What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Once a dickhead.....

rule is fundamentally undermined.

Most Australians do not yet understand how far or powerful the identity politics movement has already advanced. Only 53% of college studentsa bare majoritystill support freedom of speech today. This is truly alarming. Judicial and regulatory precedents for limiting speech are already on the books, and they can and likely will be used to restrict even private speech. These legal standards will be exploited in the coming years by activists and the administrative state; and Big Tech companies, whose platforms have become an essential venue for public deliberation, will continue to implement bans following a similar logic.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
I agree with what you're saying.

But this is the same NRL that thought it was appropriate to celebrate Junior Paulo's try against Brisbane in round 1 on Twitter with a picture of Paulo scoring, captioned with the emoji of a gorilla...

I'm not that fussed on this one tbh. Particularly given the athletes themselves use it as a symbol of "beast mode" (see Latrell on insta) and Paulo himself saw it that way

I do agree that I would steer clear of using it on an athlete's behalf given the historical connotations and the optics of it. It could be wildly misinterpreted as it seemingly has been this time.

I also think the Rudolph warning is fine. Let him be a larrikin but also draw a line early. It's not like they've sanctioned the bloke and it underlines an understanding of what the NRL expect from their players.

franklin2323

Immortal
Maybe the NRL should give players a script or something and then they know what they can or can't say.

Instead of always moving the line

franklin2323

Immortal
The panthers players interview was more entertaining, light hearted and didn’t create any negative discussions afterwards. we don’t need robots, we just don’t need dumb arses either.
I’m sure if he had left it at “I’m off to northies to sink a thousand beers” we would have all smiled and moved on. Like said it was low on the level of dumb things to say and was treat accordingly so by the nrl.

He finished off by staying he is having an ice bath and an early night...

Wouldn't that show he knew what was right and wrong?

People are just jumping at shadows these days

Exsilium

First Grade
Maybe we can learn from Darius Boyd.

hqdefault.jpg

Meth

Staff member
I wasn't particularly bothered by Rudolph. Could have chosen his words better, but the idea was that he was portraying a caricature, followed by the punchline "nah, it's all about recovery these days"

"anything" is unfortunate, but whatever.

The gorilla emoji is also unfortunate, but an accident.

Play on.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm not that fussed on this one tbh. Particularly given the athletes themselves use it as a symbol of "beast mode" (see Latrell on insta) and Paulo himself saw it that way

I do agree that I would steer clear of using it on an athlete's behalf given the historical connotations and the optics of it. It could be wildly misinterpreted as it seemingly has been this time.

I also think the Rudolph warning is fine. Let him be a larrikin but also draw a line early. It's not like they've sanctioned the bloke and it underlines an understanding of what the NRL expect from their players.

I don't think it was that bad, either; but what I'm saying is, if the NRL takes offence to Toby Rudolph being an average 20-something bloke, then they should have higher standards for themselves, imo.

Bazal

Post Whore
He finished off by staying he is having an ice bath and an early night...

Wouldn't that show he knew what was right and wrong?

People are just jumping at shadows these days

Wouldn't that suggest that he knowingly said something he knew was wrong, and the warning (and line in the sand) is perfectly valid?

Bazal

Post Whore
I don't think it was that bad, either; but what I'm saying is, if the NRL takes offence to Toby Rudolph being an average 20-something bloke, then they should have higher standards for themselves, imo.

I suppose the key difference is that we don't get to know what action they took internally.

For all we know they sacked a Merkin, they're unlikely to make it public when it was an internal employee with no public profile

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Obviously a lot of people who've taken offence haven't seen the residents at Northies.

Can you please go back through the thread and quote one person who said they were offended. You keep saying this, yet no one that I've seen has professed to be anywhere near offended. I haven't seen anyone in the media either

soc123_au

Staff member
Wouldn't that suggest that he knowingly said something he knew was wrong, and the warning (and line in the sand) is perfectly valid?
Not really imo. I saw that as part of the joke, not an attempted back peddle.

My only issue with the consensus that the incident warranted a reaction from the NRL is the target audience. If it was on radio or a more serious post game show then the comments including the thousand beers part is a bit inappropriate. On the Matty Johns show however it's as appropriate as Jim Jefferies dropping C bombs during his stand up. It's what the audience expects.

It's certainly not a huge deal on both fronts, hopefully Toby doesn't go into his shell in future interviews, because he does seem like a genuine character.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Can you please go back through the thread and quote one person who said they were offended. You keep saying this, yet no one that I've seen has professed to be anywhere near offended. I haven't seen anyone in the media either

Can you please go back through the thread and tell me where I "keep saying this"?

franklin2323

Immortal

Past players hell even up to the 00's would go out and drink after the game.

Sport Science says it is wrong as every player would know

franklin2323

Immortal
Not really imo. I saw that as part of the joke, not an attempted back peddle.

My only issue with the consensus that the incident warranted a reaction from the NRL is the target audience. If it was on radio or a more serious post game show then the comments including the thousand beers part is a bit inappropriate. On the Matty Johns show however it's as appropriate as Jim Jefferies dropping C bombs during his stand up. It's what the audience expects.

It's certainly not a huge deal on both fronts, hopefully Toby doesn't go into his shell in future interviews, because he does seem like a genuine character.

That is how I see it. Play to the audience of that program

How Identity Politics prolongs racism: A First Nations perspective | The Bay Observer

HOW IDENTITY POLITICS PROLONGS RACISM: A FIRST NATIONS PERSPECTIVE
MARCH 19, 2021

If you continue to poke at a wound, it will never heal. The more you leave it open, people stay hurt and angry. Remember something: Hurt people hurt other people. Please stop trying to save the World!!!

You should consider the big mistake environmental activists make by using First Nations to push for an aggressive climate change strategy. A systematic effort is being made to connect Indigenous people to the radical environmental agenda, without any real effort to listen to our views and priorities. Slapping labels on complex issues and reducing an entire people to an argumentative stereotype is the worst form of identity politics. Clearly, we do not need identity politics to advance reconciliation. It is an impediment to the process. What we need is the ability to act upon our rights so that we may determine our own political and economic futures, free from dependence and paternalism.