What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

Do you care if Israel Folau returns to the NRL?

• I want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 60 17.2%
  • I don't want him back in the NRL.

Votes: 113 32.4%
  • I couldn't care less if he returns or not.

Votes: 176 50.4%

• Total voters

Bazal

Post Whore
St George Illawarra choose to employ him, not the NRL. The NRL is just a body representing 16 clubs. They need legal grounds to deny a player registration.

Actually the NRL is the ultimate owner of the license and therefore has the same powers as any employer in the same situation. St George could choose to offer him employment but it may need to be ratified by the overarching entity.

Previous history is a perfectly legal reason to deny employment.

The_Frog

First Grade
St George could choose to offer him employment but it may need to be ratified by the overarching entity.
Precisely. And if they decline they may need to justify that decision in a court, in the absence of any offence or allegation of committing an offence that might prove problematical, especially with the English Super League having registered him. Rugby Australia went through all this and ended up just settling. This is why Vlandys is being somewhat more circumspect than previously.

Bazal

Post Whore
Precisely. And if they decline they may need to justify that decision in a court, in the absence of any offence or charges that might prove problematical. Rugby Australia went through all this and ended up just settling. This is why Vlandys is being somewhat more circumspect than previously.

You dismiss your own argument with the section of my post you chose not to quote.

Past history is a perfectly legal reason to deny a prospective employee employment. No different to getting a bad reference, it's just that Izzy was dumb enough to post his own bad reference publicly

The_Frog

First Grade
Past history is a perfectly legal reason to deny a prospective employee employment. No different to getting a bad reference, it's just that Izzy was dumb enough to post his own bad reference publicly
It wasn't enough for Rugby Australia to be able to terminate him, they had to pay him out. Why would it be enough now?

Bazal

Post Whore
It wasn't enough for Rugby Australia to be able to terminate him, they had to pay him out. Why would it be enough now?

Well it was, because they did.

They entered a voluntary settlement agreement. It was never ordered by the FWC or the Courts, not was the termination ever rules to be in breach of any Act or law. You would have to ask them their reasons for that.

It's also an entirely different matter to terminate an existing employee as against not hiring a prospective one.

Eion

First Grade
Bwhahahaha. Thank you so much dragons. As a sharks supporter you’ve made my day twice. Muchos gracious

The_Frog

First Grade
They entered a voluntary settlement agreement.
You are right. It was an agreed settlement acceptable to both parties. But do you think they would have agreed to settle with him had their legal eagles advised that they were on a firm legal footing in terminating him? Or would they have gone to court looking to not pay him anything?

This is why Super League registered him although they'd prefer not to have. It might not have reached a decision in court but it didn't need to.

Bazal

Post Whore
You are right. It was an agreed settlement. But do you think they would have agreed to settle with him had their legal eagles advised that they were on a firm legal footing in terminating him? Or would they have gone to court looking to not pay him anything?

Given the publicity the case had already generated? And given how many stone-dwellers dragged themselves out of their caves to slam them for terminating a bigot?

Abso-f**king-lutely. Happens every day at the FWC. Court is an expensive, arduous, and in this case very public process.

Does that mean that was 100% the case here? Of course not. But you're being disingenuous suggesting that they weren't able to terminate him. They did.

The_Frog

First Grade
Given the publicity the case had already generated? And given how many stone-dwellers dragged themselves out of their caves to slam them for terminating a bigot?

Bigots slamming bigots, who then slammed back. Funny thing about bigotry. Those who accuse others of it are invariably themselves the worst offenders.

Abso-f**king-lutely. Happens every day at the FWC. Court is an expensive, arduous, and in this case very public process.

Does that mean that was 100% the case here? Of course not. But you're being disingenuous suggesting that they weren't able to terminate him. They did.
Yes they did. And it cost them money that they really could not afford. The same principle applies here but this won't be about money so won't be able to be settled with dollars. Will Vlandys refuse to register him, risking court action and likely defeat, after what has happened already? I'm sure he has already chatted to Rugby and the ESL about this. We'll see.

Eion

First Grade
It’s an interesting one. No way Toddles takes the risk of media backlash on this...but PVL is a different story.

He’d still be mad to ratify Falou though. Falou created the shitstorm around himself completely unprovoked in a union media landscape far less hostile than the NRL. How do you reckon he’ll go with Hopper, Buzz, Kent, Weedler et al shoving microphones in his face after some sound bites?

Disaster waiting to happen. Fingers crossed.

Bazal

Post Whore
Bigots slamming bigots, who then slammed back. Funny thing about bigotry. Those who accuse others of it are invariably themselves the worst offenders.

Yes they did. And it cost them money that they really could not afford. The same principle applies here but this won't be about money so won't be able to be settled with dollars. Will Vlandys refuse to register him, risking court action and likely defeat, after what has happened already? I'm sure he has already chatted to Rugby and the ESL about this. We'll see.

Likely defeat based on what law or act? He will be electing to not employ a prospective employee based on past behaviour.

I hope he stands his ground. f**k Folau, he had enough chances not be a divisive, bigoted ass.

The_Frog

First Grade
Rugby league isn't the communist PC AFL - rugby league is for people of all races and religions. That's why Folau MUST be registered. Only a bigot would disagree.
He has plenty of sympathizers in the sport, especially Polynesian players. Unlike him, they keep their heads down which I sincerely hope he does as well. Sadly the media will be on him at every opportunity. Maybe Hook should place a media ban on him for his own good, because they are going to bait him.

Smug Panther

First Grade
He has plenty of sympathizers in the sport, especially Polynesian players. Unlike him, they keep their heads down which I sincerely hope he does as well. Sadly the media will be on him at every opportunity. Maybe Hook should place a media ban on him for his own good, because they are going to bait him.
The f**kwit has had media bans before but it never stops the hate filled merkin.

f**k him off. If he comes, I will really feel bad for Dragons fans that will feel less involved because they have a POS in their team.

The_Frog

First Grade
The f**kwit has had media bans before but it never stops the hate filled merkin.
I understand your disdain for religious folk, you've made that clear for years, but the sport is not going to be able to refuse to allow him to play, especially as he's an existing player in another competition who has been a model citizen therein.

flippikat

Bench
It's also an entirely different matter to terminate an existing employee as against not hiring a prospective one.

THIS - precisely, exactly THIS.

It's ultimately the employer's choice as to who they hire. It's completely at their discretion - and if his social media history doesn't align with the NRL's corporate values, then his CV may as well be toilet paper.