What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 R5 Fri - Penrith 30-10 Canberra @ BlueBet

Round 5: Penrith v Canberra

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hineyrulz

Post Whore
It doesn't matter what theatrics may occur on a virtual forum (it's not real life). I have only ever followed Penrith since 1988 and the Storm has never been my team. I only admired them (before the cheating), to be honest mostly because they pissed off most of League Unlimited. If Penrith keep pissing people like you off on this site off for the next couple of years, I know things will be going well and we'll probably have won a comp.
Actually Penrith don't piss me off at all, they are a home grown team and fantastic to watch. I just think you are a bit of a knob, i just enjoy jumping on some of the smug bandwagon and watching some of the bites.

Back on ignore after this post i suppose...........

mongoose

Coach
We're obscenely stacked from 8-13, but only one of our back line players would crack most teams in the top four.

Despite the recent success, there is still a significant amount of femtobrain in the squad. Players like Whitehead seem to keep it under control, but Young (hopefully working on it) and Rapana (no excuses) hold the torch up high.

I don't think our "best forward pack in the NRL" were that good tonight, neither were our halves. Wighton scored another one of those tries he seems to score every game but didn't do much else. Williams had a terrible game.

GAZF

First Grade
'
Lot of variables. I dont think this was our best 17, but yeah you guys were missing some people, but i dont think that impacts things as much as losing a key spine player in game

As a raiders fan i look at this game and think the panthers are clearly better than us, and if both teams played their best, the panthers would win. But i dont think we're out of our depth. I saw enough in this game to think we're capable of an upset, and that's what it would be, an upset, in the finals if we met again there
Not worth panicking yet, but improvements and/or adjustments need to be made. Penny (and Melbourne) have adapted to rule changes far ahead of most.

Bazal

Post Whore
Its kinda like this for me

We need everything to go our way to beat the panthers. This did not happen tonight and in fact we had a few things go against us like the CNK head knock

Hopefully if we meet again this year everything goes our way lol

Look from the outside looking in I feel like it's very hard for everything to go Canberra's way because there really are so many big brains trying to play 4D chess...

pantherz9103

First Grade
Actually Penrith don't piss me off at all, they are a home grown team and fantastic to watch. I just think you are a bit of a knob, i just enjoy jumping on some of the smug bandwagon and watching some of the bites.

Back on ignore after this post i suppose...........

I think you're a bit of a nob too I guess. The difference is I'm not interested in your post history, even with 117,000+ posts...sorry.

skeepe

Immortal
I don’t think Rapana is the issue. One guy I’ve barely noticed this year is Simonsson. He’s probably solid but I just think we can do better there.

Would love to see what Smith-Shields can do, he has that real X factor IMO, at least in the lower grades. He should be given a chance to see if he can handle the step up.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I think you're a bit of a nob too I guess. The difference is I'm not interested in your post history, even with 117,000+ posts...sorry.
LOLZ now mentioning my post history, still not on ignore yet???? Actually i kinda hope you do........ Please.

Go the Strom!!!!!

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Look from the outside looking in I feel like it's very hard for everything to go Canberra's way because there really are so many big brains trying to play 4D chess...

For sure our dumbness will always be a handicap. It is what it is in that regard. Stick has put together a squad of the finest geniuses the NRL has known.

But us being loose units is a known quantity and sort of factored in. Stuff like the CNK head knock are these external factors

Basically I wouldn't count Rapana giving away the dumbest tackle restart the world has seen leading to the Panthers knock out try as things going against us. I have already costed that in. Like how retailers cost in shrinkage from shoplifting.

GAZF

First Grade
My comment wasn't intended as a slight on Whitehead. He is great player.
Completely understood. Whitehead is a fantastic all-rounder, and his proximity to any other centre in the squad is an indictment of said centres.

soc123_au

Staff member
'
Lot of variables. I dont think this was our best 17, but yeah you guys were missing some people, but i dont think that impacts things as much as losing a key spine player in game

As a raiders fan i look at this game and think the panthers are clearly better than us, and if both teams played their best, the panthers would win. But i dont think we're out of our depth. I saw enough in this game to think we're capable of an upset, and that's what it would be, an upset, in the finals if we met again there
Fair point. It is harder to adjust mid game.

If we meet in the finals it will be a belter of a game. The only teams capable of stopping us this year I believe are Canberra & Souffs.

GAZF

First Grade
For sure our dumbness will always be a handicap. It is what it is in that regard. Stick has put together a squad of the finest geniuses the NRL has known.
How this quality transcends coaches and players over decades eludes me. Probably because I'm also a f**king moron.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
I don’t think Rapana is the issue. One guy I’ve barely noticed this year is Simonsson. He’s probably solid but I just think we can do better there.

Would love to see what Smith-Shields can do, he has that real X factor IMO, at least in the lower grades. He should be given a chance to see if he can handle the step up.
Yea Rapa is the least of our worries when he is on the wing. Simo hopefully has Timoko or Valemi biting at his heels. Harley unfortunatley blew his bicep so he is gone for the year.

Croker is a big worry. I can't see how Kris/Scott isn't a better centre combo at the moment.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Also as an aside i normally am happy to give it to Rapana for being a rare merkin but in his defence he was absolutely cooked when he gave away the six again. He is loose at the best of times. Just one of those things. Ref got that one absolutely right it was so blatant

reanimate

Bench
The 2003 Penrith side and this one have a lot in common but the '03 side was everyone's second favourite team. Not so this one. Wonder where the attitude comes from? They really don't need it. Makes them hard to watch.
‘03 Penrith had likeable blokes in the side like Joe Galuvao. This Penrith side is just smug on top of smug. Maybe literally in the case of Spurt Gapewell.

GAZF

First Grade
Yea Rapa is the least of our worries when he is on the wing. Simo hopefully has Timoko or Valemi biting at his heels. Harley unfortunatley blew his bicep so he is gone for the year.

Croker is a big worry. I can't see how Kris/Scott isn't a better centre combo at the moment.
I was pumped about Simmo's prospects when we hammered the Tigers at Parra in 2019. A quick peak and severe flatline since, unfortunately. I'd have thought his cover defence would be great considering the pedigree.