What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you rate the Knights 97 Premsiership?

Knigts premiership 97?

• Total voters

The Engineers Room

First Grade
The official competition was the ARL and the Knights won it. Super League was not the official competition. It was a different game and competition.

big country

Juniors
The official competition was the ARL and the Knights won it. Super League was not the official competition. It was a different game and competition.

exactly - kerry packers breakaway WSC counts for zip - look up dennis lillee's bowling figures and his 60 odd wickets during WSC are not counted - super league was the breakaway comp so those stats should mean zip

Big Pete

Referee
I love the Raiders fans arrogance.

Somebody said if they were apart of the ARL, they'd claim it was the superior competition. Of course they would, because they'd be in it. :lol:

Keep it up guys!

Shorty

Staff member
Can someone tell me why the Knights' 97 shouldn't count as a proper premiership?
Same with the Broncos...

Both were the best in their competition, won the Grand Final...end of.
Jealousy and resentment, among other things are always brought into this topic.
And seriously, the f**king '*' thing needs to go, both count equally as a premiership.

miccle

Bench
I love how they belittle the Knights triumph in 97 to try and ramp up the comp that no one cared about. Talk about small penis syndrome.

And yet somehow the GF that no one cared about got a better crowd figure.

But don't worry LS, you have many small things.

perverse

Referee
Can someone tell me why the Knights' 97 shouldn't count as a proper premiership?
Same with the Broncos...

And seriously, the f**king '*' thing needs to go, both count equally as a premiership.
it's an argument that is propegated by the newcastle hate machine on this forum.

imo they are both valid premierships. our grand final was better, though.

Apey

Staff member
it's an argument that is propegated by the newcastle hate machine on this forum.

imo they are both valid premierships. our grand final was better, though.

pretty much what I think. They are both valid but naturally I prefer the ARL one :cool:

Green Machine

First Grade
We care Green Machine - however I don't think the poll is about some game in 1998. It is about the 1997 Premiership.

The history books will always say that the Broncos and the Knights won premierships in 1997. We have absolutely no idea who would have won a "super bowl" type of match - Broncos probably would have won that match-up on paper, but Manly should have won the ARL Grand Final on paper too...history says they did not.

I wouldn’t get too excited about a Bobby Fulton coached Manly having some claims to being a Parramatta of the early 80’s or a Raiders of the late 80’s to early 90’s or a Broncos of the early 90’s. Manly under Bobby Fulton were cheque book kings and their win in 1996 was similar to 1987, nothing followed. Manly couldn’t beat the Dogs in 1995.
Why is it that Raiders have to bring everyone down to their own level? It's beyond pathetic.

Which level? Are you talking about the bench mark; the 1989 classic?

Canard

Immortal
exactly - kerry packers breakaway WSC counts for zip - look up dennis lillee's bowling figures and his 60 odd wickets during WSC are not counted - super league was the breakaway comp so those stats should mean zip

Yes because Rugby League always takes its lead from Cricket.

The fact is that both comps back together in 1998 with a 50/50 comp called the NRL.

Fraser

I wouldn’t get too excited about a Bobby Fulton coached Manly having some claims to being a Parramatta of the early 80’s or a Raiders of the late 80’s to early 90’s or a Broncos of the early 90’s. Manly under Bobby Fulton were cheque book kings and their win in 1996 was similar to 1987, nothing followed. Manly couldn’t beat the Dogs in 1995.

just a terrible shame raiders crowds are now smaller than brumbies crowds ffs...

you got any idea why this happened?? dunno why more people would rather watch the yawnion in canberra...

Same with the Broncos...

Can't believe I'm about to say this but:

I totally agree with you Shorty.

What was the point in anyone playing that season if it doesn't count as a premiership? They can only win whats there for them to win.

big country

Juniors
yes, there was one that involved the best teams and best players, Brisbane won it... i guess you must have missed it, too busy watching the reggies comp ;-)

if it was so big how come only 2 or 3 thousand odd used to turn up to watch the likes of teams steeped in tradition like the Hunter Mariners and Adelaide Rams play? Guess Reggies must have been more interesting ;-)

bobbis

Juniors
The 2 1997 premierships should be rated euqally, officially as a whole premiership each, but with an asterix saying it was a competition divided. There's alot of bitter people here. Broncos probably would've beaten the Knights, on paper and form Broncos were better, the same was true of Manly yet the Knights upset them. Still the Broncos weren't Manly and I can't see them slipping in a gf, 6 from 6 for Bennet coached Broncos sides in deciders. In reality it doesn't matter who probably would've won, the NRL is a merger of both competitions and as such it recognises both club's successes.

MSIH

Bench

Pretty sad you have to keep referring to the 1989 Grand Final all the time. Must be sh*t being a Canberra fan.

Latest posts