What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

RedVDave

First Grade
I think I have watched more movies these last 2 months than I have the last 2 years.

I Spit On Your Grave 2 (1978) - Intense would be an understatement not surprised the amount of controversy it stirred up they went on to make a sequel and a remake which I felt was unnecessary.

Leprechaun: I like campy horror movies usually but this was just bad.

Rec: the original Quarantine film from Spain very good watch better than the US version.

Too Young To Die? Good story telling I enjoyed this film.

Freaks Of Nature: was original and had potential I thought but just got worse with each passing minute.

The Fly (1958) - I didn't have high expectations but this ended up being really fun.

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest: really good movie Jack Nicholson is so good.

Now You See Me: a bit of fun as to was the sequel not a great movie by any means but something with a bit of imagination.

Amelie: I'll admit I love foreign films this may raise a few eyebrows but I thought it was a really good movie.

Children Of The Corn: hard to believe a Stephen King short story spawned ten films but this is another great movie from arguably one of the greatest writers ever.

The Hitman's Wife Bodyguard - a fun movie Salma Hayek was fantastic I thought.

Spiral: didn't think anything would ever be worse than Saw IV but this one may have just beat it out.

The Dead Zone: another Stephen King book turned into a great movie.

PJ

First Grade
Sid and Nancy. I'd heard good things, but wasn't for me. Mainly cause Nancy was so poorly acted, but maybe thats how she was. 6/10

mongoose

Coach
Beckett - Tries so hard for realism but its still very far fetched... I like Tenet but im not sure John David Washington is a very good actor....

Boy - early Taika Waititi movie. Pretty funny and clever... goes a bit slow though.

Parra

Referee
Bombshell - watchable. Not great. One very tense and uncomfortable scene with Margot Robbie and John Lithgow make the movie. Worth watching for that scene alone.

PJ

First Grade
After how much I loved Riders of Justice decided to catch up on another Danish Mads Mikkelson movie on SBS.

Another Round is about some school teachers who decide to test a theory that humans are born with a 0.05% alcohol definiency and spend their day keeping a level of inebriation.

I enjoyed it, well acted with some funny moments but more about the relationships of a guy essentially in a midlife rut.

8/10

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
Beckett - Tries so hard for realism but its still very far fetched... I like Tenet but im not sure John David Washington is a very good actor....

Boy - early Taika Waititi movie. Pretty funny and clever... goes a bit slow though.
I actually liked this until the one stupidly unrealistic scene and not with the tone of the rest of the film near the end. I guess John David Washington must be a marmite actor because I've liked him in everything I've seen him in.

Wizardman

First Grade

The list from worst to best Superman is mostly spot on apart from Superman 3. I might be the only human on Earth who liked Superman 3 but I still think it was a genuinely entertaining movie. Reeve and his Kent background story, Pryor, Vaughan, the blonde bimbo, robot computer, Superman turning bad, the two Supermen fight.....I loved it. Not a patch on the first two, but I liked the movie for its entertainment value. Superman 4 on the other hand....what a complete f**k up of a movie. I can't defend it. Cannon studios alley was producing charming action B movies....not daring to create a Superman movie that only an "A" list production should dare touch

soc123_au

Staff member
The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas

One that has been on the to do list for a while ticked off.

Lot's of historical inaccuracies, but still did a good job of getting it's point across. I always knew it wasn't going to have a happy ending, but I wasn't expecting how it played out. A tough watch due to the subject matter, but would recommend.

Roosters93

Juniors

Lot's of historical inaccuracies, but still did a good job of getting it's point across. I always knew it wasn't going to have a happy ending, but I wasn't expecting how it played out. A tough watch due to the subject matter, but would recommend.

shiznit

Coach

Funny you bring this film up…

my daughter was given the book to read recently at school…

once she finished it we watched the film… seeing how a teenager from today processed that story was interesting. Initially when she was reading it she thought it was about as fictional as a marvel movie… but as I started to explain the holocaust and WWII she kinda went all weird about it. Almost disbelief that something like this could actually happen.

kids these days live such a sheltered existence… sure they have their own issues but I could see how affected she was by the whole thing.

I mean I’m sure I lived a f**king sheltered existence compared to my parents and they did compared to the generation before them… but the gap seems like it’s getting larger and larger between each new generation.

It got me thinking about the types of films I’d like to share with my kids.

soc123_au

Staff member
Funny you bring this film up…

my daughter was given the book to read recently at school…

once she finished it we watched the film… seeing how a teenager from today processed that story was interesting. Initially when she was reading it she thought it was about as fictional as a marvel movie… but as I started to explain the holocaust and WWII she kinda went all weird about it. Almost disbelief that something like this could actually happen.

kids these days live such a sheltered existence… sure they have their own issues but I could see how affected she was by the whole thing.

I mean I’m sure I lived a f**king sheltered existence compared to my parents and they did compared to the generation before them… but the gap seems like it’s getting larger and larger between each new generation.

It got me thinking about the types of films I’d like to share with my kids.
Schindlers List is a good one to share with a teenager. I watched it with my son when he was 13 or 14. He has been a modern history nerd since he was little, but a film like that shows the human side so much more than a doco or text book can.

It is one of lifes great pleasures sharing great films with your kids. From about 13 to 18 we made sure to watch one great film together each week. We still have a few to tick off the list, but lockdown has screwed that for the time being as he is living it the city to be close to the Uni he is locked out of.

Matua

Bench

This might surprise you but I straight up hate this movie and actually feel it's moral core is disgusting.

. The film manipulates the viewer into feeling for the German boy despite the fact the whole movie has numerous numbers of Jews going to their death. The perspective is messed up.

soc123_au

Staff member
This might surprise you but I straight up hate this movie and actually feel it's moral core is disgusting.

. The film manipulates the viewer into feeling for the German boy despite the fact the whole movie has numerous numbers of Jews going to their death. The perspective is messed up.
. I understand that point of view, but I dont see a problem with the German boy being a character that can be sympathised with. 8 year old kids aren't monsters. The story line of the mother not knowing what was going on I found hard to swallow.

Matua

Bench
. I understand that point of view, but I dont see a problem with the German boy being a character that can be sympathised with. 8 year old kids aren't monsters. The story line of the mother not knowing what was going on I found hard to swallow.

I don't have an issue with the character at all, but with the manipulation. Maybe it's not so egregious in the book?

soc123_au

Staff member
I don't have an issue with the character at all, but with the manipulation. Maybe it's not so egregious in the book?
I've never read the book, so I'm not sure. I imagine the book would be in a similar vein though. From a "truth" perspective I dont think the movie (and book most likely) should be used as a teaching tool in regards to the holocaust, but I think both could spark an interest for young people that see it to investigate further and learn what happened and how it came to pass.

What manipulation specifically? I'm not sure I know what you mean.

My issues with it from an accuracy perspective are firstly that the child of a high ranking SS officer would have been in the Hitler Youth and already brainwashed to hate Jews. There is no way of anyone in those families to maintain an level of naivety.

The other is the mother not knowing what is really going on, the wife of an SS officer would also be well versed on Nazi ideology. The other issue with the mother not knowing is if she didn't know it's fair to accept that the majority of Germans were oblivious to what was going on, which is pretty hard to swallow.

I think they tried to show the level of control the Nazis tried to impose, but it was probably too subtlte to be driven home to those that arent already familiar with the history.