What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simon Mannering

ozbash

Referee
I have always thought Mannering would make a good captain, a quiet achiever type.

Sammy Rapira would make a great captain in a couple of years, Kiwi captain..

Jesbass

First Grade
That gets bandied about a lot.......I'm even more astounded if that
is the case.

Is that the Warriors party line Jes, or just scuttlebutt around the forums ??

Neither, Skinner. (I don't actually know what the Warriors party line is in this regard, especially as there is continued speculation about Price's future - why talk about future captains when Price's contract being extended hasn't been ruled out?) I actually heard it from someone with very close ties to a rival club that is trying to take Mannering off our hands, and who have subsequently found out what they're competing against.

I don't think Mannering as a captain would be a bad choice, to be honest. Another two with obvious leadership potential in my eyes are Rapira and Packer, but I wouldn't want either as captain until they're longer in the tooth.

Skinner

Coach
Neither, Skinner. (I don't actually know what the Warriors party line is in this regard, especially as there is continued speculation about Price's future - why talk about future captains when Price's contract being extended hasn't been ruled out?) I actually heard it from someone with very close ties to a rival club that is trying to take Mannering off our hands, and who have subsequently found out what they're competing against.

I don't think Mannering as a captain would be a bad choice, to be honest. Another two with obvious leadership potential in my eyes are Rapira and Packer, but I wouldn't want either as captain until they're longer in the tooth.

There is always a succession plan mate, for when it eventually happens.

Jesbass

First Grade
There is always a succession plan mate, for when it eventually happens.

Of course. As will a Plan C, if neither Price nor Mannering stay. They just don't usually make that sort of thing public knowledge. ;-)

Dave Q

Coach
Ive heard he will be captain as well from another forum.

I dont know if he talks a lot on the feild, but theres lots of teams where the captain is a bit quieter anyway.

So long as he continues to lead by example.

And boy, what an example he has set.

If you look at his stats, seriously, hes almost the perfect footballer.

Worth the price of admission just to watch him play stuff..and hes not a jinky back.

He has a huge following amongst the games purists.

I reallly cant speak highly enough of him.

Last edited:

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
How is Rapira too young/inexperienced to captain, but Mannering isn't?

Mannering is only about 5 months older. Mannering played a handful of FG games in 2005, Rapira made his debut in 2006. Mannering made his Kiwis debut at the end of 2006, Rapira made his early 2007.

Jesbass

First Grade
How is Rapira too young/inexperienced to captain, but Mannering isn't?

Mannering is only about 5 months older. Mannering played a handful of FG games in 2005, Rapira made his debut in 2006. Mannering made his Kiwis debut at the end of 2006, Rapira made his early 2007.

I think you just answered your own question. :D

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I think you just answered your own question. :D

ok...so Mannering is ok to captain because he is a few months older and his career has been about half a season longer? :?

On the other hand, Rapira has been seen as a leader since a much younger age and has much more rugby league experience in general.

Jesbass

First Grade
ok...so Mannering is ok to captain because he is a few months older and his career has been about half a season longer? :?

On the other hand, Rapira has been seen as a leader since a much younger age and has much more rugby league experience in general.

I was going to add average minutes to the list, but Rapira has picked up his game in that regard by a long way.

I just think having a young captain is setting us (and him) up to fail. Mannering isn't ideal, but he seems to be the best of what we've got. Rapira and Packer also have great leadership material - I wouldn't be surprised if Packer captains the Kiwis at some point.

Skinner

Coach
Indeed he will...form and injuries providing. He has always deputised well for Pricey.

playdaball

Bench
Indeed he will...form and injuries providing. He has always deputised well for Pricey.

Luck's challenge over the next 2 years will be securing a regular spot. The competition is pretty fierce for backrowers at the club. One would thing if Mannering is resigned he'll get one of the spots.

In saying that forget the rest Luck would be the man to get the captain's role.

Iafeta

Referee
But is he a long term prospect himself? I say that meaning that with Mannering and Lillyman there's a bit of like-for-like now in the backrow. One of the strengths of the club's younger players are our backrowers. In a couple of years, O'Regan and Elijah Taylor could be ready for first grade. As much of a long shot as it is, maybe Hame Lauaki will get his head screwed on, get fit and deliver on the promise.

playdaball

Bench
But is he a long term prospect himself? I say that meaning that with Mannering and Lillyman there's a bit of like-for-like now in the backrow. One of the strengths of the club's younger players are our backrowers. In a couple of years, O'Regan and Elijah Taylor could be ready for first grade. As much of a long shot as it is, maybe Hame Lauaki will get his head screwed on, get fit and deliver on the promise.

I agree with you and kind of said that but did a 360. Luck could be a one-two season capt until the next long term skipper comes along - who knows that could be somebody from outside the club i.e. - another Price, Wiki, Ridge,Campion etc

ozbash

Referee
The Warriors have won a bidding war to retain rising league star Simon Mannering.

The Kiwis utility, who yesterday signed a lucrative three-year deal which will see him stay in Auckland until at least the end of 2012, was initially off contract at the season's end and his future had been the subject of much speculation in recent weeks.
Considered one of the hottest properties in the game, it is believed Mannering had been courted by the Rabbitohs, Roosters and Dragons across the Tasman and Super League heavyweights St Helens.
But yesterday just over a week after telling the Warriors he wanted to test his value on the open market Mannering put loyalty before cash and signed again with the club that gave him his shot in the NRL.
His manager Steve Gillis, who recently said there was "enormous interest" in his client from overseas, never sought written offers from rival clubs because Mannering's heart was with the Warriors.
"We agreed to terms on Saturday morning," Gillis told Sunday News.
"It's a three-year deal and Simon's very happy with it.
"I think both Simon and the club are glad the whole matter has been put to bed before the season kicks off.
"The negotiations with the Warriors went really smoothly and we never sought written submissions from other clubs because Simon decided he wanted to stay in Auckland

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4848482a1823.html

Latest posts