disgracefully in the aftermath.

Both parties have contributed to this shitstorm they find themselves in.

Great summary of the situation.

Some of the behaviour from the Hookes does appear poor but it is all a reaction to Sam's actions.

Souths legend or not, this situation has nothing to do with the club and shouldn't be discussed as if it was. This is a societal problem, not football.

callmack1

Staff member
Mundine says Rabbitohs must ‘move heaven and Earth’ to keep Mitchell: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/mu...d-earth-to-keep-mitchell-20210123-p56wc8.html

‘It’s on the table’ - NRL CEO Andrew Abdo outlines plan for expansion and transfer window: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/033fbacff9dbdb0326ed313db0858bc9

Wayne Bennett talks 2021 at the Rabbitohs and South Sydney’s succession planning

In his final year at the Rabbitohs, Wayne Bennett reveals how South Sydney is shaping up in 2021 and what is next for the super coach.

Travis Meyn

January 23, 2021 - 6:00AM
For the second straight season, the South Sydney Rabbitohs went within a game of the NRL grand final.

The Rabbitohs fell just short in losing to Penrith in last year’s preliminary final following what was a promising season for coach Wayne Bennett’s team.

Bennett will oversee the Rabbitohs for the final time in 2021 before he hands over the role to assistant Jason Demetriou and embarks on the next stage of his career.

Wayne, how is the squad looking with a shorter pre-season to prepare for 2021?

They’re not all back here yet but everyone who has come back is in pretty good shape.

The Rabbitohs made the preliminary finals last year before losing to minor premiers Penrith. When you look back on 2020 what are your thoughts on the season? Were you happy?

Not really. We improved as the season went on so that was the upside for us, I suppose.

Were you not happy because you didn’t win the premiership?

(Laughs). There is a lot more in this side than we are showing at the moment so that’s the challenge.

You’ve signed Queensland Origin forward Jai Arrow (Titans) and Josh Mansour (Panthers) and released a few players like James Roberts (Tigers) and Corey Allan (Bulldogs), what do you think about your roster?

I think we’ve got a pretty strong squad this year. We’ve had a few other players come in as well, without the big names. We’ve got a very balanced and reasonably strong squad.

Latrell Mitchell missed the back end of the season with a bad hamstring injury and Cam Murray suffered a similar injury in State of Origin. How are they?

Everyone that should be back training is back and Latrell is in one of those categories. Cam Murray had a major injury in the State of Origin as well and he is back training. They’re all good.

How do you feel about 2021 being your last year?

Where did you come to that conclusion?

Isn’t it your last year as coach of the Rabbitohs?

It’s my last year at the Rabbitohs, yes.

Does it feel any different to other years?

No.

What are your plans for next year?

I’ve got none right now.

What will you be doing?

No idea but I’ll be in football somewhere.

Will you come back to Brisbane?

We’ll see what happens.

Jason Demetriou will take over as South Sydney head coach next year. Will there be any changes this year in the way you work together?

No.

How is he shaping up to take over the role?

No idea.

Are you throwing him to the wolves next year?

I doubt that.

Will he be ready?

Absolutely.

Why?

They wouldn’t have appointed him and I wouldn’t have endorsed him if I didn’t think he would be ready to coach in the NRL.

What have you made of your two years so far at South Sydney? Most people would say two preliminary finals appearances is a good effort.

There is still a lot to be done here.

Can you elaborate?

No.

Thanks, Wayne. Good luck.

Thanks.

Mr Spock!

Referee
In reality that 2014 Bulldogs team was one of the weakest grand final teams I've seen.

Ennis was out and their attacking options were James Graham playing half and big Williams. It really did have a sense of inevitability about it.

Rabbits20

Immortal
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/la...ear-1-75m-rabbitohs-deal-20210124-p56whv.html

Latrell Mitchell set to sign two-year, $1.75m Rabbitohs deal

South Sydney superstar Latrell Mitchell is set to sign a two-year, $1.75 million extension to remain at the club until the end of 2023.

