What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The I was wrong thread

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Same, the Parra win has brought some belief back.

Interestingly enough I don't see any posts in here from R&WTILLIDIE. I would have thought he would be flooding this thread with posts.

BHAHAHAHAH

here’s another one for you. I was wrong when I said Aitken would be a gun centre and Tim Lafai was a good buy. I was also wrong when I said McCullough and Alvaro were washed up plodders. I was also wrong in thinking The dogs had recruited well and would finish in the top 8 (still early days but for now, it’s no where near possible)

possm

Coach
Bless me father for I have sinned.

I boasted to the Frontrow F
orum that my dear St George Dragons would be in the top four in 2021. I know it is only early in the competition but I feel we will end up in the top 4 this year. It has been over 10 years since we won our last competition.

With your help, I'm sure we will end up in the top 4.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Bless me father for I have sinned.

I boasted to the Frontrow F
orum that my dear St George Dragons would be in the top four in 2021. I know it is only early in the competition but I feel we will end up in the top 4 this year. It has been over 10 years since we won our last competition.

With your help, I'm sure we will end up in the top 4.
If you say it every year it will someday come true I guess;)

here’s another one for you. I was wrong when I said Aitken would be a gun centre and Tim Lafai was a good buy. I was also wrong when I said McCullough and Alvaro were washed up plodders. I was also wrong in thinking The dogs had recruited well and would finish in the top 8 (still early days but for now, it’s no where near possible)
Me. Word for word.

ALSGI

Bench
I actually tipped we’d be top 4-6 this year and have a bet on us winning @$41 - they’re down to $34 today - get onboard people. Wish I put a little more on them:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

DE3A1926-BA67-406A-A7CB-9B92109D3CC1.jpeg

I think if we’re in the finals anything can happen but Penriff, Souffs, Roosters and Stawm currently have the better rosters if they can keep their top players on the field.

Most pleasing to see us kick on without an in form Captain Hunt and Bird last week.

Always been a massive Dufty, Hunt, Lomax, Rava and Lawrie fan. I was happy with signing Alvaro - always remembered him being solid, especially against us. Also always saw Ellis as a good get.

I was so wrong about our Hooker and current Captain AM, also Tyrell, Merrin and Williame. Hope I’m wrong about McGuire.

Still not sold on Norman after the last few years but after re-watching the last 2 games he’s been very good - just not $800k+ good and I won’t go into what I think of his off field shit - but credit to him he’s been a lot more influential on our recent success than most people realise.

Dragons Management also need some credit here too (yes I know vommit and a long way to go) but the changes are so refreshing - Coaches Hook, Elliot, Gentle and also having Sowie/Nighty helping out.....just gold.

slippery5

Juniors
I stated earlier we were a bottom 4 team based on Trials and Charity Shield efforts. But we are the real deal now - these early games are important to build confidence and string wins together.
Hook and Co have one a stellar job and I did not believe him when he said ‘ this is not a rebuilding year’ - the guy is a great coach and has the team believing . The way everyone does their job and keeping the game plan simple - based on great defence reminds of the 2009/2011 Bennet era.
The fact that two of a coaches were sacked by Gould makes it even better.

slippery5

Juniors
I actually tipped we’d be top 4-6 this year and have a bet on us winning @$41 - they’re down to $34 today - get onboard people. Wish I put a little more on them:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

View attachment 47530

I think if we’re in the finals anything can happen but Penriff, Souffs, Roosters and Stawm currently have the better rosters if they can keep their top players on the field.

Most pleasing to see us kick on without an in form Captain Hunt and Bird last week.

Always been a massive Dufty, Hunt, Lomax, Rava and Lawrie fan. I was happy with signing Alvaro - always remembered him being solid, especially against us. Also always saw Ellis as a good get.

I was so wrong about our Hooker and current Captain AM, also Tyrell, Merrin and Williame. Hope I’m wrong about McGuire.

Still not sold on Norman after the last few years but after re-watching the last 2 games he’s been very good - just not $800k+ good and I won’t go into what I think of his off field shit - but credit to him he’s been a lot more influential on our recent success than most people realise.

