What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Watched Old Henry last night .
Brilliant western set in 1906 starring Tim Blake Nelson & Stephen Dorff.
Story is about a widowed farmer with a teenage son who find a man who has been shot & barely alive who has a satchel full of cash .
3 men who are supposedly sherif & deputies come looking for him .
Things get nasty & it's basically you shouldn't antagonise a farmer who has a past .
Think John Wick in the old west.
It's not all action .theres great character build up & a few surprises .
8.5/10

soc123_au

Staff member
Anyone know what services are showing Many Saints of Newark in Australia? Every time I look online for info I keep getting smashed with spoilers, so I'm loathe to keep looking.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
candyman - is essentially a black lives matter movie that peele was wedged a horror icon into somewhere.
many saints of newark - great story, just dont go in expecting it to be a tony soprano biopic
the green knight - that took a long time to go absolutely nowhere, rubbish.
oxygen on netflix - not bad, like a future tech version of ryan reynolds buried. very intense

Aliens - original 1986 theatrical cut on 7mate. Haven’t seen it for nearly 30 years since extended cut came out. Jeez it just blisters along. Very tense too. Still brilliant.

elyod138

Bench
candyman - is essentially a black lives matter movie that peele was wedged a horror icon into somewhere.
The original Candyman is full of social commentary too, it's a part of the fiber of the story.

I thought The Green Knight was great, not really a crowd pleaser though. It's good to know going in that it's a visual adaptation of Arthurian poetry. The arthouse visuals do a good job setting the tone and mood.

I watched Dune on Friday, I couldn't wait the 6 weeks for the cinema release here. This needs to be seen on a big screen though, there's so much scope and scale in both the sound and visuals.

It won't be for everybody, just like the books. As a huge fan of sci fi and fantasy novels, words can't describe how well Denis Villeneuve did with the introduction to this story.

Just know going in that it's part one of a larger story. It ends in the only real logical spot you could split the book but if you enjoyed it you will be left unsated and will want more immediately, even moreso than Fellowship of the Ring for me. It feels like a 2.5h prologue.

Waiting patiently for December 2nd to see it again on the big screen.

Last edited:

Aragorn

First Grade
Dune

7/10

Hard movie to pull off. Complicated to understand as a first timer…..

Look forward to #2 although I cheated and also watched the original ….

kit66

Bench
Dune

7/10

Hard movie to pull off. Complicated to understand as a first timer…..

Look forward to #2 although I cheated and also watched the original ….

I'll give it 9/10.
I read the books about 35 years ago and loved them, they're among my favourite sci-fi. This movie version brought the book flooding back, it was so well done. I'd forgotten what a brutal story it actually was. All the leads were perfect and obviously studied their characters from the book rather than just a directors interpretation of them. I can't wait for the cinema release or for part 2. I was as impressed with this film as I was with my first viewing of Star Wars IV.

elyod138

Bench
I'll give it 9/10.
I read the books about 35 years ago and loved them, they're among my favourite sci-fi. This movie version brought the book flooding back, it was so well done. I'd forgotten what a brutal story it actually was. All the leads were perfect and obviously studied their characters from the book rather than just a directors interpretation of them. I can't wait for the cinema release or for part 2. I was as impressed with this film as I was with my first viewing of Star Wars IV.
The director is a huge fan of the books too, you can see how real his passion is for it here:

mongoose

Coach
Malignant - i usually don't go in for these James Wan horrors. Those Conjuring movies are complete garbage imo but the premise (twist) for this is so grotesque and entertaining, I dug it.

kit66

Bench
The director is a huge fan of the books too, you can see how real his passion is for it here:

Thanks for posting that, it made a lot of sense and that was also one of the best scenes in the movie, nice to hear the directors thoughts and motivations. It's good to know he loved the books as much as I did. The music is perfect too.

Latest posts