What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy Straya Day

This has pretty much been a recent thing whereas it could have been raised any time in the last 200 years. Maybe it was but I'm not aware.

Its impossible to argue that they were not invaded.

I've lived amongst indigenous people and it was never even discussed, I'm talking prior to millennials.

Why do you think that is ?

Protests recognised in the media go back to at least 1938 (the year of the sesqui-centenary or however it's spelt), and likely preceded that.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01...ver-have-a-reason-to-rejoice-this-day/9339738

I remember nne (aboriginal) kid I went to school with commented on it in our Modern History class, but it wasn't exactly a protest.

Noise

Coach
That's right. Some people may have had loved ones who were cremated and candles will trigger painful memories
Shit that means we can't have a party on the day of the cremation either. Or the day they scattered the ashes.

It’s saddens me when we as a nation are constantly giving in to the minorities.

The suggestion the other day from that irrelevant lefty soft c**k that it should be changed to the same day as the Mabo decision is also not the right day as it would do the same and even worse and alienate the majority of Australians.

Keep Australia Day as is but once Scotland leaves the UK the Union Jack will be obsolete. That’s when we should consider possibly changing the flag.

Yeh, well unlike other minorities, this minority was here before all of us (non-indigenous) chaps, and had their lives turned upside down by behavior that was blatantly illegal under the English law of the day. And while things have got massively better for many, they continue to get the wrong end of the stick much more often than you and I. You don't need to be a lefty soft cock to be a decent bloke.

I wouldn't move it to Mabo Day, but perhaps February 13 so the drunken new lovers can back up the next day. And every 7 years it'll be a Black Friday, which could work for all.

Noise

Coach
Just make it the last weekend of Summer a day . Friday and Monday off and 99.9% will be on board.
A 4 day weekend would be sweet. I’m pretty sure NSW has less public holidays than every other state. Therefor other states only get 3 days.

84 Baby

Referee
Did Dr Ungunmerr say “I can’t breathe” and those in attendance laughed? Where’s the f**ken outrage????

Avenger

Immortal
Yeh, well unlike other minorities, this minority was here before all of us (non-indigenous) chaps, and had their lives turned upside down by behavior that was blatantly illegal under the English law of the day. And while things have got massively better for many, they continue to get the wrong end of the stick much more often than you and I. You don't need to be a lefty soft c**k to be a decent bloke.

I wouldn't move it to Mabo Day, but perhaps February 13 so the drunken new lovers can back up the next day. And every 7 years it'll be a Black Friday, which could work for all.
Every country was invaded at one time or another and crimes were inevitably always committed. And to give them a Black Friday with absolutely no cultural or historical connection is a nonsense.

Avenger

Immortal
Lets say you lived in a shared house with 10 people. And they decided to have a party. They set the date and its the same day one of your loved ones died. Maybe your Mother or Father. So you suggest if we are having a party I can't celebrate that day and make them aware of the reason. And as an alternative ask if it's OK if we make it another day so I can join in and also have fun.
You are the minority. How would you like the other 9 to react?
I celebrate and honour the day Christ was killed and later resurrected as does most of the Christian faith. Plenty who don’t even believe in it still take a nice 4 day mega long weekend and eat plenty of chocolate eggs. Why don’t we change that day too?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I celebrate and honour the day Christ was killed and later resurrected as does most of the Christian faith. Plenty who don’t even believe in it still take a nice 4 day mega long weekend and eat plenty of chocolate eggs. Why don’t we change that day too?
I know you were responding to Hindy's hypothetical, but I don't changing Easter is the same as changing Australia Day.

Plenty of indigenous and non-indigenous folk want it changed. I reckon it will happen eventually.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What does it mean to you ?

Beer and Barbie ?

Do you support our first nation's people's claim that it represents invasion day ?

Or all of the above ?
Definitely an invasion day, much like Gallipoli. Some merkins will celebrate and others commemorate. Without the invasion most of us would be living in the mud somewhere like Dagenham or New Belgrade. Absolute shitholes. So we have plenty to celebrate.

Every country was invaded at one time or another and crimes were inevitably always committed. And to give them a Black Friday with absolutely no cultural or historical connection is a nonsense.

Yeh the Black Friday bit was not serious.....

The point here is that the current date for our national celebration is rubbing their noses in it.

And the date itself basically has no other great relevance as a nation building exercise. It's the day when the First Fleet sailed into Botany Bay and realised that is was a shithouse place to set up camp. January 28 is when Sydney was established. January 1 is when we became a sovereign nation. But we couldn't interrupt a piss up could we?

If Country X invaded Serbia, brought in lots of immigrants, became the majority and declared Serbia Day as the date of that invasion, would you be happy? After 100 years would you say what you have just said in the post above?

Indigenous people in this country still cop unjustified shit. Case in point Adam Goodes. He has had to put up with animals.

strider

Post Whore
Im sure theres a fair chance all the christian days will go bye bye in our life time