Mitchell, who joined the Rabbitohs from arch rivals Sydney Roosters last year, has agreed to a deal worth around $875,000 a season.

It comes as the Panthers look set to retain five-eighth Jarome Luai on a three-year, $2.2 million extension, while the manager of Eels winger Maika Sivo emailed clubs last week seeking expressions of interest for 2022.

Mitchell was set to earn in excess of $900,000 a year in 2022 and 2023, but his new deal is set to reflect last week’s NRL announcement, which saw the sport finalise a revised collective bargaining agreement with a six per cent reduction in the salary cap to deal with the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

Mitchell was in sublime touch in the weeks before he suffered a hamstring injury against Parramatta saw him miss the club’s finals campaign. Mitchell started the year off slowly but was beginning to justify the club’s faith in him to wear the No.1 jersey before he was struck down through injury.

The Rabbitohs paid around $600,000 for Mitchell in 2020, with the Roosters chipping in around $200,000 of his salary before he was released. The news is a huge boost for South Sydney ahead of what shapes as a crucial year for the club. Coach Wayne Bennett will finish up at the end of the year, while Adam Reynolds, Dane Gagai, Braidon Burns, Jaydn Su’A and Tevita Tatola are all off contract.

Like South Sydney, Penrith are also in the process of locking up their biggest stars. Centre Stephen Crichton has all but agreed to a three year extension. A similar deal awaits Luai, while the club is also in negotiations with Isaah Yeo.

Yeo and Nathan Cleary are the frontrunners to replace James Tamou as Penrith captain, with the Penrith lock set to be rewarded for his 2020 campaign with a significant increase in his extension with the club.

The Panthers are also considering signing Wests Tigers back Paul Momirovski in a deal which would potentially allow fullback Daine Laurie the opportunity to leave immediately and link up with the joint venture club.

Laurie has asked for a release from the final year of his deal with the Panthers but the club is adamant both he and Canterbury-bound Matt Burton will see out 2020 at Penrith. That could change, at least in the case of Laurie, if Penrith find a suitable replacement. Burton, a renowned five-eighth, is expected to start the year in the centres in place of Brent Naden.

Travitoh

First Grade
In reality that 2014 Bulldogs team was one of the weakest grand final teams I've seen.

Ennis was out and their attacking options were James Graham playing half and big Williams. It really did have a sense of inevitability about it.

Agree. I remember going out that night feeling certain of a Souths premiership. It was won in the weeks leading upto it against Manly and Easts.

Jim Rockford

Bench
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/la...ear-1-75m-rabbitohs-deal-20210124-p56whv.html

Latrell Mitchell set to sign two-year, $1.75m Rabbitohs deal

South Sydney superstar Latrell Mitchell is set to sign a two-year, $1.75 million extension to remain at the club until the end of 2023.

Mitchell, who joined the Rabbitohs from arch rivals Sydney Roosters last year, has agreed to a deal worth around $875,000 a season.

It comes as the Panthers look set to retain five-eighth Jarome Luai on a three-year, $2.2 million extension, while the manager of Eels winger Maika Sivo emailed clubs last week seeking expressions of interest for 2022.

Mitchell was set to earn in excess of $900,000 a year in 2022 and 2023, but his new deal is set to reflect last week’s NRL announcement, which saw the sport finalise a revised collective bargaining agreement with a six per cent reduction in the salary cap to deal with the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

Mitchell was in sublime touch in the weeks before he suffered a hamstring injury against Parramatta saw him miss the club’s finals campaign. Mitchell started the year off slowly but was beginning to justify the club’s faith in him to wear the No.1 jersey before he was struck down through injury.

The Rabbitohs paid around $600,000 for Mitchell in 2020, with the Roosters chipping in around $200,000 of his salary before he was released. The news is a huge boost for South Sydney ahead of what shapes as a crucial year for the club. Coach Wayne Bennett will finish up at the end of the year, while Adam Reynolds, Dane Gagai, Braidon Burns, Jaydn Su’A and Tevita Tatola are all off contract.
Fantastic news!

Latest posts