Dragons Management also need some credit here too (yes I know vommit and a long way to go) but the changes are so refreshing - Coaches Hook, Elliot, Gentle and also having Sowie/Nighty helping out.....just gold.
Not to mention Shaun Timmins

Jim Dragons

Juniors
I don't want to burst any party balloons; but......
The coach we all seem to hate with a passion - in 2018 - had us leading the comp all the way thru to Round 16 (12-3 with 1 x bye). I recall at the time we were playing direct running football with lots of 2nd phase play. The trouble is that towards the end of that run l believe that we had a few dropped balls and the game plan went out with the bath water for a 'hit it up for 6 and kick' which made us predictable.
Possibly that is why some question the views of our previous coach.
We should also recall before we start planning any parties just yet - that in Round 21 of that year our current coach was sacked by Penrith; 4 weeks out from the Semi while running 4th. Reason tabled was he created a Toxic Environment around the club. This week he stated that he was certainly part of the problem (one Gus Gould no doubt the other 50% of the problem). I am sure Hook has learnt a lot since then... but the jury is still out (like a jury in the De Belin case if we want a giggle - no I am not trying to be insensitive to either side).
When hook came he stated that he would target the team playing the type of football the Dragon Army would be proud of.... after last weekend he has my attention :)

possm

Coach

View attachment 47530

Right now I am extremely happy in the way the Dragons are playing. I suppose we will know a lot more about our chances after the ANZAC Day match against the Roosters.

redv13

Bench
Mate Timmins has been there for over 10 yrs as far as I know and part of the old boy brigade. Loved him as a player but has he actually done anything good? Serious question, what’s his role and what’s he done?
Pretty sure Timmo is involved in the pathways of the juniors: Matt’s, Ball, identifying young kids coming through the system etc. Timmo and Matty Head are doing a good job under Griffins watchful eye

ALSGI

Bench
Pretty sure Timmo is involved in the pathways of the juniors: Matt’s, Ball, identifying young kids coming through the system etc. Timmo and Matty Head are doing a good job under Griffins watchful eye
Good to hear, thanks redv13.
Have seen him about a lot especially after training (when I lived around the corner in the gong a few yeas ago) and wondered what he actually did.

Crush

Coach
The coach we all seem to hate with a passion - in 2018 - had us leading the comp all the way thru to Round 16 (12-3 with 1 x bye). I recall at the time we were playing direct running football with lots of 2nd phase play. The trouble is that towards the end of that run l believe that we had a few dropped balls and the game plan went out with the bath water for a 'hit it up for 6 and kick' which made us predictable.
We should also recall before we start planning any parties just yet - that in Round 21 of that year our current coach was sacked by Penrith; 4 weeks out from the Semi while running 4th. Reason tabled was he created a Toxic Environment around the club. This week he stated that he was certainly part of the problem (one Gus Gould no doubt the other 50% of the problem). I am sure Hook has learnt a lot since then... but the jury is still out (like a jury in the De Belin case if we want a giggle - no I am not trying to be insensitive to either side).
When hook came he stated that he would target the team playing the type of football the Dragon Army would be proud of.... after last weekend he has my attention :)
I don’t think it’s just Hook.
It’s Hook, Elliott and Gentle.
We have a team of tacticians/coaches.
VS Mary, Hornby and Young.

TruSaint

Referee

Fair.

But I note you rightly mentioned that Griffin took blame or partly, for his axing at Penrith.

I can't recall our previous head coach, ever accepting blame for his decision making, and would rather divert attention to single moments in a game.

Time will tell if Griffin is the right fit, but how refreshing is it to hear " I got that wrong " by a coach.

slippery5

Juniors
Mate Timmins has been there for over 10 yrs as far as I know and part of the old boy brigade. Loved him as a player but has he actually done anything good? Serious question, what’s his role and what’s he done?
Was he ever seen in the dressing rooms before & after the game as he is now? I don't recall seeing him.
I'de like to think Lomax's defensive structure has improved with a little help from Timmins as opposed to our last years defence coach, who is going great guns up north.

