What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shannon Gallant vs Ty Williams

Who should start the season at fullback?

• Ty Williams

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Shannon Gallant

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters

Talanexor

Juniors
if u guys dont wanna play gallant could we get him back :p

Even if you did, Sheens would still find a way not to put him in the team.

I'm still confident we'll see him play in the next few weeks. Hopefully Bani will play so badly and get dropped, forcing us to move Ty to wing. I'll reserve judgement until I see the game on Friday night though.

Shorty

Staff member
^Was about to say the same thing, it's getting beyond a joke now.
Hopefully Bani plays so badly he'll get dropped?
Newflash, if Bani plays badly the team will suffer, I don't know what you're on....Bani doesn't deserve the sh*t copped from you.
It would be fair enough if you had justified reasons but you don't, and if he does well for our team than that's all that matters.

Shannon will get a spot when he earns it, players don't get first grade spots from fans' personal opinions of them.

So Ty is going to start the season at fullback and Gallant will be playing QLD Cup.

We signed Gallant to play fullback, nothing but. He has speed to burn and excellent support play. Tigers fans rate him pretty highly. I haven't seen THAT much of him, and I didn't get to see any of the trials. But I HAVE seen Ty Williams play fullback, and IMO we won't win games with him there.

Then again, if Ty Williams is back to his pre-injury best form, I'm all for giving him a crack at it. I guess I'd prefer to see him play on the wing, where there's still a vacant spot up for grabs, as he's played most of his career there and is far more comfortable in that position.

Who would you rather start the season at fullback, and why?
looks like shannon has burnt his fingers from tigers nrl graham:x

Talanexor

Juniors
Look, the bloke is a natural fullback, he's very quick and has good positioning. You'd be having a form slump too if you were given a career lifeline only to find out you'd been dumped for slow, aging winger playing out of position and playing badly.

Elyod did raise a valid point about fans clamouring for a player to be dropped and replaced by a new face without anyone having seen him play or train. But seriously, Williams isn't going to get better at fullback. Even when Bowen gets back, it'll still be a long time (ie, the rest of the season) until he gets back to anywhere near his peak.

I've never seen Mighty Mouse play on the wing, but I think he could adapt. Man we'd have a fast backline:

1. Bowen
2. Gallant
3. Graham
4. Tonga
5. Geia

Charlie124

First Grade
Hahaha so you say that Gallant is a natural fullback but have him on the wing instead of the three natural wingers we currently have. Youre dropping all three experiecend wingers for a rookie to play out of position.

Shorty

Staff member
Eloyd, I can atleast say for myself my opinions of Ty are from observation.
Clearly, this is the only thing I feel strongly about (I think Ash just needs improvement, Rovelli will warm and there's nothing wrong with Bani).
Ty can't even catch a winger that is running downfield when he's running across field....he has NO SPEED and NO ATTACK.
If you look up the requirements of a fullback those two are attributes needed for a successful team.

I'm extremely passionate about my team and have always supported them as they are but we're not making the 8 with the current line up and the weakest link is Ty at fullback.
Defensively it's only going to get us so far.

But I think tonight's game will show us what we're going to be looking like for the rest of the year.

Fordy20

Juniors
Gallant is no rookie. Anyone with half a brain who saw him play at the Tigers over the last two seasons would had him at fullback there this season and probably all of last season too. Yes he's a natural fullback and he's being wasted at the Cowboys in the lower grades. The guy has a young family and upped stumps for Townsville for a first grade opportunity to follow his dreams. He's being screwed around to accommodate Ty Williams at fullback? The bloke would be regretting the move and wishing he joined the police force instead.

Bowen would be better off at pivot when he came back anyway.

Shorty

Staff member
The other thing is, what happens when Bowen retires? Ty is not the long term solution, obviously or if Bowen gets re-injured.
We need to look to the future a bit and realise that these boys aren't going to be around forever.
It's looking more and more likely that Thurston isn't staying....we need to get some youth into the team.

Talanexor

Juniors
Hahaha so you say that Gallant is a natural fullback but have him on the wing instead of the three natural wingers we currently have. Youre dropping all three experiecend wingers for a rookie to play out of position.

No, this is what I'm saying:

• Gallant is a natural fullback, Ty Williams is not
  • Despite ^, Bowen is probably a better option at fullback
  • If we wanted to, we could have a super-quick backline by moving Gallant and Geia to the wings. I never said we should, or that speed should be the only thing considered.
Actually, Shorty, that's something I didn't think about, life after Bowen. How old is he? You'd have to wonder how many more injuries he could have before he's burnt out. Two knee reconstructions in as many years can't be an easy thing to get over.

Wouldn't giving them a naivety cheque do more harm than good? I believe you meant reality cheque.

Either way I agree. It's good to see Henry rewarding good trial form and either way it's only for the short-term. Once Bowen is back he'll slot straight back into the fullback position.

hay big pete whats happen to shannon galant? looks like he burnt his fingers from tigers:x

Big Pete

Referee
From all reports it's taking him awhile to adjust.

Had a solid game on the weekend where he scored a try but he's yet to impress Henry who's even considering an injury ridden Ty Williams over him. That's about as low as you can get.

StinkyPete

Juniors
Mackay Cutters game Live on ABC TV Saturday 3/04/10 at 2pm
the game will feature many Cowboys players that some people might want to watch. Gallant, Geia, Malone, Achurch, Harris and Rovelli have all been named.

elyod138

Bench
Mackay Cutters game Live on ABC TV Saturday 3/04/10 at 2pm
the game will feature many Cowboys players that some people might want to watch. Gallant, Geia, Malone, Achurch, Harris and Rovelli have all been named.

Lol, that's my post from the Stampede, I'm famous!

In the press conference for the team announcement Henry said he liked Gallant's game on the weekend but he needs to string a couple of those games together to put forward his case for selection.

StinkyPete

Juniors
Lol, that's my post from the Stampede, I'm famous!

In the press conference for the team announcement Henry said he liked Gallant's game on the weekend but he needs to string a couple of those games together to put forward his case for selection.

haha yeah hope you don't mind me stealing it. though the LU boys should get a heads up aswell and I couldn't be bothered re-wording your post.

Latest posts