What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complaint of racial abuse in Roosters v Broncos

Iamback

Coach
Again the weight of evidence. At the time a number of players came forward and made the complaint that it was said. None came forward then or since and said it wasn’t. The complaint by the players was contemporaneous. The defence that it wasn’t said will be slated days after. A good tribunal will notice that and it will sway them. Here is another thing. It’s much easier to tell the truth than lie in an administrative process like this. If people choose to lie or obfuscate it will be duely noted. This is a place of work and employees need to tread carefully in situations like these. If he’s found to have done this and other players make shit up to support him that can be actionable in itself.

Remember the Reece Walsh swearing at the Ref?

He had Carrigan and Reynolds stand up tell the NRL that the swearing was directed at them

Yet they still suspended him

Vlad59

Juniors

He had Carrigan and Reynolds stand up tell the NRL that the swearing was directed at them

Yep but I’d suggest that this will be treated far more seriously than that one (rightly or wrongly). And I don’t recall them making that claim on the field but later as may happen with some witnesses in this case. In any case a referees word will always be preferred to a players for obvious reasons.

Vlad59

Juniors

To explain my position mate I spent two decades working in administrative processes in tribunal work. I have no doubt Vlandys and Abdo will have the right people to conduct and hear this one. This is an extremely serious issue and one where due process must be followed. But They are not going to tolerate any nonsense. I’ve seen overt racism directed at players of clubs I’ve been associated with and I hate the fact this happens. There are people out there laughing at Mam for crying afterward. Even on this forum. This stuff hits players hard. Zero tolerance.

Iamback

Coach
Yep but I’d suggest that this will be treated far more seriously than that one (rightly or wrongly). And I don’t recall them making that claim on the field but later as may happen with some witnesses in this case. In any case a referees word will always be preferred to a players for obvious reasons.

I remember them at the time, Hopefully a micophone picked it up or like Montoya he pleads guilty.

Or it gets messy and lingers

Iamback

Coach
To explain my position mate I spent two decades working in administrative processes in tribunal work. I have no doubt Vlandys and Abdo will have the right people to conduct and hear this one. This is an extremely serious issue and one where due process must be followed. But They are not going to tolerate any nonsense. I’ve seen overt racism directed at players of clubs I’ve been associated with and I hate the fact this happens. There are people out there laughing at Mam for crying afterward. Even on this forum. This stuff hits players hard. Zero tolerance.

That sucks we are seeing it but the flip side is the hate going the other IF he didn't say it.

As was the case with Josh Reynolds, Tristan Sailor, JDB and the other guys who were accused to later be found not guilty

Vlad59

Juniors
That sucks we are seeing it but the flip side is the hate going the other IF he didn't say it.

As was the case with Josh Reynolds, Tristan Sailor, JDB and the other guys who were accused to later be found not guilty
Those are criminal cases with a much higher onus of proof.

Valheru

Coach
Someone mentioned earlier that Brandy said on radio this morning that the NRL had the audio. Not sure if it was confirmed what was actually on the audio though.
A vague comment at best.

Of course they have whatever audio is available, what matters is what can be heard on the audio

soc123_au

Staff member
A vague comment at best.

Of course they have whatever audio is available, what matters is what can be heard on the audio
My take on the comment is that it's additional audio not heard in other broadcasts. You are right, It's very vague. It will all come out at some point.

MKCS

Juniors
Look if he did it then give him 12 weeks. Sets a good precedent for everyone.

Seems a bit harsh to be honest. Latrell Mitchell deliberately ran his shoulder into Joey Manu's face fracturing his cheek and then wanted to punch on with the guy and only got half that.

If Leniu is indeed found guilty I'm fully in favour of a punishment but 2-3 weeks and doing some positive work for an Indigenous organisation seems fair enough for mine.

RedVee

First Grade
Holy f**k what a dickhead Spencer is.

Whether he said it or not, calling out Mam straight after the game and telling him that if he wants to do anything at the hotel “I’m right there” is peak stupidity. Then actually trying to start something that night… I actually feel for the Roosters here because he’s clearly brought the Panthers arrogance with him.

Look at Weidler’s grin…. Headline!

jack coburn

Juniors
Seems a bit harsh to be honest. Latrell Mitchell deliberately ran his shoulder into Joey Manu's face fracturing his cheek and then wanted to punch on with the guy and only got half that.

If Leniu is indeed found guilty I'm fully in favour of a punishment but 2-3 weeks and doing some positive work for an Indigenous organisation seems fair enough for mine.
May be a bit harsh but if Latrell has called for it the NRL better do it.
I think all players should arc up a bit more to tell the truth. Not just about this issue but all the dog shot's in the game as well. Instead of saying let the NRL sort it out tell everyone it was a dog shot and deserves half a season. Would add plenty of spice to the next time teams play each other.
Pretty sure if the roosters/broncs play again this year will be sold out..

Latest posts