I

And on the theme but with a twist...

future posts I hope I can be proven wrong on for the benefit of the club..

Matt Dufty. For the great moments he delivers at times, he just isn’t ever a fullback I’m ever truly confident in. Not his size. Just where his head is sometimes and bad habits. I truly want him to own that number 1 jersey but those bad habits still pop up and sadly can lead to opposition tries. If he was demoted or left the club it wouldn’t bother me one bit as it stands. Cmon mate..

McCullough. To me we should have gone all out to get a guy like Brandon Smith, whose got many more seasons ahead and has played (and won) in arguably the best Rugby League system in the comp. Guys of this quality rarely come into the market. At 31 McCullough fills a gap ok and may help our salary cap, but is he the guy to drag us into the 8. And we’ve signed him for 3 years. 2 I could understand... but 3.... I doubt he’s gonna absolutely be that spearhead out of dummy half we so desperately need but want to be proven wrong.

Kerr playing on the edge. To me it smacked of trying to create our own “Kikau”. We need horsepower in the middle, and someone who can help us “get out of the shit” when stuck in our own 20. Against manly last night I still think that was an area we struggled in. He’s one of those guys and I feel is wasted out wide.

Anthony Griffin. Many will think he’s great already coz he’s not McGregor. And a coaching change can usually bring initial renewed positivity. I thought Griffin was the best option of mediocre options to coach at the time but had no real expectations things would be much different than 2020. I’m still on the fence even though we’ve had a few wins. Cautious optimism is where I’m at rather than being convinced he’s a great coach and a great signing for us. Yet.

At 2 wins from 3 games this season so far, it’s a seemingly positive start too. However our wins have been against the 2 most impotent clubs in the comp. If offered 2 from 3 at the start of the year I’d take it... but it’s been like winning at the bong bong picnic races. The true test of where we really are is when we race at Randwick. Against the likes of Penrith, Melbourne, Souths again. I’m not going to be fuming if we don’t beat them, but it’ll be how we truly compete that’ll dictate where my head is at.

I really want us to succeed. Rather than be a punchline like we have for the last few seasons. I never thought we were a wooden spoon team this year like many “experts” predicted in the media, but 10-12 is where - if I had to bet my life on it - we’ll finish. It’s a decent roster n far better than most see.

I’m glad I’ve been wrong about a few dragons folk and want to be wrong about the others I’m still doubtful of.

I hate it when I’m right.... on things like this...

The 4 wins were a false dawn... 2 against teams who were woeful.... only the Eels game was commendable...

I wanted to be wrong but..

Dufty..... he’s not a long term fullback option if we genuinely want success. It’d be easier to find Private Ryan than Dufty at times... but that aside.... he’s always got errors in him, most of which are just lapses in concentration. I’d be happy to see him go elsewhere...

McCullough. I’ve heard him being commended for his quick passing game out of the ruck. I haven’t seen it, nor seen much else to suggest he was the right man to sign for 3 years.... we lucked out having him when mcinnes went down. But he has all the dynamism of a rug..

Kerr. IS NOT AN EDGE FORWARD. Completely shown up today against the tigers. Had no steam left in him and riddled with errors. Put him back in the middle where he belongs. It’s embarrassing him leaving him out there...

Griffin. 4 wins 4 losses. We’ve beaten
  • Manly when they were hideous,
  • similarly the cowboys,
  • the Knights who - aside from being average, lost a bunch of players to injuries in the game
  • The Eels. Our only commendable win.
We’ve lost to..
  • Cronulla at home.
  • Warriors at home
  • Roosters flogging at the SCG / Anzac Day
  • Tigers at home.
All those losses were pretty average but hard to go past today as the worst dragons performance all season losing to the tigers..

Griffin is far from the dragons Saviour just yet. We have had a relatively soft draw thus far, yet the play the likes of the Storm, Rabbitohs, Panthers, Raiders.....

Many people will be happy with Griffin simply because he’s not Mary. But he’s done absolutely nothing in my mind yet to prove he’s any better...